follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Warning: Shoulder strap guide design weakness can tear seat

The Subaru District Sales rep warned me that the shoulder strap on one of the demo cars tore the seat when someone pulled it off without unbuttoning it first.

He said the guide design will probably be modified (not sure if that means the seat will be reinforced below the button or something else), but that won't happen in time for the first batch of FRSes and BRZs (obviously).

I'm unaware of any cases of it happening to JDM BRZs or 86s already on the road, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's simply a minor design weakness that can result in a torn seat if misused; just be mindful when tugging on the shoulder strap while it's in the guide.
Attached Images

Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wonder if the same problem exists on the leather and alcantara seats.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
bladesamurai

Drives: 13 BRZ, 04 SV650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemies View Post
Wonder if the same problem exists on the leather and alcantara seats.
The demo BRZ limited that was making the rounds at the dealerships near me had the same issue. Both were basically torn off already from people being rough with them and not understanding their use. I guess their placement makes it seem like they're used for pulling the seat forward or something?
bladesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesamurai View Post
The demo BRZ limited that was making the rounds at the dealerships near me had the same issue. Both were basically torn off already from people being rough with them and not understanding their use. I guess their placement makes it seem like they're used for pulling the seat forward or something?
Probably. The belt will also pop the snaps when pulled tight, i.e. testing the brakes. When I went for my ride, the rep hit the brakes hard when I wasn't expecting it and the belt pulled the strap out of the snaps. But it didn't damage anything.

Frankly, I wasn't planning to use them because of this possibility. The loops always struck me as kind of flimsy. I have no problem turning to reach the belt. If they come with two snaps, I'll jsut remove the loops. If they're sewn in, Ill just leave them unsnapped so people getting in and out of the back don't pull on them.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote