follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sounds like an upper cylinder lubricant might do the same job and not interfere with emissions. Anyone tried the Lucas UCL yet? NOw that I'm thinking about it, I might give it a shot..
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I can't help but think all of these additive products are nothing more than snake oil. I could be way off base but if there was any benefit to using them why wouldn't the refineries simply add these "benefits" to their formula, advertise the benefits and price their product accordingly.

It reminds me a lot of these little chrome plastic whistles that a few of my motorcycle friends have attached to their bikes. Their intent is to prevent having a collision with deers. I remind my friends that they also prevent collisions with giraffes and elephants while on the highways of Arizona.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le86 View Post
And you know this for a fact? Do you have any evidence or sources to back up your claims? Not trying to be a **** but I want to see some hard evidence before concluding that 2 stroke is safe for our cars.

I was merely pointing out potential hazards that adding 2t could pose to our cars.
I was responding to this which I assume you don't have any evidence of and was an assumption on your part?

You're going to foul your plugs real quick and your cats may even go out sooner. Don't forget the oil could also potentially clog the injectors, not to mention BOTH fuel pumps.

I've been using it at much higher concentrations for 50,000km in my vehicle which has a high pressure fuel pump, injectors and a catalytic converter with no ill effects. In fact it drives like new still and gets better economy than it's rated at. No spark plugs but 2T is designed not to foul spark plugs at more than 20x the amount being talked about here.
With low or zero ash content there is nothing left to block the cat after combustion.
Lastly, read up on some of the threads where it's being used and talked about and try to find some negative comment. You'll see plenty of positive comments, some that thought it was a waste of time after trying it but I can't remember ever seeing seeing a case where someone had a problem.
That's very rare on the net where everything seems to get a negative at some point by weight of numbers.

Lots of negatives from people who have never tried it of course.

I might try it in my 86 to see if it offers any benefits for economy, power and engine noise at idle. If it starts chirping I will take it to the dealer for a warranty claim and then add 2T to shut it up until it gets fixed.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
Freeman (11-13-2012), FyeaFRS (06-11-2014)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
I don't know about trying this in a brand new car, but a friend of mine has a methanol converted turbocharged Ninja 750 and he adds a small amount of either coconut or castor oil to the M100 to keep fuel pumps and other engine components happy after finding that pure methanol (and all pure alcohol fuels) provide zero lubricity.

The only thing I'd worry about is the cats, but at a low enough concentration and using the right oil I could see it being okay.

Nathan
Renewable Lubricants Inc. makes an engine oil, and oil additive, derived from various vegetable oil base stocks. Ethanol also provides poor lubricity.

Several people at bobistheoilguy use this oil and RLI 5W-40 was basically formulated for an Audi RS4 owner looking to improve on the VW/Audi oil performance. Average engine wear, especially iron, ended up be very low over a test group of various Audi's.

I've tried many different oils in my Forester (both thick and thin) and the only thing that made it quieter was running Red Line (probably due to the moly and ester base stocks clinging to the engine). I've read posts by an owner of a few exotic cars over at bitog that RLI ran quieter than Red Line.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #19
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So, I tried this...

26.37 first fill-up when new
27.37 <- first tank with TCW3

before ave 25.85mpg
after ave 26.70mpg

Hardly a good statistical sample, but it didn't hurt, might of helped.

I swear the engine sounds smoother at high rpms, but it may be that it is more broken-in, or I want it to be better. Didn't do anything for the "chirps". All gas here as 10% alcohol, that is the reason I tried it.

Using Walmart TCW3, used 2oz per re-fill, typically 10-11 gallons.

As they say YMMV.

Oh yes, I guess it saved about $1 per re-fill, don't remember what the 16 oz bottle cost, but it wasn't over $8. I'll keep it up until I use all the oil, then maybe stop and see what happens.
Ducati 848

Last edited by bpracer; 12-13-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: cost comment
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bpracer For This Useful Post:
rs999 (10-30-2014)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpracer View Post
26.37 first fill-up when new
27.37 <- first tank with TCW3

before ave 25.85mpg
after ave 26.70mpg

Hardly a good statistical sample, but it didn't hurt, might of helped.

I swear the engine sounds smoother at high rpms, but it may be that it is more broken-in, or I want it to be better. Didn't do anything for the "chirps". All gas here as 10% alcohol, that is the reason I tried it.

Using Walmart TCW3, used 2oz per re-fill, typically 10-11 gallons.

As they say YMMV.

Oh yes, I guess it saved about $1 per re-fill, don't remember what the 16 oz bottle cost, but it wasn't over $8. I'll keep it up until I use all the oil, then maybe stop and see what happens.
That result for economy is about right and so is the impression of a smoother engine. I just googled that Walmart oil and it didn't get a very good review from most people. Is it low ash or ash free?
One comment was it's cheap but very thin compared to other 2T and doesn't smell good.

How about trying a 34oz or whatever your equivalent of 1L is? of top quality ash free 2T and trying that at the same rate. It should have shut the chirps up too.
You might get 5% better economy, even smoother and shut the chirps up?
For the record ash free means there's nothing left when it burns, so nothing to block the cats, not that I can imagine that being a problem in these quantities.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
bpracer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
That result for economy is about right and so is the impression of a smoother engine. I just googled that Walmart oil and it didn't get a very good review from most people. Is it low ash or ash free?
One comment was it's cheap but very thin compared to other 2T and doesn't smell good.

