follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #15
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Return them if you can. If not, resell and give Bilstein B14s a shot. I've ridden in cars with BC's and they are always bouncy, as are most other budget coilovers, especially those that come with tophats and lots of adjustment. B14s are the only coils with decent dampers under $1500 that I have experience with. That being said, I've heard a lot of people really like the ST coils, and any of the RCE options are bound to be good, since they are the suspension experts for this platform.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #16
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have mine set at 8 clicks from soft in the front and 10 in the rear and they feel near stock, with the height no adjusted at all (preset height from the box), near as in still pretty damn stiff but comfortable enough for my girl and with the height no adjusted at all (preset height from the box). Need to re-adjust my endlinks.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #17
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
B14s are the only coils with decent dampers under $1500 that I have experience with
In australia mca blues are 1500 so 1100usd? These usually beat out everything in Their market but shipping costs mean not to many people overseas can get them. Totally agree on palming the bcs off and getting something decent.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northwest86 For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (06-21-2016), why? (08-19-2018), xxBrun0xx (06-22-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #18
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Shipping costs and no local serviceability/warranty. Hence world wide vendors with local dealerships may have extra edge for their offerings.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #19
Northwest86

Yep. Here apart from the fact that any overseas offerings are no better thats why pretty much everyone runs mca's if they are serious.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have this issue too, no matter what dampening setting I put, ride height nearly at max lowering. Even worse with someone else in the car. It's almost unbearable and gives me a headache, feeling my brain levitate inside my skull on EVERY SINGLE INDENTATION in the road. It's not like every 5 minutes or so, its literally every second of driving causes the bobble head effect. I'm going to be looking at better options around $2K range. I should have held off, but I really wanted the car lowered. Well, BC BR coilovers surely do their job at letting you lower your car, but goddamn it the tradeoff is not worth it to me. Have even contemplating going back to the stock struts... I have a friend who owns a 370Z that says to just get 12K or 14K springs, he has 14K, and it will fix the issue. But does it for my car?
Old 08-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #21
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
You want low with a nice ride, quit f@3$in around and do it right with bags.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryeWest View Post
I have just purchased the BC BR Coilovers
There. It's a coilover with zero development for just lowing and look nice while parked. .....Don't know why you didnt get teins since they are on 3rd generation of coils for 86s. you paid 1000 for something that's should be around 600.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #23
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
I have this issue too, no matter what dampening setting I put, ride height nearly at max lowering. Even worse with someone else in the car. It's almost unbearable and gives me a headache, feeling my brain levitate inside my skull on EVERY SINGLE INDENTATION in the road. It's not like every 5 minutes or so, its literally every second of driving causes the bobble head effect. I'm going to be looking at better options around $2K range. I should have held off, but I really wanted the car lowered. Well, BC BR coilovers surely do their job at letting you lower your car, but goddamn it the tradeoff is not worth it to me. Have even contemplating going back to the stock struts... I have a friend who owns a 370Z that says to just get 12K or 14K springs, he has 14K, and it will fix the issue. But does it for my car?
Your friend has a different car with different suspension geometry. Do not try 12k or 14k springs.

This thread is a good example of what I talk about when I say that while some shocks are adjustable, there may not actually be 1 good setting in the 40 clicks they let you click. A lot more to it than "soft" and "stiff".

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Tristor (10-25-2018), wparsons (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #24
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Forgive me if you tried this, but did you preload them correctly? It matters.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
Forgive me if you tried this, but did you preload them correctly? It matters.
Was literally about to mention this, bouncy ride is often an issue with preload and is usually a sign that there isn't enough preload on the spring. Too much preload and the ride becomes stiff and jarring.

I recommend setting the shocks at the middle point of their adjustment range.

Standard preload for most shocks is to have the car in full droop and fully loosen the spring collar so the spring is completely loose, then spin it up until the springs are snug, then do ~3 more full rotations of the collar and then lock it up and you can adjust preload from there to preference. Still too bouncy? Tighten it up a turn. Too stiff? Loosen it a turn.

Once preload is where you want it, you can adjust ride height but do NOT adjust the spring collar for this on these coils. Instead loosen the lower collar on the shock and spin the entire shock in the shock body (I'm not certain this is the correct terminology so I hope what I'm saying makes sense) and you'll see the entire thing move up and down. Use this to set height as desired. Once set, get your alignment and you're done!

If you try adjusting preload and can't find something that works, contact BC and see what they have to say.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #26
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Was literally about to mention this, bouncy ride is often an issue with preload and is usually a sign that there isn't enough preload on the spring. Too much preload and the ride becomes stiff and jarring.

I recommend setting the shocks at the middle point of their adjustment range.

Standard preload for most shocks is to have the car in full droop and fully loosen the spring collar so the spring is completely loose, then spin it up until the springs are snug, then do ~3 more full rotations of the collar and then lock it up and you can adjust preload from there to preference. Still too bouncy? Tighten it up a turn. Too stiff? Loosen it a turn.

Once preload is where you want it, you can adjust ride height but do NOT adjust the spring collar for this on these coils. Instead loosen the lower collar on the shock and spin the entire shock in the shock body (I'm not certain this is the correct terminology so I hope what I'm saying makes sense) and you'll see the entire thing move up and down. Use this to set height as desired. Once set, get your alignment and you're done!

If you try adjusting preload and can't find something that works, contact BC and see what they have to say.
Yep. In simpler explanation, someone conveniently posted a video of the BC preload process in this thread.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #27
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songha View Post
I have mine set at 8 clicks from soft in the front and 10 in the rear and they feel near stock

This setting feels exactly the same as both extremes, 2 front/0 rear, or 30 front/28 rear. Dampening does almost nothing for my car.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #28
Northwest86

Holey shit. I come back to this thread years later only to find people discussing preload as a way to change performance in this application. Preload adjusts rideheight here. Thanks for the laugh