follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Ok Mike, you've convinced me. Now can I drive without any starvation at least to a half tank with their fuel pump hanger? Being able to convert the oem returnless system to a traditional return system seems like it would be beneficial. It would also address the filtration issue.
That, I can't confirm either way, as I've not tested or seen one in action in person
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
You sure it's installed correctly? No problems with your fuel pump?

I'm boosted and can practically run down to vapours without issue. I see close to 2G's cornering and consistently hit 1.4G's braking on the track.

Yup. Pulled, checked, re-installed. It's in there correctly. Correct orientation, and flaps freely.

Regarding the fuel pump, I don't have any issues that I know about, and it is the factory fuel pump.

Headers and a 93 octane tune are all that's going on for power, so I'd be surprised if it's having issues keeping up. 24K miles on the car - how long do they last? Starving it a couple dozen times hasn't helped it I'm sure, but as long as I keep the tank at a level higher than I'd like, I don't get the starvation.

It happens repeatedly in 3 corners on one track, and one corner in another, so the issue is repeatable.
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #17
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm boosted and can practically run down to vapours without issue. I see close to 2G's cornering and consistently hit 1.4G's braking on the track.
2 G's in the corners and you can run down to empty?? Umm, ok I'll bite what is your setup? You must be faster on track than most Corvettes running slicks then. Lets see some video!
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-01-2018), kch (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #18
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

I run time trial and on E85 couldn't go below a half tank on E85 when NA or below a half tank with 100 octane when supercharged without starving when I ran the velox flap. I now have a full surge system and can run down to vapors. The track Joe is talking about is also notoriously bad for fuel starving as there are two very long left sweepers right in a row.
CounterSpace Garage (11-02-2018), CSG Mike (11-01-2018), Joesurf79 (11-01-2018), Tristor (02-27-2019)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #19
Joesurf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
I run time trial and on E85 couldn't go below a half tank on E85 when NA or below a half tank with 100 octane when supercharged without starving when I ran the velox flap. I now have a full surge system and can run down to vapors. The track Joe is talking about is also notoriously bad for fuel starving as there are two very long left sweepers right in a row.
I was hoping you'd chime in Jason - I need to pick your brain sometime about that surge system And being faster while I'm at it

Yep, you know exactly where I'm talking about. Heidi finally had it happen - while poaching Jim's wider wheels haha! Same thing at MSR Houston coming out of the carousel running ccw
Old 11-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
You don't need a surge tank - just a properly functioning transfer pump system with an actual pump doing the transferring from one side of the saddle tank to the other instead of the vacuum-based system Toyota went all cutesy with.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
Joesurf79

Radium Surge tank with e85 compatible pump and internal pressure regulator are coming my way. Got my order from Jegs yesterday with all the needed fittings, AN hose, connectors, etc. Just have to wire and plumb it up! Will report back on the process and function once I have it together.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (11-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #22
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
Radium Surge tank with e85 compatible pump and internal pressure regulator are coming my way. Got my order from Jegs yesterday with all the needed fittings, AN hose, connectors, etc. Just have to wire and plumb it up! Will report back on the process and function once I have it together.
You ever finish your surge tank setup?
Old 02-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #23
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Are you ready to wear a fire suit every time you're in the car? Are you boosted? Ethanol?

What if the surge tank/external pumps were mounted outside - under the car? OEMs did that for decades without issue. You could even build a thick-walled housing, to protect it from damage.

I see they offer a horizontal mount system now.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #24
CSG Mike

Quote:
What if the surge tank/external pumps were mounted outside - under the car? OEMs did that for decades without issue. You could even build a thick-walled housing, to protect it from damage.

I see they offer a horizontal mount system now.
Still need a fire suit. It's safer in the car within the shell.

Of course, someone will do this on their street car anyways. It's their life.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
GrabTheWheel

Quote:

Almost every modification you do to a car aside from brakes in someway might endanger your life. I still think the worst one is giving up the the steering wheel airbag in a street car. Mine will not be a street car for long, it's on the path to full time track car just not there yet...
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Almost every modification you do to a car aside from brakes in someway might endanger your life. I still think the worst one is giving up the the steering wheel airbag in a street car. Mine will not be a street car for long, it's on the path to full time track car just not there yet...
Some more so than others, but messing with the fueling system has much higher consequences than say... using a different brand of tires, with TUV approved wheels.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #27
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Some more so than others, but messing with the fueling system has much higher consequences than say... using a different brand of tires, with TUV approved wheels.
Understood. It wasn't really something I wanted to do but I don't think I'd be able to make it through a single 20 minute session without starvation even with a full tank of fuel without one. I looked at the Radium fuel hanger and after everything was done including converting from OEM returnless system to traditional return system it was going to cost way more than a surge tank with no guarantee of fixing the issue. It definitley was a compromise as is everything when it comes to a street/track car.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #28
Turbo

Quote:

Understood.

Mike - what have you done to combat this issue with your track car? You're running a boosted setup with similar HP to me in your '86.

I have had zero problems to date in mine -- but I also haven't driven any tracks with long, left hand sweepers. I will be driving a few new tracks this coming season, and I'd rather solve this issue before running into it.

I do have an idea - anyone have a picture of the top of an FRS/BRZ fuel tank out of the car I can take a look at??