follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2017, 03:13 AM   #1
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Subaru BRZ Panel Center Assembly Explained

So I have used this site quite a bit as a lurker and the information fellow members have shared has been invaluable for many questions I've had.
I've had this on my evernote after some good research and figured I should pay it forward for future twin owners and old owners alike.

When debating between the MX5 and the FT86 a few months ago, a big factor was practicality. As much as I wanted the top-off experience badly,
I was giving my 270 BHP sports sedan as a trade in for the new car, and the new one was going to be my daily driver so practicality was paramount.
Another consideration for practicality was the infotainment/navigation capabilities. The MX5 has a better out of the box experience, though neither has
android auto if I recall correctly. Besides, f**k android auto, I wanted the full android experience damnit.

One day while checking ND Miata and 86/BRZ videos, I stumbled upon a dude by the name of John Nguyen. In one of his videos he was showcasing
something that blew my mind: a full featured android headunit on his GF's BRZ. I was sold. I wanted a driver's car, an analog machine that went back to it's roots.
A car without auto-blipping downshift revmatches, without fake sound pumped through the speakers (analog soundtube notwithstanding), I wanted something
that followed the spirit of the original NSX, my #1 dream car that I won't be able to ever afford at the rate that prices are climbing for a stock sample.

This takes me to the topic at hand, on my research I found out the MY17 has a trapezoidal headunit shape. What a PITA Subaru. Anyway, looking through the
parts catalogue for a replacement with a rectangular headunit opening was really confusing to say the least. After jumping through pages seeing things like "base"
model, "sport-tech" model, and "20D" and non 20d models, I found the Instrument Panel Upper for '17MY.

https://parts.boisesubaru.com/a/Suba...10-660-06.html

It took me a bit of time but I managed to extrapolate the information on the catalogue using the little information I found online. The only information I had was
from another thread on the ft86club forums that assured the CA200 was the red stitch full-size model, so if you only care about the correct option: buy the CA200.
I wanted to know what the other numbers meant, maybe there was a better looking model or something. That wasn't the case, but for future reference here it is:

__________________________________________________ ____

Notes regarding the BRZ dash cover (panel-center, assembly) variations and part numbers:

In the parts diagram, there are two types of panel assemblies. A large single-piece panel assembly that covers both the headunit and the passenger sides, and a two-piece panel
assembly composed of a small headunit dash piece and a passenger side ornament panel.

Also in the parts diagram, the 66060 diagram number covers both the large single piece and the small headunit dash piece, while the 66077 diagram number covers the passenger
side ornament panel. Confusingly, though, the large single piece dash has 66077 designation in its full part number. After a close look at the numbering pattern, I concluded this is
because all pieces that cover the passenger side in one way or another have the 66077 part number. Only the small headunit cover has 66060 in its part number.

66060:
66060CA220:
Small piano dash cover from a two-piece panel center assembly.
Fits BRZ 6AT Limited & Premium, 6MT Limited & Premium, and 6MT STI, all 2017.
Small diamond-shaped headunit panel assembly. Covers Headunit.
66077CA200:
Large one-piece full-size dash cover, leather with red stitching.
Fits BRZ 6AT and 6MT Limited 2017
This is the Canadian one-piece panel assembly. Covers headunit and passenger side.
66077CA240:
Large one-piece full-size dash cover, leather with yellow stitching.
Fits BRZ 6MT Limited 2017
Fits only a single trim, so probably for the Canadian series.yellow cars.
66077:
66077CA220:
Ornament panel assembly passenger. Leather with red stitching.
Fits BRZ 6AT Limited & Premium, 6MT Limited & Premium, and 6MT STI, all 2017.
Passenger side from a two-piece panel assembly. Probably part of the same set with 66060CA220 above.
66077CA250:
Ornament panel assembly passenger. Leather with yellow stitching.
Fits BRZ 6MT Limited 2017.
Passenger side from a two-piece panel assembly. Probably part of the same set with 66060CA220 above.
Since it also only fits a single model car, my guess is this is for the series.yellow cars here in the states.
One more thing, any of these pieces should physically "fit" on any of the cars here, the fitting designations here are probably just the trims the manufacturer intended each part to go
into from the factory (eg. CA250 & CA240 only on series yellow cars, CA200 & 240 on Canada cars, CA220 and 250 on american cars).

The reason this all was problem is that the only part with a picture is CA200. That's the one you want to buy. If anything is wrong, please let me know. Thank you.
ft86club dash discussions:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=110948&page=5
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...110948&page=24
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-22-2017), neilr (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
neilr

Drives: 2018 Cayman, 2013 FR-S
I've read a bit of discussion about double-DIN head units not filling the opening in the dash piece. Is that still true with this part? i.e. adapters will still be needed for a clean fit, but at least the non-rectangular opening is fixed?
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
I've read a bit of discussion about double-DIN head units not filling the opening in the dash piece. Is that still true with this part? i.e. adapters will still be needed for a clean fit, but at least the non-rectangular opening is fixed?
The rectangular headunit opening in the BRZ and FRS/86 is called a Toyota double din, which measures 200mm wide x 100mm tall. The regular/universal double din measures 180mm wide by x 100mm tall, so you would need a JDM Subaru AV ESCUTCHEON which you can get from Japanparts.com

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/43320

It is a bit expensive at 5000 yen (approximately 50 USD shipped), but it is the OEM solution to filling the sides. There are cheap "escutcheons" on amazon but they look exactly that, cheap, so I would do it right the first time and get the OEM.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
Trueweltall (12-26-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Metra makes them...not OEM, also not cheesy looking
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
You can buy Toyota universal Android head units that are the appropriate size to fill the 200x100mm space without spacers. Cafi, Joying, and various other brands have units of this size.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxer View Post
Metra makes them...not OEM, also not cheesy looking
I don’t think Metra makes a dash kit for the trapezoidal shaped opening in the dash of a 2017 BRZ. This is the only kit I’ve seen with the proper trapezoid shape https://www.ebay.com/itm/CT23SU15-Do...cAAOSwUMxaN5Ii
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Garage
Metra makes them for what OP was stating...The rectangular headunit opening in the BRZ
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 05:49 AM   #8
Th0masL

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017 Limited Edition
I'm experiencing the same struggle to find a way to nicely fit a 2-DIM Android Head Unit in the PITA trapezoid shaped opening of my 2017 BRZ with Starlink stock Head Unit.

I've ordered this part, from Japan, but I'm not sure it's going to do the job :
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/su00301910

Has anyone found the right thing to buy ?
Th0masL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembly, brz, cover, headunit, panel