follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #617
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20firestorm13 View Post
You can also speak with:

Nameless
Perrin
Grimspeed
Accelerated Performance

These guys all work closely with AWDtuning and can let you know about them as well. They also just sleeved a block for JMS racing.
Yeah I didn't mean "good" as in a positive account. It's actually quite the opposite.

I would personally never take my car to Alamo Autosports in Arlington or AWDTuning. Evolution Dynamics is owned by a Mechanical Engineer and the other two guys that head up the shop are also degreed engineers.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #618
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Yeah I didn't mean "good" as in a positive account. It's actually quite the opposite.

I would personally never take my car to Alamo Autosports in Arlington or AWDTuning. Evolution Dynamics is owned by a Mechanical Engineer and the other two guys that head up the shop are also degreed engineers.
I have to remember to stop by the shop as it's right down the road from me. Do you know if they have experience with tuning our cars? With ECUTek that is.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #619
Acree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shneegle View Post
I have to remember to stop by the shop as it's right down the road from me. Do you know if they have experience with tuning our cars? With ECUTek that is.

Knowing Kevin and the lack of highly modified (actual race cars) 86s in this area, I doubt he's ever spent the money for EcuTek vendor status.

But it doesn't hurt to stop by and ask. I sent him a text. I'll post if he responds.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #620
Acree

KevinD recommend Aaron at ATS Racing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acree For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (02-01-2014), Shneegle (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #621
Shneegle

Garage
Quote:
KevinD recommend Aaron at ATS Racing.
Awesome. I know that Aaron is a ECUTek dealer and this is the main reason that I was looking at his shop for that. My reasons for not getting tuned at AWD is that they don't have the experience with tuning the car like Aaron does.

Just have to be patient for my header to get here.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #622
20firestorm13

Drives: 2017 Halo Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I know what you ment. I was showing that there are reputable shops and such that use them and have great things to say

Quote:

Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #623
dawnst3ar

Drives: 2013 MT FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In my dealings with AWD, they have always been honest, personal and on time with the work. I am amazed to see anyone say otherwise, to be honest. Every time I have gone there, the shop is damn near bursting at the seams with cars, and outside of a couple of people with no facts to back their claims, I have never heard a bad thing in the local scene.

Someone mentioned COBB - last I checked they weren't doing anything with the platform, btw.

I also find it interesting that you are advising people to go to an evo shop - AWD has been part of the Subaru world for as long as they have been around, and their results have been impressive (again from what I have seen/heard).
dawnst3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dawnst3ar For This Useful Post:
20firestorm13 (01-29-2014), pleong (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #624
Acree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnst3ar View Post
In my dealings with AWD, they have always been honest, personal and on time with the work. I am amazed to see anyone say otherwise, to be honest. Every time I have gone there, the shop is damn near bursting at the seams with cars, and outside of a couple of people with no facts to back their claims, I have never heard a bad thing in the local scene.

Someone mentioned COBB - last I checked they weren't doing anything with the platform, btw.

I also find it interesting that you are advising people to go to an evo shop - AWD has been part of the Subaru world for as long as they have been around, and their results have been impressive (again from what I have seen/heard).
I never actually recommended someone take their 86 to Evolution Dynamics for work. I said go talk to them about their dealings with AWD.

That being said, I HAVE taken my BRZ to EvoD plenty of times to get work done. That has more to do with me personally trusting KevinD over anyone else when it comes to my personal cars, and the fact that they actually build full racecars. He built my Evo9. But no, it is not their bread and butter.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #625
Shneegle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnst3ar View Post

What has AWD done with your car? FI application or bolt-ons? Any Tuning? From what I have been hearing anything that is a bolt-on they are not having any problems with. But maybe you have something to add to change this.

I have been to COBB like right after I got the car in 2012 and they nearly laughed me out of there. They had no intentions to make anything for our cars. Lately it looks like they might be interested in our cars but that is only something that I have been told.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #626
20firestorm13

Drives: 2017 Halo Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yah I talked to Cobb a while back and their response was they are not interested because it is not stock force induction. They had a issue with people and unreal expectations on exactly what a tune on a NA car would so so they decided it's not worth the headache

Least that's what I was told

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shneegle View Post
What has AWD done with your car? FI application or bolt-ons? Any Tuning? From what I have been hearing anything that is a bolt-on they are not having any problems with. But maybe you have something to add to change this.

I have been to COBB like right after I got the car in 2012 and they nearly laughed me out of there. They had no intentions to make anything for our cars. Lately it looks like they might be interested in our cars but that is only something that I have been told.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #627
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
@20firestorm13 aren't you sponsored by AWDTuning?
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #628
pleong

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
First off, let me say that my dealing with them has been with my 06 STi.

What work have you had done at AWDTuning?
AWDTuning has installed injectors, fuel pump, FMIC, Phenolic spacers, TGV deletes, turbo intake tube, spark plugs, and of course a tune by Keith.

Did you set up an appointment to drop off your car or just walk in?
Most of the times I had set up appointments to drop off the car. There have been times where I needed something small looked at, and I would just walk in. They're really understanding people and really take care of you if you're in need.

Did they give you a written estimate up front?
I always ask for an estimate before I get any work done by any shop.

Did you pay more or less than the estimate? Did they call you to go over any price increases before incurring the expense?
The price was always around what the estimate was. But even if it wasn't I would understand, because sometimes there will be issues that aren't known at the time and they will come up. They were honest about it and always told me before doing any work to it. They also gave me options and alternatives. (knowledgeable)

Did they give you an estimate of when the work would be completed?

Yes and they usually on time. And again, if you've done any work yourself on any car, you know that things can always happen that could delay the process so if it was delayed a little I would understand.

Was the work completed by the estimation date?
See above answer

Did they convince you to purchase anything that you had not originally intended to purchase? What was the reasoning and are you glad you did it?
I usually always know what I want when it comes to my car. I would generally ask for their opinion and what's best for my goals and for the car itself. This question sounds like it's trying to make AWDTuning seem like most other shops, always trying to sell you something. They're not about that. If they feel your car needs something, they'll ask you first and get your input. They've always looked out for me and my best interest. They're not here to hurt anybody. What good would that do? They're here to make a name for themselves, and they have. They've done such great work. When I was at the shop, there were people from all over Texas and the US coming into the shop because they heard great things about them.

Did they give you a cost estimate on tuning?

Yes they did. Keith does amazing work. He will not tune your car balls crazy like some tuners will to get crazy high numbers. He is more concerned about the health and longevity of the motor. I'm sure if you want some crazy high hp he could tune it, but who's to say how long your motor will last. Then they would have another customer saying they blew up their motor when really the customer wanted to reach a hp goal. (rant)

Did they charge more or less than the estimate?
Neither. The estimate was what it was.

Have you been able to do any datalogging, and if so have you seen any knocking?
No knocking.

Did any hiccups come up during the wrenching work or the tuning? How did they handle it? How well-informed were you during hiccups?
Like I've said, I've never had any issues with AWDTuning. They've always told me how it is and how it will be. They've always treated me with much respect and always looked out for my best interest.

This is all after reading CF6Mech's PM

I don't want to hear anything else about CF6Mech's opinions vs my opinions because they are simply that. Our opinions. Anyone feel free to ask about my experience with them on here or via PM.
pleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #629
idario

Drives: WRB WRX stink eye
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Chaaaange of subject here. Any body else ready to throw some of the tax return money on their FRS/BRZ?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #630
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Set of headers, and some new tails....Maybe some alcantara interior pieces.....

Sent from my 2013 Toyota Scion FR-S using Tapatalk 2
Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote