follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
Ultramaroon
hooning for ramen

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 21,369 Times in 11,853 Posts
Mentioned: 816 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
The other good time to double clutch is for a missed upshift. Consider what happens when you wait too long upshifting between gears. The input side slows down too much. Now the syncros are doing work to bring the input side back up to speed.

It's easy to miss 1-2 first thing in the morning when the transmission fluid is cold and thick. It's also easiest to practice timing in the morning.

Start out in first. Push in the clutch and pause for a sec before disengaging first. Notice how you have to tug? You're working against all the gears squeezing & shearing that thick shit.

If you time it right and begin tugging just as you've disengaged the clutch, it slips out of gear with a tiny flick. If you do that flick and immediately put a tiny bit of steady pressure on the slip ring, it'll flop right into second every time.

But if you miss, let go. Double clutch to spin up the input side again like you're rev matching for first, and try again. I've had some really cold mornings when third time is a charm. At no point do I ever have to lean on the gearshift.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
jc7993

Drives: Looking to buy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The other good time to double clutch is for a missed upshift. Consider what happens when you wait too long upshifting between gears. The input side slows down too much. Now the syncros are doing work to bring the input side back up to speed.

It's easy to miss 1-2 first thing in the morning when the transmission fluid is cold and thick. It's also easiest to practice timing in the morning.

Start out in first. Push in the clutch and pause for a sec before disengaging first. Notice how you have to tug? You're working against all the gears squeezing & shearing that thick shit.

If you time it right and begin tugging just as you've disengaged the clutch, it slips out of gear with a tiny flick. If you do that flick and immediately put a tiny bit of steady pressure on the slip ring, it'll flop right into second every time.

But if you miss, let go. Double clutch to spin up the input side again like you're rev matching for first, and try again. I've had some really cold mornings when third time is a charm. At no point do I ever have to lean on the gearshift.

Makes sense when you put it that way. Most of the time I try shifting quickly right after I press in the clutch and I get the crunching shift. I feel like if I hold out on shifting to the next gear will make the rpm too low and would have to add gas. I usually shift at 2-3000 rpm range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jc7993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #17
jc7993

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hi ya, jc7993, and welcome to learning to shift a car with a manual transmission -

First off, I don't reckon you need to change the transmission oil again. The OEM stuff should last for as long as you own the car.

Second off, I don't think a short shifter is going to solve your problem, it may make it worse.

Third off, learning to smoothly shift this MT takes up a good section of the learning curve, especially if you haven't been on the curve before.

Forth off, I suggest you carefully re-read ol @Ultramaroon's post, he pointed out some really good stuff.

I order to help you get a "feel" for how a MT/clutch works, after you have read up on "how it works", you may try clutchless up shifting, as a lab phase of your course of study.

Yep, find a nice, uncrowded, quiet country road, driving by just yourself in the car. Start off in first gear and accelerate up to about 3,000 rpms. Now, let off the gas, and (without using the clutch), gently pull the shift lever out of first gear and slip it into second gear.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Now accelerate up to about 3,500 rpms and do the same thing, pushing out of second gear and slipping into third gear. Repeat going into fourth gear.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

It will take you a while to get the timing down and you may experience some slight gear "feedback" until you get it right, but, don't worry, contrary to some folks beliefs, this transmission id NOT made out of glass.

Remember, listen and feel to what the engine and driveline is telling you.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Now, after you have mastered this technique, when you introduce the clutch into the mix, shifting the MT will become a piece of cake.

Any questions?

humfrz

Is it safe to say that at 3500rpm from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th, would be the same?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 18,750 Times in 10,395 Posts
Mentioned: 496 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc7993 View Post
Is it safe to say that at 3500rpm from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th, would be the same?

I've never tried 4-5 or 5-6 without using the clutch - so -

I do know that 1 thru 4 shifting clutchless, the rpms need to be kicked up the higher you go up the gears.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
hooning for ramen

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 21,369 Times in 11,853 Posts
Mentioned: 816 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc7993 View Post
I usually shift at 2-3000 rpm range.
That's perfect for a cold engine but you have to be REALLY quick at that low speed because the ratios are so close and the gear oil is especially thick in the first few minutes of driving on a cold morning.

Have you ever seen a chart like this? I ask because it's good at showing how the difference in engine speed between gears increases as engine speed at the time of the shift also increases. It also explains why syncro life is preserved by pausing in neutral a little longer for redline shifts.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #20
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Shifting in this car is an acquired skill. I’ve driven manual transmissions exclusively since 1985, VW products. And my BRZ is quirkier. And lots of fun when you get the hang of it.

But I still stall it out once in a while. Just last week at a traffic light. Not enough juice and not fluid enough left pedal.

I do like the way the shifter goes through the gates. Brute force doesn’t go well, especially 2nd to 3rd. I find a light touch on the shifter gives great results. As does shift points north of 5500 RPM.

Shoes impact driveability as well. Boots aren’t appropriate attire in the drivers seat. My faves are Teva watershoes. Mesh uppers with grippy soles. Lightweight and narrow.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #21
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '13 Hot Lava AT RIP & '16 Steel MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
if OP cannot tell he made a bad shift which IMO is pretty obvious with this gearbox then he needs a good teacher in person, I doubt we are going to help over the interwebz...the manual gearbox is finicky when cold & changing trans oil is a waste of time and money..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #22
jc7993

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
if OP cannot tell he made a bad shift which IMO is pretty obvious with this gearbox then he needs a good teacher in person, I doubt we are going to help over the interwebz...the manual gearbox is finicky when cold & changing trans oil is a waste of time and money..

I know that my shifts arenít good yet but itís decent enough that Iím not damaging the car constantly by doing things Iím not suppose to. Also, yes you are correct that I probably need a good teacher to show me what Iím doing wrong and what is the norm for the BRZ since Iíve only been driving this car for 2 months now.

The Following User Says Thank You to jc7993 For This Useful Post:
HKz (05-20-2019)