follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #29
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh we did try stock flash. Same issue.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #30
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
ECUTEK is being used. I'll relay the thought of disconnecting the battery and giving that a shot post flash.

We did scan for all DTC, CEL, MIL codes, ECU had nothing to report.

Thanks again for the knowledge share.
you might also want to check what version of ecutek racerom patch your tune is latest racerom patch is version 9, their were some bugs in earlier versions with idling and speed density carnt remnemer anything on cams but always best to be using latest racerom patches.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #31
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Oh we did try stock flash. Same issue.

hmmm ok thats rearly starting to look like a hardware issue with car, those cam vvt problems can be a real pain in the arse to fix as it can be actuators , oil control valves, cam sproket or even the ecu, all expensive parts. See the TSB section in this forum their is link to tsb for cam issues one has extensive testing proceedure to work out whats the issue.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...0&d=1352490977

but i think i would do the position sensor clearance one first as its cheap and easy

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1375302652

although it should be throwing cel codes, if its only a problem after flashing and no cel codes , while its annoying it might be best to leave it alone if its ok after that

Last edited by steve99; 07-27-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #32
SpectreRT

Thanks for your continued replies. It's greatly appreciated.

The shop I regular stays rather up to date, no worries there. At this point were probably looking at mechanical repairs....

Such a bummer. I'll get some in-motions logs pulled soon. Just need to prepare a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
hmmm ok thats rearly starting to look like a hardware issue with car, those cam vvt problems can be a real pain in the arse to fix as it can be actuators , oil control valves, cam sproket or even the ecu, all expensive parts. See the TSB section in this forum their is link to tsb for cam issues one has extensive testing proceedure to work out whats the issue.

but i think i would do the position sensor clearance one first as its cheap and easy

although it should be throwing cel codes, if its only a problem after flashing and no cel codes , while its annoying it might be best to leave it alone if its ok after that
Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #33
SpectreRT

Oh, my May 2015 build VIN is ~ 2000 *after* they started the countermeasures in production. I would find it highly unlikely if I didnt already have TSB 11-130-13R implemented.

Starts on: D*607924
Mine is: D*610152

My local shop has seen a few cars (2013 BRZ/FRS) that have sprocket issues. So we're likely going to start there. The referenced cars also had no CEL/MIL...

This is so annoying.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #34
SpectreRT

Did my own logging today while driving around on errands. Results were interesting.... cams looked to work just fine.

So; I'm only "crippled" on the dyno plugged up to the tuners laptop. Bug in the code? Rom version differences? I'm so confused...

Quote:

Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #35
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Did my own logging today while driving around on errands. Results were interesting.... cams looked to work just fine.

So; I'm only "crippled" on the dyno plugged up to the tuners laptop. Bug in the code? Rom version differences? I'm so confused...

yeah it probably some weird combination of events thats causing it, maybe it does not like the ecutek software connected straight after flash who knows, if that the only time it dooes it dont worry .
Old 07-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #36
SpectreRT

Issue is, we're trying to update my tune. They cant view the VVT or get appropriate power on dyno pulls because its seems to not function after an ECU flash.

When we revert my tune back to how it was and I drive home; BAM the VVT comes back.

It's bizarre. I wonder if the baseline ROM they're using is incompatible with my ECU firmware? Bug in the tune?

Quote:
yeah it probably some weird combination of events thats causing it, maybe it does not like the ecutek software connected straight after flash who knows, if that the only time it dooes it dont worry .
Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #37
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Issue is, we're trying to update my tune. They cant view the VVT or get appropriate power on dyno pulls because its seems to not function after an ECU flash.

When we revert my tune back to how it was and I drive home; BAM the VVT comes back.

It's bizarre. I wonder if the baseline ROM they're using is incompatible with my ECU firmware? Bug in the tune?
you said it did it on stcck tune ? so that rearly counts out tune.

its possible they have updated rom in ecu so if you know the original calid like D00C then see it matches, however early roms did get updates anything prior to B01x is updated to B01x
Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #38
SpectreRT

I had the dealer update my base ecu before I started modding. My first ecutek tune session was fine. After that, flashing a new rom the vvt just doesn't function on the dyno. Once I start normal driving (or hard driving) it functions just fine.

