follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
BE4VER
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: 14FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
86 chassis alteration/tube framing? Drift Build Questions

Say you find a salvage 86 with drift build plans. Is there any way to modify the front chassis design to give the wheels more inner clearance or is it just the main frame rail that is right in the way when the wheels are at full lock with added angle?

I've noticed how the 86 morphs into a praying mantis shape with massive front wheel poke when it becomes a high horsepower D1/Formula D drift car. I'd thought it was because you have to run the proper tire width for the amount of traction needed for the power and when you add massive amounts of angle with a kit and turn the wheel to full lock the tires don't have the room to clear the very shallow distance left by the inner frame rail that makes the ultra wide but ultra low FA20 fit. !!OR does the super wide front wheel trac also help compensate for higher placement of a LS or 2jz engine and this front layout is desirable for front roll center compensation?? that case eliminating the praying mantis would be undesirable?

I admit I may be able to answer my own question and say If it could be done, one of the big manufacturer backed 86's in D1 or Formula D would have done it already.

tl:dr stuff
I know nothing of engineering a little about welding, I've got a decent idea how roll cages are built and I'm around a large drifting community where rear quarters are often tube framed and seen the various layout changes on many of the formula drift cars throughout the years. I'd ask one of them but everyone drives a nissan? Which is what i will probably end up driving anywho but I'd really like to build a salvage 86 but it's probably a long shot.

Last edited by BE4VER; 05-27-2015 at 12:24 PM.
BE4VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Have fun.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ubaru-BRZ.aspx
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
BE4VER (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
BE4VER
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I've looked at several Moto IQ articles but never found this one. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
BE4VER
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Very good information I should have seen already but overlooked.

Still even after that info now there's more questions I need to answer. Now I need to find a build that was not restricted by the rules of FD that prohibit modification of front strut tower and crossmember modification to achieve a more advantageous steering rack position that he explains is possible in this article.

Also he only mentions a downside to the wide front wheel trac being undesirable understeer and no mention of the wide wheel trac actually benefiting the more top heavy engines much high roll center. Basically the type of design solutions that were used to build cars with challenged chassis like they did back before rules like this existed in FD. This picture is from a local guy, Gary Gardella's pontiac solstice build for tuerk back in like 2008ish. This is the type of alteration freedom I'm interested in if I ever got to pursue a build like this someday.