follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #29
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Our cars have an idiot gauge for coolant temperature. That gauge doesn't actually tell you the coolant temp. It rises while the engine is warming up, but it stops in the center when the coolant reaches about 180° F and stays there at least until 220° (the hottest I've had my coolant), possibly higher. At some point when you exceed the "normal" temperature range, it starts climbing again.

If you monitor the engine temp using Torque or an aftermarket gauge, it can be disconcerting the first time you're driving in traffic and see the temp swing 30° up and down as you stop and go. If you leave your A/C on all the time, the fan will kick on and keep it around 190° to 195°. If you turn the A/C OFF, you'll stay around 190° while you're moving and quickly rise to 220° when you stop. But the needle on the gauge on the dash will never move.
True for earlier twins, but 2017+ BRZs have true temperature for coolant and oil displayed on the multifunction gauge.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #30
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Things I wish I could have had from the factory:

* radio delete
* rear seat delete
* oil pressure gauge
* extending sun-visors
* thicker steering wheel (my '14 was nicer than the '17)
* one-button fully disable ECS/TC/etc without ice mode issues pedal dance has

Things I'm really glad they didn't bother with:
* armrest
* 'premium' sound system
* electric adjusting seats

Mostly, no useless weight. I don't mind if they're options - I get why people want touring car comforts - I'm really glad I have heated seats, for example (so nice racing when it's damn chilly, and road tripping)
So no useless weight... but you want heated seats I know what you are getting at though, it might be nice to have a totally stripped down version with no AC, radio, etc. for the 20 people in the US that will buy it. Better yet, make the armrest, premium sound and electronically adjustable seats standard on the Limited trim for those that realize they’ll never notice the increase of maybe 20 lbs. on a street driven car.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #31
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
A factory arm rest that we don't have to checkbox a $400 option for.

Black, or gunmetal brush trim pieces rather than the silver. I hate it, and how I sometimes get glare from the trim pieces hitting my eye in the sun.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (11-06-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #32
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
So no useless weight... but you want heated seats I know what you are getting at though, it might be nice to have a totally stripped down version with no AC, radio, etc. for the 20 people in the US that will buy it. Better yet, make the armrest, premium sound and electronically adjustable seats standard on the Limited trim for those that realize they’ll never notice the increase of maybe 20 lbs. on a street driven car.
I had a Neon ACR before this... A/C was extra if you wanted it. They sold a lot early, but the second gen sold under 700 over two years. Factory legal camber to -2.3° and instructions for shooting the struts in the service manual was such a cheap (for the company) solution to legal competitive advantage racing. Its the little stuff...

All that would probably add a hundred pounds though, a lot in the usual extra drivers in a premium sound setup. I still have a set of seats with all the goodies from one of my other Neons and they weigh a ton. And I had to think hard about the heated seats. I also road trip in the car, so those are nice, especially since I like it ten degrees cooler than my wife does... I'll fix the stereo myself...

Really, I was very happy there's no useless crap I hate that I had to get.
chaoskaze (12-18-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #33
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My 17 could use:

Flocked dash

Fixed seats

Rear seat delete option

1/2 cage, harness bar and 6 point harnesses

Kill switch

Oil pressure

Fire extinguisher

Which I can do all myself, I think the interior if fine for a cheap RWD little sports car
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (12-18-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #34
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Things I wish I could have had from the factory:

* radio delete
* rear seat delete
* oil pressure gauge
* extending sun-visors
* thicker steering wheel (my '14 was nicer than the '17)
* one-button fully disable ECS/TC/etc without ice mode issues pedal dance has

Things I'm really glad they didn't bother with:
* armrest
* 'premium' sound system
* electric adjusting seats

Mostly, no useless weight. I don't mind if they're options - I get why people want touring car comforts - I'm really glad I have heated seats, for example (so nice racing when it's damn chilly, and road tripping)
A thicker steering wheel would be wonderful! I had the TRD wheel on my previous FRS and loved how it was both smaller yet had a larger grip.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #35
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
A factory arm rest that we don't have to checkbox a $400 option for.

Black, or gunmetal brush trim pieces rather than the silver. I hate it, and how I sometimes get glare from the trim pieces hitting my eye in the sun.

Wrapped mine in brushed Black metallic, in my build thread.

Main things for me without jacking up the price are the sliding visor as others have said. And would be nicer not to have the 80's orange clock

Otherwise its an interior for a basic lightweight vehicle without much extra crap in it to add weight. Exactly why I bought it. You guys crying Apple play or whatever can just go add an aftermarket head unit.

One thing I would pay extra for I love having in my 20 year old Vette is the Heads Up Display. Makes it easy to keep your eyes on the road.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #36
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
I had a Neon ACR before this... A/C was extra if you wanted it. They sold a lot early, but the second gen sold under 700 over two years. Factory legal camber to -2.3° and instructions for shooting the struts in the service manual was such a cheap (for the company) solution to legal competitive advantage racing. Its the little stuff...

All that would probably add a hundred pounds though, a lot in the usual extra drivers in a premium sound setup. I still have a set of seats with all the goodies from one of my other Neons and they weigh a ton. And I had to think hard about the heated seats. I also road trip in the car, so those are nice, especially since I like it ten degrees cooler than my wife does... I'll fix the stereo myself...

Really, I was very happy there's no useless crap I hate that I had to get.
Maybe a hundred lbs. if the “premium sound” included a subwoofer, larger amp, etc. Simply installing a good aftermarket head unit and keeping the rest of the system stock made everything sound ten times better with added functionality as a bonus... as well as actually being a bit lighter than the garbage factory head unit.
I don’t care if the seats are power adjustable... just adding manual lumbar and bolster adjustment won’t add anywhere near 100 lbs.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #37
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Wrapped mine in brushed Black metallic, in my build thread.

Main things for me without jacking up the price are the sliding visor as others have said. And would be nicer not to have the 80's orange clock

Otherwise its an interior for a basic lightweight vehicle without much extra crap in it to add weight. Exactly why I bought it. You guys crying Apple play or whatever can just go add an aftermarket head unit.

One thing I would pay extra for I love having in my 20 year old Vette is the Heads Up Display. Makes it easy to keep your eyes on the road.
In my 17 I did add an aftermarket head unit... then Subaru wised up in 18 and put in a factory head unit with AA/CarPlay. A decent head unit doesn’t add any weight to the car, but makes it more enjoyable for people that use the car for something other than purely track use.
“You guys crying” about things like a clock can just put a piece of tape over it or cut the power to it
Old 10-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #38
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
would rather do something like this

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75181

But simply put a battery voltage display
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Mini-DC-...x3lA:rk:4:pf:0
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:23 AM   #39
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cupholders are horrible on these cars lol super tiny and annoying when driving. An armrest would be nice as well not to mention the sound system. I would've loved buttons on the steering wheel too...just little nit picky things I can live without honestly. I love the car for what it is-a true driver's car! But yeah things could be better lol
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:59 AM   #40
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
A more stylish ( non-digital) clock would be a nice touch / gesture, somewhere in the center area, or even passager side (easy viewing angle by driver). Round, classy, color aside
Old 11-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #41
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S, MA70
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
1. Make the G-meter functional while moving, like it is the JDM 86.
2. Make the G-meter functional while moving, like it is the JDM 86.
3. Make the G-meter functional while moving, like it is the JDM 86.
4. Offer the euro market armrest as a dealer option in the US.
5. Full leather seats rather than alcantara/leather.
yurikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yurikaze For This Useful Post:
TachyonBomb (11-08-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #42
j3rf

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would like an OEM rear seat delete option similar to how the 350Z rear seat space is set up. Some storage, couple of speakers, maybe a subwoofer option.

j3rf is offline   Reply With Quote