follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Composite

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Missing engine bolt near pulley ? Let me know

Hello everyone i am new to this forum and not so mechanically inclined. I know more about motorcycle mechanics than car mechanics. So i went to dealership today to have my car worked on and when i arrived home i did an inspection on my engine just to assure everything looked fine on my brz. I noticed that near one of the pullies there was an area that appears to have a bolt missing. That area were i assume a bolt should be connected also has a black metal tube protruding out of it but the tube does not connect or hold to anything, it simply just floats there. Also the pulley closest to it shakes "vibrates" way way more than any of the other pullies, kinda makes me feel as if it is missaligned. I attached some pictures i got off of the internet to show the area i am describing and also i circled the pulley that really vibrates including the area were i think something may be missing. If anyone could give me some input that would be great. The vibration of the pulley has me more concerned than the section with missing bolt but both areas i am being paranoid about could be normal. Let me know what you guys think.

Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
buckets

Drives: infiniti g37x
Garage
its probably a way to lock the tensioner back when replacing the belt, should be another stationary hole nearby in its swingpath to place a pin or allen wrench thru them both.

sorta like that, thats not an FRS btw it's a g37
buckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Not sure about the 'missing bolt' until I go check mine, but that pulley is absolutely supposed to move around and vibrate.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZC_XsJuZ20"]FR-S BRZ Belt Tensioner.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite View Post
Hello everyone i am new to this forum and not so mechanically inclined. I know more about motorcycle mechanics than car mechanics. So i went to dealership today to have my car worked on and when i arrived home i did an inspection on my engine just to assure everything looked fine on my brz. I noticed that near one of the pullies there was an area that appears to have a bolt missing. That area were i assume a bolt should be connected also has a black metal tube protruding out of it but the tube does not connect or hold to anything, it simply just floats there. Also the pulley closest to it shakes "vibrates" way way more than any of the other pullies, kinda makes me feel as if it is missaligned. I attached some pictures i got off of the internet to show the area i am describing and also i circled the pulley that really vibrates including the area were i think something may be missing. If anyone could give me some input that would be great. The vibration of the pulley has me more concerned than the section with missing bolt but both areas i am being paranoid about could be normal. Let me know what you guys think.

This is your tensioner pulley for the accessory belt. It's meant to move slightly and vibrate. As for the hole it's a way to lock the pulley in the loose setting for easy belt replacement.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Composite

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Wow thank you to everyone for your great input and even for posting a video to explain the tensioner pulley to me. This is my first post and you folks made me feel extermely welcome to this forum. Usually you get some dumb comments from people on other forums but you guys have shown me that this is a very friendly community. So mine is not broken i was just being paranoid : ) atleast now i learned a thing or two about the mechanics of this vehicle. Thank you ft86 club !!!
Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Your welcome. So more info, back in the day there would 2/3 belts (alternator/power steering/ cooling/fan belt) and you would adjust your belt tension with a bolt usually on the alternator and/or the power steering pump. Now a days they use a single belt for all the accessories, using a tensioner pulley that is spring loaded so it's self adjusting.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
xdudefromheaven
I'm a noob

Drives: Black Raven Scion FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hmm is this normal?
[ame]http://youtu.be/EG5HynQn3zk[/ame]
xdudefromheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
fistpoint