follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
Plxdjake89

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S-white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Much appreciated.

The problem with the sub for me is that I dont want this large 12" sub enclosure in my trunk, I'm sure some may know it but the FRS can hold alot of stuff with the seats down. I don't want to lose that utility!

I know they make low profile subs and enclosures but those seem to be on the high side of the market for the most part. So keeping budget and space in mind amp + speakers seems to be the best upgrade in my eyes.
I had purchased this (Alpine Sbr-s8-4 8" Type-r Ported Sub Woofer Subwoofer Enclosure Preloaded Box) a while back, but blew the sub eventually after two years of ownership.

So I just purchased a used sub (alpine type r 82d2 $79.99) + sub amp (alpine Mrv-m500 $81.05) from Amazon. Replaced the blown sub with the new(used) one, and wired it all up. It's sooooo much better now in my opinion, you will instantly hear a difference

Really doesn't add too much weight, and I have it hidden underneath the mat where the spare tire is, if I opened my trunk you would not be able to see anything until you lift up the cover.

You don't need a 12 inch sub in this car, been there, done that. If anything maybe a 10, but you'll be adding more and more weight the bigger you decide to go.

I don't have any pics to show you my set up, but I'll be more than happy to take some later tonight or tomorrow in the afternoon.
Plxdjake89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plxdjake89 For This Useful Post:
Phantobe (11-20-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #16
chairmanKO

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Much appreciated.

The problem with the sub for me is that I dont want this large 12" sub enclosure in my trunk, I'm sure some may know it but the FRS can hold alot of stuff with the seats down. I don't want to lose that utility!

I know they make low profile subs and enclosures but those seem to be on the high side of the market for the most part. So keeping budget and space in mind amp + speakers seems to be the best upgrade in my eyes.
I'm was in the same boat. I changed out the stock amp and really uncorked the oem door speakers. It gives you just enough omp to make the sound feel full. This is the amp i went with.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EBQCLQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_ detailpage"]Amazon.com : Kicker 11DX1252 125W RMS 2-Channel DX Series Amplifier (DX1252) : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics[/ame]
chairmanKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #17
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanKO View Post
I'm was in the same boat. I changed out the stock amp and really uncorked the oem door speakers. It gives you just enough omp to make the sound feel full. This is the amp i went with.

Amazon.com : Kicker 11DX1252 125W RMS 2-Channel DX Series Amplifier (DX1252) : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics
You left the speakers OEM?

Is the amp swap simple, plug n play.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
chairmanKO

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
You left the speakers OEM?

Is the amp swap simple, plug n play.
Yup everything is stock. Simple plug and play. no splicing of factory wires. You will need this wiring kit:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQJ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_ detailpage"]Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics[/ame]

follow the instructions here on how to repin the wires.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239

Unplug the oem amp, plug in the new one and THATS IT! You're not going to win any audio competitions but the sound will be much fuller.

Btw - the signal coming to the door speakers is full range. This kicker amp has crossover settings that will give you the ability to do low or high pass filter. I tried the low pass filter to make the doors become a sub and it just sounds muddy. I left the crossover off and it's just perfect for me.
chairmanKO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chairmanKO For This Useful Post:
rixter145 (05-23-2021), SkyeHack (09-18-2018)