follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
TMT

Drives: 328i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Prospective buyer

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a '17, either the Premium with no options/accessories or Limited with the Performance Pack and wanted to ask some questions. I drove the Premium yesterday and it was quite a bit better than I thought it would be, ride was more comfortable than I thought going in and road noise wasn't intrusive cruising at 70+ and could carry on a conversation pretty easily.

1) I thought all BRZ trims came with Nav, this one didn't.
2) Steering wheel is small and the "leather wrap" felt cheap, have any of you retrofit a bigger one that comes with the audio controls from factory?
3) Is the Performance Pack worth it for the extra $3k? I also noticed that the braking wasn't as good as I thought it would be considering how light the car is.
4) What is the most common problems of this car? Have any of you that have owned '13/14 developed any interior trim rattle? I know that this is a relatively reliable car but every car has its common problems.

Thanks
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
chuckseabreeze

Drives: Black BRZ PP on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT View Post
Hi guys,

3) Is the Performance Pack worth it for the extra $3k? I also noticed that the braking wasn't as good as I thought it would be considering how light the car is.

Thanks
The PP dealer cost is like 1060.
chuckseabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a '17, either the Premium with no options/accessories or Limited with the Performance Pack and wanted to ask some questions. I drove the Premium yesterday and it was quite a bit better than I thought it would be, ride was more comfortable than I thought going in and road noise wasn't intrusive cruising at 70+ and could carry on a conversation pretty easily.

2) Steering wheel is small and the "leather wrap" felt cheap, have any of you retrofit a bigger one that comes with the audio controls from factory?
4) What is the most common problems of this car? Have any of you that have owned '13/14 developed any interior trim rattle? I know that this is a relatively reliable car but every car has its common problems.

Thanks
1. There is a premium model and a limited model, and whatever accessories they tack on. Look at the brochure for the side by side comparison.
2. ^look above, or get a aftermarket wheel(uses stock airbag) like trd, or rewrap in the material of choice, check Sweidit on facebook.
3. Stock pads suck. If you plan to do heavy tracking they would be worth it, otherwise stock calipers are ok for beginners.
4. Rattles everywhere, good luck on that. Car is pretty reliable imo.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks
1. Nope. I just use an iOttie v3 with my iPhone and Google Maps. Only downside is if my phone loses cellular connection in the middle of nowhere (but you can download offline maps in advance if you plan it well enough). Otherwise it works fine.
2. I personally like the feel of the steering wheel's material. I don't, however, like how sensitive the buttons are. I'm constantly accidentally brushing the voice control button and it's nearly impossible to cancel for at least 20-30 seconds.
3. PP should only cost $1060 to maybe $1200. I got it for $1060 (so at cost).
4. I may have a slight rattle in the interior piece slightly above the driver side near the windshield but it's barely noticeable. Otherwise no chirps (yet, and hopefully never).
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
2015 was the last year for nav, it really sucked and you are not missing anything.
If you plan on modding the car the PP might not be worth it to you, but the dampers themselves are supposedly good stuff. I guess you'd have to drive it back to back with a normal one to see.
Supposedly the engines chirps like a cricket. I haven't heard it on mine but I crank the music anyways. They've gone through several designs of fuel pumps so maybe that is gone.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rattles in interior were mostly on the 2013 models.

Performance Package only available on Limited model.

Limited is $2150 more than a Premium, then you add $1200 for the PP. So that's $3350. total extra if you want the PP.

If it were me, I'd go for the Premium, manual trans. Alcantara seating material, keyless entry, auto climate controls, fog lamps, not worth over $2000 to me.

Assume you're aware that nice red, aluminum intake manifold, 5 extra HP available only on man trans models, and comes with either Premium or Limited..No charge.

I own a 2015, manual trans, bought new, now 42000 miles on it. Zero problems with my car up to this point. That's zero !

There are little things you learn to live with, found out by reading this forum. No sense taking car to Stealership, attempting to fix things which are inherent idiosyncrasies of a particular car model. Three examples: Crickets sounds from high pressure fuel pump, windows creak going up sometimes, occasional slight fogging of taillights.

I'm 70yo. Have owned about 60 cars. This one, best car I've ever owned, AND with least problems.

