follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #29
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade7588 View Post
The genesis isn't without faults. It has transmission issues with the stick shift in the years 10-12. We call it the fifth gear grind. Bad syncros produce a grind in some sticks in those years. Doesn't effect function just and annoyance. Hyundai is prompt to replace those transmissions with brand new ones. In that way its know different than the twins infamous "crickets" fuel pump in that they will replace the part but it isn't been refined in any way. Its just another part. The 2013's fixed this issue with the transmissions however the transmission from a performance enthusiasm standpoint is still interior to the twins.

As a drivers car the genesis is sporting. Don't get me wrong it is a fun car to drive. Its fast and has pretty good suspension 2013 and on as well as good features. What it lacks however is "road feel" and an immersive driving experience. The genesis coupe shines the faster you drive it. Bit sweepers in the car are very rewarding. As a track car it may even be a better platform for a dedicated track junky. As a road car it is definitely without a doubt a superior grand touring car compared to the twins.
That was a refreshing fairly even keel review of the Genesis. It's about time people recognize it has become an apples to oranges comparison.

That being said, I don't think a car exists in your niche without being a Porsche with the exception of the Corvette but as you mentioned, no such lease for the car.

The question becomes: do you really care about the amenities?

I have a similar background to some degree. First car was a MKI MR2. Loved every second of it - except - she didn't love me back. Kept breaking down or needed work (ruuuuust bucket). Sold her and went to an IS300. Loved the interior but the car at best felt like a speedboat compared to the ninja MR2. It was at this point in my car life, I realized that I prized agility, handling, feel WAY over power. I've driven the Legacy GT and a WRX. Fun when gas is mashed but there's something missing. That slight hint of oversteer (exception being the Evo) without the mass.

So I dumped the IS300 - went full 360 again and got a shitty Echo hatchback for a DD and starting saving money for a fun car (bought a condo along the way too).

And this year, I finally plan on getting the BRZ (after a test drive of course).

In the end, only you can dictate what your priorities are. You can't have your cake and eat it.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #30
lonborghini

Drives: '15 red FR-S SSC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
"Nor do I want to have to change out the entire audio system..."

Slade, my FR-S has an audio system? Thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot. I'll have to try it some time, maybe...
lonborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #31
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Used Porsche Cayman as already suggested.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juliog For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (02-02-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #32
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Damn, it's a shame you don't like Porsches... they're as close to a turn-key solution to your requirements as you can get, I think.

86's are really great cars, but I don't know that you'll ever be able to make one feel "luxurious" for any kind of reasonable pricetag. By the time you've replaced the entire interior and added FI for some power, you're gonna have spent a seriously large amount of money (that you'll never get back if you go to sell the car later).

Things like Corvettes are never gonna feel luxo either... IMHO their interiors can't quite shake that rental car vibe.

I'd say maybe a used R8, but that's well out of your "purchase" price range ($70k for the cheapest used ones). It might deliver on handling and looks simultaneously though (IDK: I've never driven one, but it's been well-reviewed).

Did you hate the 135i? If you didn't (and don't mind the increased weight and sedan-like feel over the 86), I would just remind you that although they don't drive very nicely out of the box, with a suspension re-work they can be made into pretty serious little cars. My family's got one that was sent of to Dinan forever ago and got a new suspension, Torsen LSD, and an ECU flash. Compared to my BRZ it feels significantly heavier, and the overall seating position is very different (it feels like a sedan), but with the modifications it handles really nicely and is literally unnervingly fast. Given how cheap the cars have become, you could probably build a nice pointy 1-series for $30k.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #33
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wish I did like the cayman or 911. But all the porsches look like upside down bathtubs to me. Otherwise a new body style cayman would be perfect for me.

The new corvette interior is actually very very upscale feeling. But I am an import guy. A good lease may change my mind someday.

I don't wanna through concept cars here I really don't. But Kia and Nissan wanted to make a twins competitor too both of which they have shown concepts for.

The Kia gt4 stinger is supposed to be a smaller Whwe base genesis that ways about 2900 pounds but that car isn't slated for production. But that would have a similar interior to the genesis what with Kia and Hyundai being the same brand. But that's definitely past 2017.

Side note. As of 2018 every car must be manufactured with a back up camera in every trim so at least we can look forward to that in the frs/brz
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #34
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I only skimmed your post. It sounds like you want a coupe with the agility, feedback and lightness of the Twins, but with more power and a refined interior.

There's really only one car like that. Porsche Cayman S. If you can't afford one new, you can find used 987's in the $25k - 55k range.

Holy crap is this guy spot freaking on.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #35
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade7588 View Post
I wish I did like the cayman or 911. But all the porsches look like upside down bathtubs to me. Otherwise a new body style cayman would be perfect for me.

The new corvette interior is actually very very upscale feeling. But I am an import guy. A good lease may change my mind someday.

I don't wanna through concept cars here I really don't. But Kia and Nissan wanted to make a twins competitor too both of which they have shown concepts for.

The Kia gt4 stinger is supposed to be a smaller Whwe base genesis that ways about 2900 pounds but that car isn't slated for production. But that would have a similar interior to the genesis what with Kia and Hyundai being the same brand. But that's definitely past 2017.

Side note. As of 2018 every car must be manufactured with a back up camera in every trim so at least we can look forward to that in the frs/brz
You are shooting down every single possible answer.

wtf?

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #36
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Get a used BRZ Limited. Add the OEM+ audio upgrade. If they update the FT86 with better interior/power then buy the new one and you won't lose much buying used.

Or buy a new Gencoupe when they redesign it..

Also look at the new Mustang. Huge improvement over previous gen and while not as sharp as a twin in the handling, it will be a better drivers car than the Hyundai. New Stang interior is really nice.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 AM   #37
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Porsche Cayman S is the answer... whether you like it or not! LOL
brzaapi (02-02-2015), Guillaume (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #38
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Get a used BRZ Limited. Add the OEM+ audio upgrade. If they update the FT86 with better interior/power then buy the new one and you won't lose much buying used.

Or buy a new Gencoupe when they redesign it..

Also look at the new Mustang. Huge improvement over previous gen and while not as sharp as a twin in the handling, it will be a better drivers car than the Hyundai. New Stang interior is really nice.
this guy right here ^^^^

that sounds like a plan to me. and is probably gonna be what i end up doing. and i recognize that the cayman is probably the best choice.

alright. BRZ limited here I come. Now its just a choice of Satin White Pearl or World Rally Blue
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #39
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Garage
Dude you need an alfa 4c...basically a twin, with mid-engine, on steroids, European, luxury etc etc.
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pkush For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #40
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
Dude you need an alfa 4c...basically a twin, with mid-engine, on steroids, European, luxury etc etc.
So... basically a twin, but not at all like a twin in any way? :p
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #41
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
So... basically a twin, but not at all like a twin in any way? :p
Twin in handling and size as far as I understand from numerous claims and reviews. :P
The rest are just nice bonuses on the 4c
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #42
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
I thought the 4C drives like shit? Understeer-y, lots of turbo lag, shitty transmission? I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If you want a tiny, lightweight, brilliant little car, then find yourself a used Elise. Then if you want more power, put a supercharger on it. The end.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote