follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #85
No1der
No1der

Drives: BRZ Limited Satin White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
+1 for the BRZ
No1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #86
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just did this successfully to my BRZ on my own since I found most of the wiring posts here conflicting and/or confusing. Mine now have normal turn signal capabilities, no switchbacks or LEDs or anything fancy. And they don't come on with the foglights but I could probably tap the running lights or the boomerangs if I cared enough, but I don't. I'll post a video soon.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treminaor For This Useful Post:
iLaw (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #87
iLaw

Drives: 2015 BRZ, Aozora Edition
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I'd love to know which wires you tapped specifically since the BRZ is single filament vs. The FRS that is dual filament. Looking forward to your video!
iLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #88
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLaw View Post
I'd love to know which wires you tapped specifically since the BRZ is single filament vs. The FRS that is dual filament. Looking forward to your video!
I tapped the white turn signal harness wire on the passenger side and the red turn signal harness wire on the driver's side. I also un-crossed the wires within the driver's side turn signal so that power went to power and ground went to ground.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6WbbxmusL8"]BRZ Sidemarkers to Turn Signals Conversation Notes - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to treminaor For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (06-02-2016), BaatLuk (09-18-2017), norcalpb (03-16-2017), tato.valverde (06-06-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:25 PM   #89
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by treminaor View Post
I tapped the white turn signal harness wire on the passenger side and the red turn signal harness wire on the driver's side. I also un-crossed the wires within the driver's side turn signal so that power went to power and ground went to ground.
Nice!

Do the sidemarkers still light up when your headlights/parking lights are on?
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #90
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
Nice!

Do the sidemarkers still light up when your headlights/parking lights are on?
As I mentioned in the other comment, they don't come on as fog/parking lights anymore because they are wired directly to the turn signals. If you wired the boomerang wire (which is the original white and white/red wires respectively on both sides of the car in the sidemarker plugs) into the series you could probably make it work but you would have to have some sort of circuit added (relay??) in there so the sidemarkers still flash correctly regardless of the on/off state of the parking lights. I'm not an electrician lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to treminaor For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (06-02-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #91
iLaw

Quote:
As I mentioned in the other comment, they don't come on as fog/parking lights anymore because they are wired directly to the turn signals. If you wired the boomerang wire (which is the original white and white/red wires respectively on both sides of the car in the sidemarker plugs) into the series you could probably make it work but you would have to have some sort of circuit added (relay??) in there so the sidemarkers still flash correctly regardless of the on/off state of the parking lights. I'm not an electrician lol.
Firstly, thanks for making that video, it was extremely helpful.

Hmmm, I wonder what the solution is if I want my side markers to work when the headlights are on. I don't really care if they are in sync or not (in the original FRS video the side marker was synced when headlights were off and alternated when headlights were on).

You mentioned in your video that on the driver's side, the wires were crossed. and the boomerang was in that series somewhere... I wonder if you sent the ground wire from the side marker to the live wire of the signal bulb, would that work? As when the signal is off, it would be a complete circuit, but when the signal flashed the system would have no ground and the side marker would turn off...

I'm not an electrician either, so I'm just using my high school electronics knowledge for this... I have no idea if that would work lmao
Old 06-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #92
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Firstly, thanks for making that video, it was extremely helpful.

Hmmm, I wonder what the solution is if I want my side markers to work when the headlights are on. I don't really care if they are in sync or not (in the original FRS video the side marker was synced when headlights were off and alternated when headlights were on).

You mentioned in your video that on the driver's side, the wires were crossed. and the boomerang was in that series somewhere... I wonder if you sent the ground wire from the side marker to the live wire of the signal bulb, would that work? As when the signal is off, it would be a complete circuit, but when the signal flashed the system would have no ground and the side marker would turn off...

I'm not an electrician either, so I'm just using my high school electronics knowledge for this... I have no idea if that would work lmao
Before I noticed the wires were crossed on the drivers side sidemarker I ended up wiring the turn signal hot wire to the boomerang ground, which caused the boomerangs not only to flash alternately with the turn signals but it overloaded the circuit and made the sidemarker very dim.

Honestly since my tail lights have the DOT sidelights and my car is lit like a christmas tree when the lights are on I wasn't too worried about losing my sidemarkers - I gained more safety from having them as turn signals than fog lights lol. If you figure out how to have the best of both worlds let me know.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #93
iLaw

I have successfully accomplished this on the BRZ. It's complicated, if you want to do it right. It took myself, electrician, 4 relays some wires and a soldering iron to do it. Will post update soon. Taking pictures of the work and will write up a full thing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by iLaw; 07-06-2016 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iLaw For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (07-07-2016), Ben_G (01-04-2017), codesplice (07-07-2016), n0thing (01-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #94
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
I have successfully accomplished this on the BRZ. It's complicated, if you want to do it right. It took myself, electrician, 4 relays some wires and a soldering iron to do it. Will post update soon. Taking pictures of the work and will write up a full thing soon.

Why is alternating sequence considered the "right" way? Do they still work as fog lights?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #95
iLaw

Quote:
Why is alternating sequence considered the "right" way? Do they still work as fog lights?
The alternating sequence is only happens when the side markers are on (boomerangs or headlights on) and you signal. I'll explain more on why it happens in my detailed post.

Fog lights have nothing to do with the wiring for making singling side markers. Fog lights are on a completely different circuit and its unnecessary to touch them to accomplish this.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #96
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Quote:
The alternating sequence is only happens when the side markers are on (boomerangs or headlights on) and you signal. I'll explain more on why it happens in my detailed post.

Fog lights have nothing to do with the wiring for making singling side markers. Fog lights are on a completely different circuit and its unnecessary to touch them to accomplish this.
I eagerly await your write up! I love reading about how people make small but meaningful mods to their cars.
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #97
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Did you manage to finish the write up? Looking to do this to my BRZ (single filament turn signal). I bought LEDs for side markers, but may have to revert back to filament 194s. I wonder if the following works? Basically remove the side maker ground and tap it into signal wire.

edit: nvm, i believe the above would only work with frs due to double filament signal bulbs

Last edited by n0thing; 01-04-2017 at 08:14 PM.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #98
Ben_G

Drives: Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Huh...4 relays, eh? Sounds like those boomerangs made things pretty complicated. Looking forward to the write up...
Ben_G is offline   Reply With Quote