Doesn't matter what tune is flashed by the tuner on the dyno. VVT doesn't respond there. Once I'm driving, they work. Have logs to share if you're interested.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #39
SpectreRT

Quoted so you can see the post above. Happy to post or pm logs if it would help the troubleshooting / discussion

Quote:
you said it did it on stcck tune ? so that rearly counts out tune.

its possible they have updated rom in ecu so if you know the original calid like D00C then see it matches, however early roms did get updates anything prior to B01x is updated to B01x
Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #40
SpectreRT

Missed this reply somehow.

I'm rather sure they shut off/restarted a few times. I was not in the dyno room the whole time. Next attempt, I will be. I'll make sure we flash, start & idle for a bit. Shut off and wait for a bit. Start up and idle to check.

Logging via ECUTek now as well - VVT/Cams working just fine on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Really? Because you said:

"Today my tuner logged for a good 90 mins or so with fresh flashes, idle, load etc."

"Baseline pull looked decent enough - but then (I assume after reflash) the cam timing just died."

"Once I was driving home, logging with Torque app, I could see timing was what I expected."

There's nothing there about restarting the car after flashing. Just that AVCS DID NOT work after flashing, and DID work on your way home.

Maybe you should read the thread, it's only 2 pages.

If you did restart and idle the car without touching the throttle a couple of times and the cams still don't work, then I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #41
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I had the dealer update my base ecu before I started modding. My first ecutek tune session was fine. After that, flashing a new rom the vvt just doesn't function on the dyno. Once I start normal driving (or hard driving) it functions just fine.

Doesn't matter what tune is flashed by the tuner on the dyno. VVT doesn't respond there. Once I'm driving, they work. Have logs to share if you're interested.
Hmm im not sure what could be picked up from logs, but if ecuteck can monitor say the ecu commanded position of camms verses the measured position. You might be able to make an educated guess , say if the ecu is asking for 20 degrees and measured its still zero would indicate hardware issue, however i would ecpect that should trigger a cel code.

If the commanded position just stays at zero then maybe that something wierd in ecu hardware or some preset cindition is not being met.

Faults like this are going to be extremly timeconsuming and likely expensive to repair.

One of the TSB for cam issues involves replacing the ecu, its possible that the ecu hardware has a fault.

if you can source a second hand ecu you can replace it as per link below.

you can flash in the required rom calid before syncing to security if needed, im not 100% buy im pretty sure all the ecu are same hardware you just need to flash in correct rom to suit your car, flash it up with tactrix if you have one then you wont need to mess with ecutec licience.

you dont need to chage the vin in ecu for car to run

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #42
SpectreRT

Dont think its ECU related for a few reasons...
1) No CEL
2) No DTC
3) Driving around is perfectly fine. No problems to speak of.

Only issue is once the tuner flashes a new rom, ECUTek will show the commanded and the recorded VVT angles as 0. After flashing; they stated that the cam angle was not changing. Thus, they cannot update my tune for recent changes (new bolt-on components, etc)

As I mentioned, when I log on my own (daily driving or hooning) my VVT angles show/record fine. Here is a sample:

Quote:
Hmm im not sure what could be picked up from logs, but if ecuteck can monitor say the ecu commanded position of camms verses the measured position. You might be able to make an educated guess , say if the ecu is asking for 20 degrees and measured its still zero would indicate hardware issue, however i would ecpect that should trigger a cel code.

If the commanded position just stays at zero then maybe that something wierd in ecu hardware or some preset cindition is not being met.

Faults like this are going to be extremly timeconsuming and likely expensive to repair.

One of the TSB for cam issues involves replacing the ecu, its possible that the ecu hardware has a fault.

if you can source a second hand ecu you can replace it as per link below.

you can flash in the required rom calid before syncing to security if needed, im not 100% buy im pretty sure all the ecu are same hardware you just need to flash in correct rom to suit your car, flash it up with tactrix if you have one then you wont need to mess with ecutec licience.

you dont need to chage the vin in ecu for car to run

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
Attached Images