follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Leaving the Genesis. Where I go from here...

Hi guys this is my first post. I have been a long time lurker on these boards off and on. Only recently have i started to do more serious research on the 86 platform.

I am a current owner of a 3.8 2013 genesis coupe with a manual transmission. I have also had a 2012 genesis coupe before that. My current car is fully loaded and I am leasing it and with my lease being up in june I need to look for my next car.

I didn't come here to post to write about how the genesis is better than the brz/frs but I will be candid in my own opinions comparing the two cars.

At this point I have rented the frs for about a solid week and drove it under many conditions so I do have some back to back experience on my favorite canyon roads and daily driving.

But first why am I here? I got into rear wheel drive for kinda what most would think is a dumb reason. I grew up watching anime and stumbled across Initial D. After completing that I was hooked on rear wheel drive. Prior too that I was all about Honda and Acura. At that time I was pining after a Honda Civic Si.

I knew my car had to be rear wheel drive but the frs/brz wasn't even out yet so i bought a 2012 genesis. It really helped me break into the enthusiast scene coming from mom and dads accord and other economy fwd sedans my family owns.

I upgraded to the 2013 a year later for the superior interior against my own 2012. At this point however I did cross shop the frs/brz. Unfortunately all the subaru dealerships wanted 3 grand over sticker for the car in any trim and I could get a fully loaded genesis for that price. The breaker though was actually the rear seats. I take a lot of friends in my car and I needed a real 2 + 2 do everything car and that was it. So I bought it fully loaded.

What follows is my honest review of the Hyundai as a owner and previous sales person of the brand: The genesis coupe really has been a bargain for the money. it offers excellent options in the way of engine selection as well as competitive features within the cars it competes with. Namely the 370z and g37 coupe. My 2013 is equipped almost as well as a fully loaded g37 and way more than a fully loaded 370z. They also offer a better warranty and excellent build quality. I don't know what any of your biases may be toward hyundai as a brand but they build absolutely phenomenal cars across the board.

If your shopping luxury coupes then the genesis is neigh impossible to beat other than the g37. And it undercuts the car by 10k. But what I am here to talk about is driving feel.

The genesis isn't without faults. It has transmission issues with the stick shift in the years 10-12. We call it the fifth gear grind. Bad syncros produce a grind in some sticks in those years. Doesn't effect function just and annoyance. Hyundai is prompt to replace those transmissions with brand new ones. In that way its know different than the twins infamous "crickets" fuel pump in that they will replace the part but it isn't been refined in any way. Its just another part. The 2013's fixed this issue with the transmissions however the transmission from a performance enthusiasm standpoint is still interior to the twins.

As a drivers car the genesis is sporting. Don't get me wrong it is a fun car to drive. Its fast and has pretty good suspension 2013 and on as well as good features. What it lacks however is "road feel" and an immersive driving experience. The genesis coupe shines the faster you drive it. Bit sweepers in the car are very rewarding. As a track car it may even be a better platform for a dedicated track junky. As a road car it is definitely without a doubt a superior grand touring car compared to the twins.

If you've made it this far your probably think me Hyundai troll. That I am drinking the cool aid so to speak that my brand has provided. However this couldn't be further from the truth.

What is the driving experience actually worth? In my opinion it is worth switching cars. I want to drive my car. I want to smile every time I go to the canyons. when I have rented the FRS before I find myself laughing like a child when I drive it (I am 26). Conversely the genesis is much more plush to drive with a premium interior which is actually a huge factor to me. But I can't shake the sheer joy of driving the twins provide. Ultimately that leaves me with the dilemma I am in now and the reason I am posting.

I want the FRS/BRZ. I like my genesis as well but I am willing to let it go and move on at this point. The catch 22 is that neither car is 100% what I want.

To get the FRS/BRZ where I want it I was waiting for the refresh. I want a more premium interior. With some better sound deadening as well. Really I would be happy paying 35k for a BRZ with an interior like my genesis. I wouldn't bat an eye. However I know that was not the point of these cars. Still I am hoping they refresh the interior and hey if the engine comes with it then awesome.

