follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #29
dowfu86

Drives: '13 CBS BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafrs View Post
fyi - i'm getting this done at the end of the month at Tony Graham Toyota in Ottawa.

for BRZ guys in Ottawa, I was told that Ottos isnt even ready yet, so i might have lucked out with the FRS. They have 5 scheduled already including mine.

I'm waiting for pricing on add-ons but i'm looking at getting the spark plugs changed (no-brainer), di seals, and putting an STI motor mount in.
Can you come back and let us know what the prices are ? I was thinking of doing addons as well and hopefully changing TOB wouldnt cost an arm and leg since engine will be out
dowfu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #30
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
My car is scheduled to go in on the 14th. I'm planning on getting DI seals and sparkplugs, but only if the labor isn't crazy. I understand if they want to charge full labor, but I'm not doing it right now if that's the case. Once they give me a quote I'll share as well.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
dowfu86 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #31
ottawafrs

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowfu86 View Post
Can you come back and let us know what the prices are ? I was thinking of doing addons as well and hopefully changing TOB wouldnt cost an arm and leg since engine will be out
will do, though if the dealer wants to drop the transmission for that I'd imagine its quite an add.
ottawafrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ottawafrs For This Useful Post:
dowfu86 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #32
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Anyone in toronto booked their appointments yet with Subaru?? Can't decide which dealership to go to. Had terrible experiences at both Maple Subaru and Scarboro Subaru.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #33
KL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
Anyone in toronto booked their appointments yet with Subaru?? Can't decide which dealership to go to. Had terrible experiences at both Maple Subaru and Scarboro Subaru.
Seems like Toyota dealers are ahead of Subaru on this. None of the Subaru dealers have gotten direction on a fix yet so they probably won't take any cars in for the recall.
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #34
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
I ran my VIN on the Subaru website and it popped for the recall and directed me to make an appointment. I scheduled mine for next week since I will be out of town anyways, I'll call the service department tomorrow and see what they say about the whole thing.
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #35
ottawafrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCA1ST View Post
I ran my VIN on the Subaru website and it popped for the recall and directed me to make an appointment. I scheduled mine for next week since I will be out of town anyways, I'll call the service department tomorrow and see what they say about the whole thing.
try to talk to the manager. Based on what I've heard about Subaru dealers in Ottawa, I'd be surprised if they're ready to go next week for you.
MRCA1ST (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #36
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
My car is scheduled to go in on the 14th. I'm planning on getting DI seals and sparkplugs, but only if the labor isn't crazy. I understand if they want to charge full labor, but I'm not doing it right now if that's the case. Once they give me a quote I'll share as well.
I saw the parts list for the recall online, and I'm pretty sure I saw at least 2 of the DI seals being done as part of the recall - possibly all 4.

Maybe look into it a bit more, so you don't get into a situation where you are paying the dealer to do something they already have to do. Not saying they would pull this on you, but a lot of dealerships have bad reputations for a reason.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #37
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Quote:
try to talk to the manager. Based on what I've heard about Subaru dealers in Ottawa, I'd be surprised if they're ready to go next week for you.
yup, not ready, not sure when they will be. Should be a fun wait.
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #38
ottawafrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
I saw the parts list for the recall online, and I'm pretty sure I saw at least 2 of the DI seals being done as part of the recall - possibly all 4.

Maybe look into it a bit more, so you don't get into a situation where you are paying the dealer to do something they already have to do. Not saying they would pull this on you, but a lot of dealerships have bad reputations for a reason.
I've spent some time going through this today and still have to go back to the Toyota shop manager for clarity.

Our engines have 8 fuel injectors - 4 port injectors and 4 direct injectors.

The problem with the Teflon injector shields occurs on the direct injectors.

The recall includes O-rings and grommets for the port injectors but not the direct injectors. The Teflon seal (SU003-00322) is not included.

From what I can tell, the recall repair doesn't even take the intake manifold off.
Turbo (01-05-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #39
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Anyone have the recall completed on their vehicle in the GTA? I'll check with my dealer if they have done any yet, but I definitely don't want my car to be the first guinea pig there
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #40
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Would love to get a recommendation on a dealership as well in west GTA (Mississauga).

Closest to me is Meadowvale but not sure how good their service is.

TIA
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #41
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
will do, though if the dealer wants to drop the transmission for that I'd imagine its quite an add.

Why would they drop the transmission when then engine is already out? You only remove the transmission normally to do a clutch because that's significantly easier than removing the engine.

Once the engine is out, the clutch (and TOB) are easy to do.

When mine gets done the clutch, TOB and plugs are being done as well. No point in fighting with any of that later.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #42
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
If you're willing to drive, try Subaru of Brampton. Service manager is amazing and has helped me out a lot in the past. I have a few other BRZ buddies that drive far to service there because of the experience.

Has anyone with a BRZ successfully booked in yet and/or had the repair performed? I received my letter last week as expected, but the letter (as we know) says it is just an initial notification letter, and that they will mail me again to notify me when I should book an appointment. I am also assuming a rental will be covered?

I know of a few FR-S that are already booked in and having the work performed already as we speak, but haven't heard of any Subarus yet, so just wondering if I should continue to wait or if Subaru is ready for me to book in? Not sure why there's a difference in timing and preparedness between the 2 brands...

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all those affected by this mess!
congee (01-14-2019)