How about trying a 34oz or whatever your equivalent of 1L is? of top quality ash free 2T and trying that at the same rate. It should have shut the chirps up too.
You might get 5% better economy, even smoother and shut the chirps up?
For the record ash free means there's nothing left when it burns, so nothing to block the cats, not that I can imagine that being a problem in these quantities.
The Walmart oil is ash free, as is all oil that has the TC-W3 standard. It is not synthetic.

A little digging on the internet yields that Wal Mart Super Tech Outboard is made by "Shell Oil Products US".

http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce...oil/tc-w3.aspx

I might try some synthetic when I use all the the current stuff. Soon, another variable will be thrown in, new wheels and tires. Not exactly a closely controlled double blind test, is it...
Ducati 848
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
sierra

Quote:
The Walmart oil is ash free, as is all oil that has the TC-W3 standard. It is not synthetic.

A little digging on the internet yields that Wal Mart Super Tech Outboard is made by "Shell Oil Products US".

http://www.nmma.org/certification/ce...oil/tc-w3.aspx

I might try some synthetic when I use all the the current stuff. Soon, another variable will be thrown in, new wheels and tires. Not exactly a closely controlled double blind test, is it...
I didn't realise the TC-W3 meant ash free, good info.
One of the earlier articles on this was from Europe where I think Mercedes were adding 2T as a safety measure while they developed new engines and fuel systems with the latest low sulphur fuel. From that synthetic was found to have no advantage over high quality low or ash free mineral 2T but that was from a cost point of view as others experimented with the idea.

Shell might make it but to a price and I would still be inclined to get a small amount of high quality 2T to compare.

It would be interesting to compare yours to another BRZ/86 engine at hot idle to see if it's quieter?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
bpracer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
I didn't realise the TC-W3 meant ash free, good info.
One of the earlier articles on this was from Europe where I think Mercedes were adding 2T as a safety measure while they developed new engines and fuel systems with the latest low sulphur fuel. From that synthetic was found to have no advantage over high quality low or ash free mineral 2T but that was from a cost point of view as others experimented with the idea.

Shell might make it but to a price and I would still be inclined to get a small amount of high quality 2T to compare.

It would be interesting to compare yours to another BRZ/86 engine at hot idle to see if it's quieter?
By low sulphur fuels, I assume your talking diesel engines. I have a turbo-diesel truck to tow my racecar and was thinking of adding the TC oil to it. Low sulphur diesel has slow to being adopted in the US and my truck has the older injection technology.

I actually spent part of the day trying to find some synthetic TC oil at local stores without luck. There are some high two-cycle oils to be had, but they didn't have the ashless TC-W3 rating, so I passed.

As for engine noise, the chirping from the high pressure fuel pump, would drown out a comparison. Replacement parts are at least a week away.
Ducati 848
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
sierra

Quote:
By low sulphur fuels, I assume your talking diesel engines. I have a turbo-diesel truck to tow my racecar and was thinking of adding the TC oil to it. Low sulphur diesel has slow to being adopted in the US and my truck has the older injection technology.

I actually spent part of the day trying to find some synthetic TC oil at local stores without luck. There are some high two-cycle oils to be had, but they didn't have the ashless TC-W3 rating, so I passed.

As for engine noise, the chirping from the high pressure fuel pump, would drown out a comparison. Replacement parts are at least a week away.
Yes, diesels. You have to try it in your diesel, it's been used for years in them with almost a cult following in the US. 200:1 is the rate for that one and low ash good quality mineral 2T would be perfect. I would expect 3 - 5% better economy, smoother and noticeably quieter at idle and generally when hot.
Others have reported 2T shut the chirping up with as little as 1000:1 so that's why I suspect the Walmart spec 2T is below par.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Myself and others have used in in our Nissan VQ engines over at maxima.org for ~6 months. What I've noticed, as well as others, is the same MPG but the engine is quieter/smoother at idle, starts faster, is smoother during acceleration, and has a more steady RPM at idle.

I'ver tired it in my BRZ and what I've noticed is the engine is quieter and it idles now at 700 RPM's when fullly warmed instead of the 600 before adding it. Maybe the 700 RPM will keep the oil pressure up at idle and help the Cam issue?? Just speculation....

Last edited by BRZnut; 12-14-2012 at 10:10 PM.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #26
schmearcampain

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Digging up an old thread, but since my hpfp chirping started at around 9k miles and got progressively louder as I reached 10k (I mean really loud), I did some reading and added some TCw3 to my fuel.

It's only been a quarter tank, but the chirping occurs much less frequently and is much quieter when it shows up. On a single short drive it'll come and go. Chirping at some stoplights and not chirping at others. On top of that, the engine is quieter overall.

I went conservative with a 1:1000 ratio, but I might up that to 1:750 at the next fill up.
schmearcampain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #27
cjsporl1996
Banned

Drives: WRB BRZ, Monte Carlo SS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmearcampain View Post
Digging up an old thread, but since my hpfp chirping started at around 9k miles and got progressively louder as I reached 10k (I mean really loud), I did some reading and added some TCw3 to my fuel.

It's only been a quarter tank, but the chirping occurs much less frequently and is much quieter when it shows up. On a single short drive it'll come and go. Chirping at some stoplights and not chirping at others. On top of that, the engine is quieter overall.

I went conservative with a 1:1000 ratio, but I might up that to 1:750 at the next fill up.
Just use Shell V power it will exterminate the crickets. I also like to add some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant.
cjsporl1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #28
twag4

Drives: frs
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl1996 View Post
Just use Shell V power it will exterminate the crickets. I also like to add some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant.
Or in my case, shell v power creates and/or makes the crickets very much louder.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twag4 For This Useful Post:
Pseud0logik (05-22-2014)