Despite what some may say, great road trip car. I've driven now, round trip, coast to coast three times.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 03-30-2017 at 12:21 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-30-2017), daiheadjai (03-30-2017), krayzie (03-30-2017), spike021 (03-30-2017), Tcoat (03-30-2017), willimusk (03-30-2017), ~el~jefe~ (04-04-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
ktulu7

Drives: 2016 GMC Canyon
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks
I put about 37k miles on my 2013 FRS and had zero problems, and never even had interior rattles. I drove that car everywhere, commuted with it, and took it on a few road trips, and I drove it hard. It still seemed like a new car pretty much when I traded it in for a pickup. I miss the heck out of the car, and will be adding another one back into my garage hopefully soon. I just needed the pickup for a lot of utility at the time...

I'd pick up the Premium out of the two, because the car is really about the basic driving experience it delivers, rather than the luxuries, though I think its comfort is actually underrated.
ktulu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Counterpoint: if you drive around your significant other, and you have different temperature preferences, the dual zone climate control actually does make a difference. Is the peace between you and your SO worth the price increase? Can't answer that for you...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-30-2017), krayzie (03-30-2017), ktulu7 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Counterpoint: if you drive around your significant other, and you have different temperature preferences, the dual zone climate control actually does make a difference. Is the peace between you and your SO worth the price increase? Can't answer that for you...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I've been told with small cabins like the twins the real functional temperature difference between the two zones is about -/+3C degree range.

I also like how the auto climate control layout and button sequence are exactly the same as older Toyotas.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
TMT

Drives: 328i
Thanks for the responses. I knew I had to get the Limited to get the PP so I chalked it up to about $3k over Premium. I'm going over the order price of the Premium with my Credit Union right now. As far as the brakes go, I figure getting softer material rotor/pads would help with the bite/feel/distance similar what my Beemer has, which I really like. I also figure that I can always get coilovers and change to bigger wheels and better tires once i burn through the factory tires.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
artongdou

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks
1) Mine doesn't come with navigation. And the infotainment system in BRZ sucks as hell. So i would rather use my phone.
2) I actually like the small steering wheel, and come on man. Leather wrap is not cheap. It feels slippery though sometimes, especially when it's cold.
3) I believe the PP is like $1000+ more. And the brembo is INCREDIBLE! Definitely go for it I would say.
4) Mine got a twisted sound from the back when cornering at high G. Still haven't figure where it comes from. If anyone knows, please tell me.

Gook luck getting your new BRZ!
artongdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I knew I had to get the Limited to get the PP so I chalked it up to about $3k over Premium. I'm going over the order price of the Premium with my Credit Union right now. As far as the brakes go, I figure getting softer material rotor/pads would help with the bite/feel/distance similar what my Beemer has, which I really like. I also figure that I can always get coilovers and change to bigger wheels and better tires once i burn through the factory tires.
I wish I had seat time in earlier Twins for comparison to my MY17 PP, because I really like the ride (Sachs dampers) on the street and track (1 day so far.) The Brembo brakes on the car are the same size as the MY15 STI I traded for the BRZ, so they're more than adequate on the street. With race pads they're very capable on track. My shop told me I didn't need to change to a hi temp brake fluid until this summer and I think they're right- I didn't get close to overworking them earlier this week.
The stock pads have good bite but dust an incredible amount. Like clean your wheels every 3-5 days, which is crazy.
Personally, I'm only going to have front camber plates installed this year, I like the ride & handling that much. I do have 235/40-17 Pirelli P Zero AS Plus on the car for the street and they ride and handle very well. I have Dunlop Direzza ZIIs on 18" wheels for the track. I think the PP pkg is a bargain for $1K- big brakes, bigger, thicker rotors, good shocks and nice wheels. It would still be a bargain at $2k.
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=TMT;2881953]Hi guys,

I think the wheel size is fine, but the leather isn't very grippy and the rim diameter seems a little thin to me. 86WORX responded to an email I sent about availability of the wheel in the link below, they told me July. If it accommodates the controls, I'm in!
http://www.86worx.com/real-gun-grip-....html?___SID=U

Last edited by JSube; 04-02-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: clarification
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,444 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSube View Post
I think the wheel size is fine, but the leather isn't very grippy and the rim diameter seems a little thin to me...

If you like the diameter of the wheel as I do but not the feel of the leather then try wearing proper driving gloves. I luvs me some leather o leather.

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote