follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #169
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
slightly off topic, I'm going to be replacing my headlights with another newer oem set and I need to take off the bumper for the first time. Would anyone happen to know the part # for those plastic clips for the bumper? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I welcome any tips or suggestions for taking off the bumper, I'm worried about bumper sag after I put it all back on, any ideas how to avoid that?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #170
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i get most of my stuff from here. some of it isn't exactly the same, but the pricing tends to be a little better then OEM.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Su...lips-s/304.htm
Rican_D (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #171
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
Ah. I stand corrected! Maybe the US spec ones didn’t. I always assumed they did.

-B
I wish it would've came pre wired lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #172
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
slightly off topic, I'm going to be replacing my headlights with another newer oem set and I need to take off the bumper for the first time. Would anyone happen to know the part # for those plastic clips for the bumper? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I welcome any tips or suggestions for taking off the bumper, I'm worried about bumper sag after I put it all back on, any ideas how to avoid that?
Get someone to help you. Align it underneath first, then make sure the tabs sit into the slots properly by the headlights and the sides (nothing over/under where it needs to be)
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
DandoX (06-06-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:38 AM   #173
mintyfresh
LA Bron

Drives: ‘15 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, I got some cracked lenses on my monogram headlights so I was wondering if they use FRS or BRZ lenses.. cause I read that the fitment is different between the two
Hopefully its frs since its way cheaper
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #174
soundman98

Yes, the frs lenses are slightly different, but you'll likely need to order all new housings(check ebay for used replacements) as the headlamp is considered a complete certified assembly by the government. A lens-only change would technically require the entire housing to be recertified for onroad use.

The major difference is there's sort of a 'eyeliner' on the inside corner of the brz lens. The mounting points are identical, the difference is in the lense/bumper mating point
mintyfresh (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #175
mintyfresh
LA Bron

Drives: ‘15 WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Yes, the frs lenses are slightly different, but you'll likely need to order all new housings(check ebay for used replacements) as the headlamp is considered a complete certified assembly by the government. A lens-only change would technically require the entire housing to be recertified for onroad use.

The major difference is there's sort of a 'eyeliner' on the inside corner of the brz lens. The mounting points are identical, the difference is in the lense/bumper mating point
so the monogram headlights are closer to the frs in terms of fitment, but not 100%? was just thinking of taking out lenses from some cheap frs headlights and mounting them on the monograms.. im running catless uel headers.. im already breaking the law
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #176
soundman98

monograms are different only on the inside the lenses should be identical for either fr-s model.
mintyfresh (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:49 AM   #177
davidmcl

Drives: 2013 BRZ supercharged
Hi HeresMyMind and thanks for the awesome thread.

I've got a MY13 AU BRZ, running v-land aftermarket headlights. I have D2S kits in them, cheap ebay jobs. Light output is OK, especially once I got them pointing in the right direction.

My questions are:

(1) is going for a Morimoto or some other HID kit without replacing projectors etc going to be much better,

(2) would the 50w Moromoto kit be OK on stock wiring (or just stay with 35w), and

(3) are these parts interchangeable so in the future I could use another brand D2S lamps with the Morimoto ballasts?

Thanks again man!
davidmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #178
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Anyone have experience wiring the DRL for Monogram Headlights on Base FRS? I'm doing it on my 2014.

Most guides tell you to tap into the DRL resistor. (e.g. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1012406 and http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22)

However, the resistor gets power directly from high beam ground (after it has already passed through the headlight). The DRL works like factory, but now it triggers the highbeam flap when running DRL. The exact problem is detailed here (www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87959)

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an alternate method to get this working?

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 06-16-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #179
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcl View Post
Hi HeresMyMind and thanks for the awesome thread.

I've got a MY13 AU BRZ, running v-land aftermarket headlights. I have D2S kits in them, cheap ebay jobs. Light output is OK, especially once I got them pointing in the right direction.

My questions are:

(1) is going for a Morimoto or some other HID kit without replacing projectors etc going to be much better,

I have not in person seen vland projectors and been able to compare them to OEM brz projectors. but 9.5 out of 10 times, OEM BRZ headlights or FRS (equipped with the HID not led) lights will outperform aftermarket. Most people in the headlight communities modified stock projectors with clear lenses to create better performance or change the cutoff, but the RX350 projectors in our cars, are one of the BEST bixenon projector on the market, and I wouldn't change them for anything. I did add a clear lens and tune them for better output though.

HID kits are preference. Morimoto are decent after market parts, but where they shine is warranty stuff. They are easy to get replacements if they do have an issue. Myself, and all the other headlight junkies really push OEM ballasts / bulbs. Ect. Valeo, Matsushita, Hella, Osram, Phillips. I Prefer Osram bulbs for D2S/D4S bulbs. I personally use their "night breaker laser" bulbs because I prefer the top performance, and their color temp. Their CBI bulbs are whiter output which is better style wise, but dont perform as well in fog/rain.

(2) would the 50w Moromoto kit be OK on stock wiring (or just stay with 35w), and

It should be ok, with the proper fuses in place. I would recommend against them though because they cause additional UV radiation which burns the chrome on the inside of the projectors faster, which will cause them to dim over time, and then you will need to replace the projectors themselves.

(3) are these parts interchangeable so in the future I could use another brand D2S lamps with the Morimoto ballasts?

Yes they are, All D2S ballasts/bulbs are interchangeable. D4S and D2S parts are not. They use slightly different tech.

Thanks again man!
-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #180
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Anyone have experience wiring the DRL for Monogram Headlights on Base FRS? I'm doing it on my 2014.

Most guides tell you to tap into the DRL resistor. (e.g. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1012406 and http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22)

However, the resistor gets power directly from high beam ground (after it has already passed through the headlight). The DRL works like factory, but now it triggers the highbeam flap when running DRL. The exact problem is detailed here (www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87959)

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an alternate method to get this working?
Your best bet is to run your own power to the running lights. Use a fuse Tap and run it into the inside of your car. it will look like the picture below. This would allow you to give them their own fuse, and trigger them to turn on from something else, I used the fuse that goes to my heated seats. so anytime the heated seats Could be powered on/off then they will be on. Which allows them to be on as soon as the ign is "on". You could also put it to the headlights if you only want them on then.

-B

HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #181
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
Your best bet is to run your own power to the running lights. Use a fuse Tap and run it into the inside of your car. it will look like the picture below. This would allow you to give them their own fuse, and trigger them to turn on from something else, I used the fuse that goes to my heated seats. so anytime the heated seats Could be powered on/off then they will be on. Which allows them to be on as soon as the ign is "on". You could also put it to the headlights if you only want them on then.

-B

I ended up tapping the HiBeam Power upstream of the headlight and adding a diode http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135275

The source is already fused
Old 07-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #182
Scjacob827

Drives: 13' BRZ
Sooo this might be a reach but any help is much appreciated!

I recently installed a pair of V Land Headlights on my 13' BRZ Limited. Post install I cannot get the Boomerang to illuminate and my turn signals do not work yet my hazards do. The previous owner had removed any fog lights that may or may not have been there when I got the car so I was curious to know if any of the wiring for the fogs needs to be implemented in some way? I don't know lol kinda just trying to the think of what my issue could be.
Scjacob827 is offline   Reply With Quote