The Genesis will see a new engine selection in its next reiteration. It is looking like it will receive the Azeras 3.3L Turbo V6 whenever it does come out. Power alone is not enough to seduce me however. If I wanted that I would buy a comaro or mustang v8. I want better driving feel. A more connected and involving experience from the driver perspective. That would put me in another genesis in a new york minute.

Thats just it though. Neither of these cars have been refreshed yet so I feel I am stuck. From lurking on these boards here I gather that the 2016 FRS/BRZ probably won't be the refresh I was waiting for but in fact the 2017 model year. To add insult to injury the Genesis is looking to be the same way. Nothing new till 2017.

I have shopped all they way up too about 60k. Looking at the S5 and Bmw 228 and 235i. Both of which were excellent cars but I did not feel provided that connected feel I was looking for concerning the audi and I have never been the biggest bmw fan to begin with. So those cars are out too.

At this point the only new car that will offer what I am looking for under 60k would be the BRZ/FRS. But I don't want to add more sound deadening to make it feel quiet like I would like. Nor do I want to have to change out the entire audio system to get it up to the same quality as the premium audio in my current genesis. In a perfect world I want to buy it like I want it but that just isn't realistic.

Should I wait and see what happens in 2016 for the refresh of both cars? Especially knowing that the BRZ may make me happier than the genesis at the moment but that it too will also not be exactly what I am looking for.

To anyone conflicted on there own car I say this. If you ever thought that you might want to buy a g37, 370z, mustang, camoro, challenger in v6 or 4 cylinder turbo configurations then the genesis will handily beat them all in value and features and still be a very enjoyable usable car. Especially if you have family and kids or take friends often.

If v8 power is your goal then I would consider something else because It still can't hang with the v8 versions of the muscle cars

But if driving enjoyment and the smile on your face is at all a priority then the genesis will fall short. I have driven just about every enthusiast car from the s5 down and nothing has made me smile like the FRS/BRZ. Nothing. It is the sole reason it will be the next car in my future soon. I just don't know if I will hold onto it long due to wanting an upscale interior. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the refresh vastly enhances interior materials without inflating the price more than 1000 bucks across trim levels.

So ya maybe I will get flamed for supporting hyundai here but I don't mean to troll. Just want to show love to what will be my next new car while also sharing a very positive experience with my current one.

Do I wait for the refresh? or buy a cheap brz now and sell when the refresh happens if the interior is improved?

anyway thanks for reading. I am glad to be a member of the forum guys.
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to slade7588 For This Useful Post:
Eski (01-29-2015), ezae86 (08-18-2015), flippy (08-14-2015), Frost (01-22-2015), IDFWU 420 (02-04-2015), Mr.Impreza (08-16-2015), Njnickd (10-18-2015), NWFRS (01-22-2015), Sportsguy83 (01-29-2015), thien (08-18-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You'll miss the torque. Then you'll smile because this platform is way more fun. But then you have to decide if it's worth dumping thousands of dollars into it to make it as fast as your genesis. You will then have buyers remorse and will want to sell it for something with more power; ie: your genesis.

Also, how in the world can you not find another car under 60k that beats the 86?
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse36m3 For This Useful Post:
BlueDubbinTDI (08-19-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly, there are a lot of offerings coming soon. I think you are pulling the trigger early actually.

For instance, the Ford Focus RS, next gen Camaro (That will be available in a 4cyl if you so desire), Possible STi Refresh (maybe they'll put something other than an EJ), also if you're shopping for s5s (new) then a base alfa 4c should be something to think of.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The FR-S will never be a luxury car, and the Genesis will never be a sports car. No refreshes will change either of those things. It sounds like you don't know what you really want. It also sounds like you haven't driven very many (any?) other sports cars...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
xuimod (03-09-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
I only skimmed your post. It sounds like you want a coupe with the agility, feedback and lightness of the Twins, but with more power and a refined interior.

