follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #15
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
We have plenty of CSG Spec C1 pads stock with more pads on the way. Thank you for taking your time to post reviews especially during the holiday season!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #16
AJ124

Drives: 13' Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some great feedback on this thread, but mainly seems to be with BBK's.

Does anyone have track experience using these pads in stock callipers (non PP) that they can share? Any comparisons to other pads would also be welcome on stock callipers.

I was looking at Project Mu Club racers, but speaking to CSG, they have suggested I might be well suited to their C1 compound. (they didn't knock P Mu CR)
AJ124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #17
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have C1 pads for stock, non PP, brakes, but will be able to try out/comment only in end of spring when season will restart. No sense on trying out to evaluate them now during very limited grip during winter season.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #18
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ124 View Post
Some great feedback on this thread, but mainly seems to be with BBK's.

Does anyone have track experience using these pads in stock callipers (non PP) that they can share? Any comparisons to other pads would also be welcome on stock callipers.

I was looking at Project Mu Club racers, but speaking to CSG, they have suggested I might be well suited to their C1 compound. (they didn't knock P Mu CR)
I know @CSG Mike was using the CSG pads on the OEM calipers. You can send him a PM.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
AJ124 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #19
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
I know @CSG Mike was using the CSG pads on the OEM calipers. You can send him a PM.
The most important part to mention is how low the caliper temps were after some hard laps. This is particularly important especially for many clients who were having issues boiling their fluid and having major caliper flex during races using other types of racing brake compounds. This major difference between our CSG Spec compounds compared to the competition results in higher pedal consistency and confidence while having very uniform and desirable disc and pad wear characteristics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
FirstWinter (01-14-2019), mixxxx (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #20
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,249 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Well there certainly seems to be some fans of the CSG pads around here. That's good to see. I must admit, my interest is piqued. Especially given the apparent skill of some drivers posting in this thread.
Something that surprises me is the number of people running staggered compounds. It has been my experience with this car that, as long as one has a properly-engineered BBK, or OEM brakes for that matter, the same compound should be used in the front as the rear. Is there some reason that may not be the case with the CSG pads? I'm having trouble reasoning that.
Also, for those of you that have FIRST HAND experience with CSG pads and DTC-60s or 70s, how would you compare them?
I'm not exactly in the market for purchasing pads, as I've got more than I can use thanks to NASA contingencies, but am always open to learning.
TIA.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #21
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Well there certainly seems to be some fans of the CSG pads around here. That's good to see. I must admit, my interest is piqued. Especially given the apparent skill of some drivers posting in this thread.
Something that surprises me is the number of people running staggered compounds. It has been my experience with this car that, as long as one has a properly-engineered BBK, or OEM brakes for that matter, the same compound should be used in the front as the rear. Is there some reason that may not be the case with the CSG pads? I'm having trouble reasoning that.
Also, for those of you that have FIRST HAND experience with CSG pads and DTC-60s or 70s, how would you compare them?
I'm not exactly in the market for purchasing pads, as I've got more than I can use thanks to NASA contingencies, but am always open to learning.
TIA.
The foundation is rooted in how each vehicle is setup, the experience of each driver, and what application the brakes will be subjected to. Maximizing the efficiency of those 4 tires is the most important factor of how brakes are setup.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #22
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,249 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I get that, but all things considered, those are pretty minor details. I'm just surprised the consensus has always been a non-split compound, then all of a sudden that seems to have changed with the introduction of a new line of pads. Odd. It's like this line of compounds doesn't play by the same rules as every other line of compounds, which makes no sense to me.
David, are you able to share a specific example of why this would be the case?
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #23
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
I get that, but all things considered, those are pretty minor details. I'm just surprised the consensus has always been a non-split compound, then all of a sudden that seems to have changed with the introduction of a new line of pads. Odd. It's like this line of compounds doesn't play by the same rules as every other line of compounds, which makes no sense to me.
Tire compound, aero setup, road courses, suspension setup, etc. all play a role in how a brake setup is suggested. The brake system listed below are setups that are either OEM or fairly close to OEM.

Loading the tire is incredibly important. To sum up what you read in this thread thus far and other setups that we have done (we hope more people chime in TBH since we sold out a couple batches already):

1. OE BRZ F/R - C1 F/R
2. OE BRZ F/R - C2 F/R
3. OE BRZ F/R - CE2 F / some regular sprint pad R
4. Brembo PP F/R - C1 F/R
5. CSG Brembo GT Front / OE BRZ Rear - C1 F / R
6. CSG Brembo GT Front / OE BRZ Rear - C1 F / C11 R
7. CSG Brembo GT Front / OE BRZ Rear - C1 F / C2 R
8. CSG Brembo GT Front / OE BRZ Rear - C2 F / C1 R
9. AP Racing Sprint Front / OE BRZ Rear - C2 F / C11 R
10. AP Racing Sprint Front / OE BRZ Rear - C2 F / C1 R
11. StopTech ST-40 Front / OE BRZ Rear - C1 F / C1 R
12. StopTech C43 Front / OE BRZ Rear - C2 F / C1 R
13. StopTech C43 Front / OE BRZ Rear - C2 F / C2 R

C1 = Our primary sprint brake compound focus - can be used from OEM tire to slick. Med/High friction characteristic.
C2 = Slightly higher friction than the C1. Designated as high friction characteristic.
C11 = Used sparingly for rear application. It's touch more friction than the C1. Med/High friction characteristic.
CE2 = Long endurance application with strong bite and extremely long wear. Low/Medium friction characteristic.

All pads have excellent consistency, modulation, high fade resistance, and high thermal capacity. They are compatible with OEM and Bosch ABS and TC application.

The major issue with other manufacturers is the major difference between each compound. While other manufacturers mull over friction coefficient, longevity, etc. with each individual compound, we built in a varying degree of each to each of our compound, making the spread of friction coefficient much smaller than our competitors.

Last edited by CounterSpace Garage; 06-24-2019 at 01:28 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
FirstWinter (01-15-2019), Pat (01-16-2019), Tristor (06-23-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #24
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm just surprised the consensus has always been a non-split compound, then all of a sudden that seems to have changed with the introduction of a new line of pads. Odd. It's like this line of compounds doesn't play by the same rules as every other line of compounds, which makes no sense to me.
Not even close to true lol. Drivers run all types of combinations with other brake pads as well. I don't see why you think it's with just these pads? Of course regardless of pad brand it's often advised to retain the same compound front & rear unless there was a specific reason the driver wanted to run a different compound in order to achieve the balance/setup they wanted.

Beginners who are new to the sport are often recommended these type of "cookie cutter" setups as well rather than experimenting with a multitude of combinations in order to minimize the variables they have to worry about. Having a simple set up will allow them to focus more on their driving as they develop.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #25
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
A large part depends on how dependent drivers are on their ABS, EBD, and VSC systems. More dependence means more heat, meaning you have to account for that heat.

Sometimes, some cars, or even certain years of cars, are overly aggressive with their electronics, leading to using a different pad to alter or band-aid that behavior.

E.g., there are CSG pads specifically designed for drivers who prefer to rely on their ABS to get 100% consistent braking every time, rather than trying to threshold brake and possibly losing that consistency. There are also compounds specifically designed to work with heavy stability control intervention
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Pat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:43 AM   #26
CounterSpace Garage

Thank you for your patience. Our CSG Spec Brake Compounds are up on our website. StopTech users rejoice! We have a brake pad compound that would jive perfectly with the brake system. :thumbups:

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/csg-spec-brake-pads

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
FirstWinter (01-31-2019), Icecreamtruk (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #27
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hell yeah, pads for the C43 kit! I was wondering when someone was going to start adding those up (tired of looking at s2000 sites).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #28
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Hell yeah, pads for the C43 kit! I was wondering when someone was going to start adding those up (tired of looking at s2000 sites).
We have setup a few STR43 and C43 kits, but very little feedback thus far due to some very frigid weather...so expected...race season isn't quite ready yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (01-31-2019)

Tags
csg brakes, csg spec