follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's this worth?

I'll be selling my current ride when I get my FR-S and could use some advice from those more experienced in valuing used cars as to it its pricing, since the usual sources for Canadian used prices don't really give values that apply due to the fact that my car has really been garage pampered, with only 55K km/ 25K miles on it, and is in almost-new condition.

It's a silver 98 Tiburon with sports package (15" alloys, spoiler, disc brakes, mt). Average private market asking for a car like this with typical 100,000+ miles is a joke, about 1500-2000 CAD. What sort of a premium should I be asking for given its unique condition?
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
I'll be selling my current ride when I get my FR-S and could use some advice from those more experienced in valuing used cars as to it its pricing, since the usual sources for Canadian used prices don't really give values that apply due to the fact that my car has really been garage pampered, with only 55K km/ 25K miles on it, and is in almost-new condition.

It's a silver 98 Tiburon with sports package (15" alloys, spoiler, disc brakes, mt). Average private market asking for a car like this with typical 100,000+ miles is a joke, about 1500-2000 CAD. What sort of a premium should I be asking for given its unique condition?
It's hard to say what the market will support... It's always nice to see a used car that has really been taken care of, but that can mean next to nothing if the demand isn't there (not saying it isn't).

How many people in your region, are in the market for a late-90s Tiburon? Of those people, how many want the car bad enough to pay a premium for one in excellent repair? How much of a premium will they pay?

These are a few of the questions you've got to ask yourself before posting any kind of ad with pricing... You want to make it an attractive price that doesn't scare buyers away (and doesn't get you a ton of lowball offers), but also position it in such a way that the uncommonly good condition of the car is represented.

Consider offering it with safety and e-test. Including those shows you are confident in the condition of the vehicle.

Good luck with the sale!

Cheers,

Colin
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post
It's hard to say what the market will support... It's always nice to see a used car that has really been taken care of, but that can mean next to nothing if the demand isn't there (not saying it isn't).

How many people in your region, are in the market for a late-90s Tiburon? Of those people, how many want the car bad enough to pay a premium for one in excellent repair? How much of a premium will they pay?

These are a few of the questions you've got to ask yourself before posting any kind of ad with pricing... You want to make it an attractive price that doesn't scare buyers away (and doesn't get you a ton of lowball offers), but also position it in such a way that the uncommonly good condition of the car is represented.

Consider offering it with safety and e-test. Including those shows you are confident in the condition of the vehicle.

Good luck with the sale!

Cheers,

Colin
All good advice.

The bottom line is almost no one is going to value a car that has been taken very well care of as much as the person that has owned it and babied it. You should be able to get some premium for its condition, but unless you find someone that is specifically looking for your year/make/model with some level of emotional attachment to it, you're not going to get 2x or 3x the "standard going rate" for a used car regardless of the model or condition. Collectible/restored cars are an exception to that but again that goes back to the emotional attachment to it for the buyer and its actual market value.

Have you been able to find any like cars (condition/mileage/etc) on a dealer lot/website? That will tell you what the retail price is. You aren't likely to get more than that. If you can find examples <100K miles, that would be your best guide.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post

Thanks - with e-test are you referring to the emissions test? Just had one done for license renewal a few months ago so I can show them the results. Not sure what the safety test is. (Never sold a car before.) I imagine the required government forms for transfer of ownership are on the web.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
colHolm
Default User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Thanks - with e-test are you referring to the emissions test? Just had one done for license renewal a few months ago so I can show them the results. Not sure what the safety test is. (Never sold a car before.)
Ok good, your e-test (emissions) is valid for a year.

The safety certification is a checklist of items on the car that must be in working condition for the car to be roadworthy, i.e. tires aren't bald, brakes work, all the lights work, etc.

Most places charge between $80-100 to get it done. Be aware, I believe a safety certification is only good for 30 days (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Getting this done will tell your prospective buyers that they will not have to spend any additional money on the car to get it licensed and on the road.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
colHolm
Default User Title

Give this a read.