follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sony XSPN1BT review

So I've had this head unit, Sony XSPN1BT , for about a year and a half now and have recommended it enough times to do a review for it. I think its the $150 solution for those people who are looking at the $400 base model Android auto / Carplay head units. It's a basic head unit with a phone mount. I like it, it provides awesome functionality but think I should cover some or the quirks or bad points about the unit.

First, the look is very basic, ugly even (theft deterrent), with a noticeable bezel. Has bluetooth, CD, and radio, and also I believe USB ipod / iphone capability but I haven't tested it. The USB port provides 1.5Ah charging. It has all the features you need without being heavy or power hungry, or having a lengthy boot-up time.

Phone pictured is Nexus 5x. Pics taken with iPad mini.

The things I like:

- Functionality and interfacing is great, having a phone dock right there is perfectly comfy. It looks great with the phone mounted and is rather luxurious to use compared to using most modern OEM head units.

- Voice control button, or voice command ("ok google", "hey siri"), works good. The usability can be largely hands-free. The included mic has great sound quality.

- Bluetooth connection is fast, almost never has a problem pairing with my Nexus 5X.

- Lightweight and not power hungry

- Minimalist look

Ok so let me list the things that aren't so great:

Build quality and usability issues: You'll notice the black rubber strip I put on there, that's to actually hold my phone in place. . Without the rubber strip, the phone would just fly out whenever I accelerated in 1st gear. But a strip of Sugru moldable glue holds the phone perfectly. Next, if your phone doesn't have a front-facing power button, then you'll need to use wave-to-wake or have tap to wake enabled on your phone. If this isn't a stock feature of your phone, then enabling this will often eat a bit of your battery. Third, you'll notice I covered the buttons with tint stickers. This is to keep the bright LED's out of my eyes at night. The lights can be changed blue or amber, but really were both annoying at night so I tinted them out.

Sound: Quality is ok, not better than the stock head unit. The OEM stock unit was never great to begin with, the Sony unit lacks a bit of presence and bass. It's crisp and clear though. Perhaps using EQ settings will bring some soul into it. It's clearly not a high powered unit, only 55w.

Usability issues:
- Menus, settings, and functions are all done using a remote control or an android / iphone app. If you lose the remote then you can't access the HU's menu / settings.
- Volume buttons instead of a knob. Sometimes not knowing the general volume can be bad situation when you get in the car, turn up the volume before bluetooth happens to pair, and not realize you set it to max volume, and get BTFO by your track coming on.
- Needs to be configured out of the box to turn off BEEP and "demo mode" to use comfortably. Otherwise, annoying beep and demo mode.

Last and final, on a random occurrence the unit reset itself twice on long trips (5 hrs) one weekend. This put the unit back into that annoying demo / button beeping mode and is impossible to configure that off, while going 70 mph down the highway using the remote. Only happened twice one weekend though, annoying enough to write about. It might have been a wire coming loose or a fuse popping who knows...

-----

Ok so you see the long list of Bad, I figured I'd disclose all that in a full honest review of the product that I actually like a lot. Anyway, I'd call this a "poor man's Android auto setup". For $150 its a great replacement for a stock head unit that I use reliably every day. Thanks.

Last edited by radroach; 07-01-2017 at 02:33 AM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Scrappydoo (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
InnovativeFT86
I'm not a dude.

Drives: 13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Your phone pops out even with the top piece pushed down? Or is it too large to fit in that slot/insert?
InnovativeFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for this. Just bought one for shits and giggles.

How easy is it to fit? Does it need a wiring adaptor?

Last edited by Scrappydoo; 03-29-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Scrappydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeFT86 View Post
Your phone pops out even with the top piece pushed down? Or is it too large to fit in that slot/insert?
Looks like it is too large and in a case.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
radroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeFT86 View Post
Yeah the phone doesn't stay in with the latch down. Adding the strip of sugru holds the phone in there.

I don't think it's because the phone is too large, it's more because the plastic latch is weak and has too much play to hold a phone in sturdily enough.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Scrappydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Yeah the phone doesn't stay in with the latch down. Adding the strip of sugru holds the phone in there.

I don't think it's because the phone is too large, it's more because the plastic latch is weak and has too much play to hold a phone in sturdily enough.
I bought one after your write up. It's fine with three types of phone used without a case. Including a S7 edge which is a bit like a bar of soap.

Struggling to get an aerial adapter, what did you use?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
radroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
Struggling to get an aerial adapter, what did you use?
I had my radio installed by a shop, so idk. I get FM radio just fine.