follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
M12Power

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S BeSpoke GPS Navigation Issue

For some reason, the GPS navigation does not show the correct location of the vehicle (it's way off), even after driving for a while. Is there something I need to do, or should I take it back to the dealer (which is something I'm trying to avoid...)?
M12Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:14 AM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Take it to the dealer. There's not much you can do on your end.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M12Power View Post
For some reason, the GPS navigation does not show the correct location of the vehicle (it's way off), even after driving for a while. Is there something I need to do, or should I take it back to the dealer (which is something I'm trying to avoid...)?
You could check the GPS antenna to make sure it hasn't come loose, or fallen from its mounting point. If you have the same Pioneer I just installed in mine, its mounted under the dash with a magnet so I could see it would slip off. You may be able to see that just by looking at how many Satellites its picking up. If it is not picking up enough that could be the problem.

You might also try resetting the power on the radio by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds are so.

When I first installed the one in mine it thought I was in New York and wouldn't change. It finally did when I moved the car, but you said you have already done that.

If none of that works, probably time to visit the dealer.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
M12Power

Sorry I’m new to this. How do I check the GPS antenna? Is there a video tutorial somewhere I can follow? How can I tell how many satellites it’s picking up? I may try disconnecting the battery or the fuse for the HU to see if that’ll reset it.

The reason I’m hesitant to take it back to the dealer is because they’re the ones who screwed it up in the first place. The BeSpoke Premium was supposed to be port installed, but they told me the port ran out of it, so the car came in with the standard HU. They then swapped it out with another FR-S on their lot that had the BeSpoke Premium HU

The vehicle location shown is within the metroplex where I live, but it’s on the other side of town
Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Sorry I’m new to this. How do I check the GPS antenna? Is there a video tutorial somewhere I can follow? How can I tell how many satellites it’s picking up? I may try disconnecting the battery or the fuse for the HU to see if that’ll reset it.
@M12Power I would try resetting the battery first, because if its showing you in the same town, it is getting a relatively decent signal. First though I'd check the information screen to see how many satellites you are picking up. The instructions for getting there are on page 27 of the manual. If you are picking up more than 4 (while outside, not in the garage, GPS is line-of-sight), the location should be accurate.

If you are picking up more than 4 satellites and it still isn't accurate, I'd try resetting it once, and if that doesn't work take it back to the dealer.

To answer your question above, the GPS antenna is installed inside the dash. You would need to remove the surround on the dash, remove the 4 bolts holding the radio in, then follow the thin black cable coming out of the GPS unit (bottom portion of the radio). The antenna magnetically attaches to a metal plate and (should be) located on the underside of the top of the dash, as far forward as you can reach so its under the windshield.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
M12Power (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
M12Power

Thanks Dadhawk. I checked the GPS information tonight, and it showed nothing. Everything was blank. No GPS coordinates. No satellites or altitude, so I think I will have to take it back to the dealer
Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M12Power View Post
Thanks Dadhawk. I checked the GPS information tonight, and it showed nothing. Everything was blank. No GPS coordinates. No satellites or altitude, so I think I will have to take it back to the dealer
Sounds like either they forgot to install the antenna, or it has pulled loose. If you are so inclined, it only takes about 10 minutes to pull the radio out and check it. Since it is showing you in the correct town, my guess is it was connected at one point, and that is the last coordinates its has. Any chance where it is showing is near the dealership?

Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
M12Power

I just took out the HU to take a look, and it’s now apparent that the dealer was lying to me. The HU is still the standard HU (part number PT546-00140), not the BeSpoke Premium HU (part number PT296-00142 for 2015). I will certainly be contacting the dealer. I'm also thinking about reporting it to Scion corporate.

The Following User Says Thank You to M12Power For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I'm also thinking about reporting it to Scion corporate.

I would definitely do that as part of this if you have proof they were supposed to install the other radio and did not.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
M12Power

Can the standard audio be turned into the BeSpoke Premium? Does it have the same hardware and software and just need to be activated? The dealer obviously did something to the standard unit in my car to enable the map function. When the car is started, the unit also displays “BeSpoke featuring aha.”
Old 02-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
M12Power

Finally took the car in today to get the navigation fixed. It turns out that the BeSpoke Premium is a standard Pioneer unit with a Harman unit attached to the bottom of it (the guys at the dealer didn’t know about this). Nonetheless, the dealer had ordered a new Harman unit based on the part number I gave them. They simply swapped the new one with the apparently “defective” one, and I think I’m all good now with the navigation...hopefully
Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Glad you got it resolved. As you found out, the GPS is an add-on module. For those that have the radio without the add-on module, you can get them off eBay for a fraction of what the dealer will charge you.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #13
ucsmfu

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
anyway to bypass this head unit ?

thanks