follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #43
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st162celica View Post

Ban this guy !

LOL

Ermm why?

Oh because I said the car is underpowered?
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #44
Hawk77FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Interesting understanding of mathematics and business though.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #45
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,369 Times in 4,133 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
a great underpowered sports car.
"underpowered" is subjective.The BRZ produces more power than my existing car and the only time my car feels underpowered is down the straight at Wakefield. On public roads it is fast enough especially around corners and the BRZ will be much quicker.

The BRZ/86 maybe underpowered for you.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #46
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oh man this thread is still going??
We need mods that actually look at the Australian subforum from time to time..
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #47
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
"underpowered" is subjective.
Of course it is.

You need to compare it to its current peers: Focus ST, Megane RS265 or even the Liberty/Legacy on which it is based. It's superior to those cars in many ways, but is comparatively underpowered. You can't praise one aspect without acknowledging the other.

For the money, I would rather a nimble and balanced but underpowered BRZ/86 to a grippy bum dragger.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #48
st162celica

Drives: 86 GTS Manual - Tornado Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Ermm why?

Oh because I said the car is underpowered?
delivering a great adequately powered sports car.
st162celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #49
Hawk77FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by st162celica View Post
delivering a great adequately powered sports car.
So let me guess: If Toyota would release a TRD supercharger (which we all know it's just speculation at this stage) you will not go for it. Or better still if the car would've come with say 280hp at the same price you would've said "Nah, it has too much power"? It's not adequate enough?
I like the car, dont get me wrong! Heck, I am even getting one too. But, IMHO i still think is slightly underpowered. Yes, it is "adequately powered sports car" for the specs of the car (skinny tyres, low centre of gravity, etc) BUT please bolt on a turbo, wider tyres, make it at least the standard 280hp and see which one delivers more fun! Hence the huge amount of aftermarket parts that improves the driveability and also the power of the car.
Given the success of the 86/BRZ in about two years Toyota will release a slightly more powered 86 with a tune and a better exhaust. And then another two years and they will release a turbocharged/supercharged version. Maybe 2014 will see us with a roadster version.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #50
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't think it's underpowered - that said, the chassis could easily handle more power, and I wouldn't say no.

But drive this thing through a good set of twistys to the best of your ability and I'll bet that the car won't run out of talent or feel underpowered.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #51
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
BUT please bolt on a turbo, wider tyres, make it at least the standard 280hp and see which one delivers more fun!
Sure,it would be faster but would it be better?

I have told this story before so please forgive if you have already read it.

I drove a Ferrari Modena 360 around Thruxton. It was fun and fast and totally beyond me. I had a lot more fun driving a Peugeot 206 diesel along twisty roads in Western Europe. Yes, I was always wanting more power but that didn't stop from thrashing it mercilessly and loving every minute.

I am suggesting for a street car 147kW is adequate for the target market. That was (supposedly) the whole point of the car. Relatively slow and accessible. As has been said before there is more satisfaction in wringing a car out than to having to back off.

My 3 cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
st162celica (11-23-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #52
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I drove a Ferrari Modena 360 around Thruxton. It was fun and fast but it was totally beyond me. I had a lot more fun driving a Peugeot 206 diesel along twisty roads in Western Europe. Yes, I was always wanting more power but that didn't stop from thrashing it mercilessly and loving every minute.

I am suggesting for a street car 147kW is adequate for the target market. That was (supposedly) the whole point of the car. Relatively slow and accessible. As has been said before there is more satisfaction in wringing a car out than to having to back off.

My 3 cents.
To add to your story many people in the evo world move to GTR's, then move back to evo's. They say that the GTR is to safe and boring. Sure a evo is miles faster then a BRZ/FRS but its the same concept i feel.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #53
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

I drove a Ferrari Modena 360 around Thruxton. It was fun and fast and totally beyond me. I had a lot more fun driving a Peugeot 206 diesel along twisty roads in Western Europe. Yes, I was always wanting more power but that didn't stop from thrashing it mercilessly and loving every minute.

My 3 cents.

As I'm guessing we've all heard: It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
st162celica (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #54
Hawk77FT

Quote:

My 3 cents.
Similar story but in my case was a Porsche 911 turbo. I was the driver as well as the passenger. When I was the passenger, the driver was very very experienced (which made me almost shit myself) and after having couple of runs with him driving, I realised that I took quite a few corners at a much lower speeds. Why? Well, fear, not being my car, not knowing the limits of the car, just to name few. But I bet if I would've lived with that car for few days or weeks (with everyday driving) I would've learned the limits of it and be able to push it much harder.
However, with this car, you can have same fun or somewhat similar but at much lower speed and I agree with you. In case something goes wrong, you can either control it back or the damage will not be life threatining, however in a POrsche/Ferrari you're either fucked (unless you're stupidly rich) or dead.
Nevertheless, the car is underpowered for it's limits. I reckon with a bit more it could be a serious contender to cheaper/older Porsche Boxters out there.

300-360 for this car given the chassie, etc...would be perfect. Even 250 would be enough to make you feel good. Not on those skinny tires though.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #55
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Off topic.
4 months to go! Wooooo!!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #56
Palmy

Drives: '12 86 GTS (AUDM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post
I'm more amused by the number of people outside the region who've come in specifically to be insulting.

I don't get it at all. It may not be the world's newest or most exciting thread, but why would you go to a regional sub-forum purely to be rude?
Palmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Palmy For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (11-23-2012)