follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #29
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just had my TOB die a couple of weeks ago. I used the opportunity of it being in the shop to get my spark plugs changed as I was over 100k km.

Total bill with tax was $2300 CDN which included a new clutch and flywheel re-finish.

My TOB failure was very quick. I never noticed any noise or funny behaviour until the day it gave out. All of a sudden I heard a very noticeable squeal engaging the clutch and and my clutch pedal wouldn't come up by itself when I lifted my foot.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:11 PM   #30
Mchilese

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Technically speaking the TOB is a wear item that isn't covered by warranty. Some dealers will cover them and others will not. If yours covers it then you have a good dealer.
Yeah, this dealer is really good. Well known for customer service, etc.

I don't know why some dealers are adverse to doing warranty work. Isn't that just pure profit for them? The manufacturer pays for parts and labor, not the customer, right?

Though I'm looking up TOB symptoms... Mine want really showing any of the squealing that everyone reports. So I'm kind of anxious to see if the dealership is actually able to fix the problem that they and I discussed. They should be calling me in the next couple hours...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mchilese For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchilese View Post
Yeah, this dealer is really good. Well known for customer service, etc.

I don't know why some dealers are adverse to doing warranty work. Isn't that just pure profit for them? The manufacturer pays for parts and labor, not the customer, right?

Though I'm looking up TOB symptoms... Mine want really showing any of the squealing that everyone reports. So I'm kind of anxious to see if the dealership is actually able to fix the problem that they and I discussed. They should be calling me in the next couple hours...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
The manufacturer pays for the repair if it is approved at their level not the dealer's. They also pay a much smaller amount for the same repair.

Not all people with TOB issues will have a squeal. It can be a popping or grinding noise as well. All depends on how bad it went when noticed. Some can go from no noise to not working without a sound.
Mchilese (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #32
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
I just had my TOB die a couple of weeks ago. I used the opportunity of it being in the shop to get my spark plugs changed as I was over 100k km.

Total bill with tax was $2300 CDN which included a new clutch and flywheel re-finish.

My TOB failure was very quick. I never noticed any noise or funny behaviour until the day it gave out. All of a sudden I heard a very noticeable squeal engaging the clutch and and my clutch pedal wouldn't come up by itself when I lifted my foot.
Same here. I had no warning signs leading up to the failure. I was 3/4 through my trip to work (1 hr commute mind you) and my TOB dropped a deuce on my lap. I limped to work basically and then left early to avoid traffic and brought it right to the shop and left it there.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #33
Moue

Drives: 2014 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Had a bad throwout bearing and clutch pedal assembly. Would feel vibration in the pedal when engaging it and a clicking sound when I fully depressed it. Got it done under warranty and now the pedal is buttery smooth. Takes some getting used to.
Moue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #34
PulpBrah

Drives: 2014 frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I've had a throwout bearing issue 3x with my car. First time was the OE making depressing the clutch heavier than it really was. It didn't damage anything, and I only found out after I upgraded the clutch. The other two times were because the TOB that came with my south bend clutch was faulty and caused damage to the input shaft. So yeah...
SouthBend gave you TWO bad TOBs?! I'm experiencing a whirring upon depressing the clutch, like a creaking mattress or an old door opening. I just replaced my OEM TOB and clutch kit with the Southbend kit.
PulpBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 AM   #35
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpBrah View Post
SouthBend gave you TWO bad TOBs?! I'm experiencing a whirring upon depressing the clutch, like a creaking mattress or an old door opening. I just replaced my OEM TOB and clutch kit with the Southbend kit.
I'll clarify after rereading that post. The TOB that came with my SB clutch the first time went bad so I ordered an OE TOB. But the input shaft had been damaged from it due to grinding. That made the second TOB die quickly. So I ended up replacing the TOB for another OE and a new input shaft. Still a great clutch in my opinion.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:28 AM   #36
PulpBrah

Quote:
I'll clarify after rereading that post. The TOB that came with my SB clutch the first time went bad so I ordered an OE TOB. But the input shaft had been damaged from it due to grinding. That made the second TOB die quickly. So I ended up replacing the TOB for another OE and a new input shaft. Still a great clutch in my opinion.
Ah ok, I love the clutch too! How much was getting the new input shaft? Were you experiencing the same symptoms as the first TOB failure during your second one?

Thanks in advance. I plan to go to Austin soon and drive some of those backroads (I'm from Dallas), maybe we can meet up out there?
The Following User Says Thank You to PulpBrah For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #37
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Ah ok, I love the clutch too! How much was getting the new input shaft? Were you experiencing the same symptoms as the first TOB failure during your second one?

Thanks in advance. I plan to go to Austin soon and drive some of those backroads (I'm from Dallas), maybe we can meet up out there?
The first time my TOB started going out (the original) it was simply a heavy clutch pedal and had no idea there was an issue. I did noticed a squeaking and grinding noise when the bearing from the SB clutch failed. Getting the new input shaft was pricy as they had to literally drop the tranny just to swap out 2 parts equaling $100! After that, though, it was smooth as butter.

I'd be down for some back roads around austin for sure! You should join the Austin 86 club too to find out about any drives or meets.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 07-06-2017, 12:37 AM   #38
PulpBrah

Quote:
The first time my TOB started going out (the original) it was simply a heavy clutch pedal and had no idea there was an issue. I did noticed a squeaking and grinding noise when the bearing from the SB clutch failed. Getting the new input shaft was pricy as they had to literally drop the tranny just to swap out 2 parts equaling $100! After that, though, it was smooth as butter.

I'd be down for some back roads around austin for sure! You should join the Austin 86 club too to find out about any drives or meets.
Oh man, I really hope I don't have to drop my transmission again.... I knew I should have used the OEM TOB that I bought.... Initially I was just going to do the TOB and then I thought, I don't ever want to have to do that again so I'll order the SB clutch while it's out. So... FML. lol

Is it on FB? Are you guys going to be coming up to Dallas for 86 day?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:47 AM   #39
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Oh man, I really hope I don't have to drop my transmission again.... I knew I should have used the OEM TOB that I bought.... Initially I was just going to do the TOB and then I thought, I don't ever want to have to do that again so I'll order the SB clutch while it's out. So... FML. lol

Is it on FB? Are you guys going to be coming up to Dallas for 86 day?
Yeah it's on FB. I know a decent few are going to Dallas for 86 day, but I'll be in the Dallas area come September for a Tough Mudder so I'm not going to make several trips that way hahaha.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #40
aghuman

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
These TOB's are crap. Just had mine replaced for the same issues talked about on the forum. If you start experiencing any symptoms of this it's a good idea to get it checked out before it seizes up during operation and your in a bigger mess.

I played around with the original bearing after it was removed and my word was it in bad shape. Even just slowly spinning it in your hand there was grinding and resistance. Unfortunate part about this is that there really isn't much you can do to prevent it, some of our cars just have this issue. It's a small part in a really inconvenient place.

FYI my all in cost was about 1500 CAD, including an exedy OEM clutch assembly. Clutch still had some life in it but with 200k on the car and 4 years it was better to just change everything out while it was apart anyways.
aghuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #41
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
@Tcoat is right its a common problem but also the fork breaking is also common but mostly with an aftermarket pressure plate.
If you instantly had a change in engagement point you could have a bent fork