There's really only one car like that. Porsche Cayman S. If you can't afford one new, you can find used 987's in the $25k - 55k range.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (02-02-2015), brzaapi (02-02-2015), DAEMANO (01-22-2015), Demandred7 (01-22-2015), flippy (08-14-2015), GT86_PRAGUE (08-21-2015), juliog (01-22-2015), PWBRZ (03-12-2015), WolfpackS2k (08-14-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I only skimmed your post. It sounds like you want a coupe with the agility, feedback and lightness of the Twins, but with more power and a refined interior.

There's really only one car like that. Porsche Cayman S. If you can't afford one new, you can find used 987's in the $25k - 55k range.
Used S2000.

Except for the whole not being noisey thing.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Used S2000.

Except for the whole not being noisey thing.
I've only driven an S2000 a few times but I never really felt it was refined. The interior is bare-bones and like you said, there's a lot of wind and cabin noise.

Also the Cayman S has a lot more power.

It's probably the better choice if OP is looking for an FR-S with more power and refinement.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Hard to find an unmolested s2000 at a fair price too.
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I've only driven an S2000 a few times but I never really felt it was refined. The interior is bare-bones and like you said, there's a lot of wind and cabin noise.

Also the Cayman S has a lot more power.

It's probably the better choice if OP is looking for an FR-S with more power and refinement.
It depends on what you're used to. The S2000 is extremely refined compared to sports cars of its era (240sx, RX7, Miata, etc.). The interior is spartan, but nice with good quality materials. The suspension is firm, but comfortable. But yeah, it's a soft top convertible... so, it's not going to be silent with the top up.

Top down & ignoring the wind, however, there are 0 squeaks/rattles/etc.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Sounds like you have thought it out pretty good but need a push in one direction or the other.
If not in a rush you can wait and see what comes out in 16 or 17 but I don't think you will see the changes you are hoping for. They have been pretty clear since day one that they will not be building a semi luxury version.

I did not read every word of you novella but did notice that one of your priorities is to have back seat passengers. Although you certainly can have them in the FRS they may not stay your friends long if they spend much time back there!

The Genesis is a very capable car and was my first choice before I stumbled across the FRS but I was not concerned about losing the creature comforts and have never once regretted my choice.

Your statement that the BRZ may be close but "not exactly what I am looking for" sort of sums up my thoughts. If you buy one knowing that every single little thing that annoys you will be magnified and you will soon start to hate it. You will always feel you "settled" for it and after a while we will see you posting on here how you got rid of the POS and how we are all fools for liking it!
I think you are weighing your options well but unless you have too never, ever settle for one car when you have another in mind. Believe me I know!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Get a used BRZ or FR-S. They're hitting under 20k now. I don't expect many changes for the twins. Some people are selling modded twins. You can get one with the work you want done already.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
Sideways&Smiling

OP's ideal FR-S/BRZ/86:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_f1e2a9K5s"]Bulletproof FR-S Concept One - YouTube[/ame]

haha
Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What, nobody read the OP and instantly thought what he really wants is a 911?

Luxury: Check
Power: Check
Unparalleled handling dynamics: Check
2+2 Seating: Check

You can pick up a 2006+ 997 911 for under $40k (No IMS failure), I didn't look at options but I have a feeling that a base model manual coupe would blow away the Genny and the Toyobaru for what you want. Link may or may not work...

Edit: Because it's not my money, go looking for a 911, read up, see if you can make it work for 2-4 years, by that time everyone will know if Toyobaru or Hyundai have stepped up their game and are offering the car you want (maybe someone else will, Nissan?) to buy new, or maybe you will be a Porsche convert.

It doesn't sound like you're beating your cars, you want a fun DD with even more fun weekend or evening drives, kind of what Porsche is made for but in a price bracket above what you were looking at. Maintenance will be a killer, but so is disappointment.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
akyp (08-15-2015), brzaapi (02-02-2015), ezae86 (08-18-2015), flippy (08-14-2015), Tcoat (01-22-2015), WolfpackS2k (08-14-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #14
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I love RWD too. However. If you aren't into drifting/tracking and only want a car to put a smile on your face through the canyons, then why MUST it be RWD? Not all cars in Initial D were RWD. If you don't mind and AWD platform I can solve all your problems with three letters....STI or EVO.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote