follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
nasrath007

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Advice required: Spun out rod bearings.

So I bought a 2013 FRS only 48hrs ago from a forum member here, and unfortunately to my bad luck, in my 24 hrs of ownership (and driving the car back 900 miles from Detroit to Boston), the connecting rod bearings spun out on me. I feel that it is partially my fault as I may have gotten carried away with the "enthusiastic" driving in the back roads once I got back home.

Long story short, after a lot of grieving over the car I just bought (with 128k miles on it), I figured that it may be utterly pointless to replace the Short Block (as my mechanic suggested) with an OEM one for 2-3k. Instead I was thinking about going for forged internal parts in order to better reinforce the engine's reliability, and leave room for future forced induction should I choose to go down that route.

So I need some advice from all of the owners who have possibly experienced similar problems as mine. The car is bone stock with 0 mods. I would like to keep the car as reliable as possible, as being on a grad student's budget with a hobby car is quite difficult. Any advice regarding a rebuild is much appreciated.

P.S- This is my first tuner car, I have little to no experience on engine rebuilds. If any member can suggest a good shop that rebuilds engines in Massachusetts or around the New England area, I'd greatly appreciate it.
nasrath007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Maybe Kaizen Tuning in Boxborough if that's close to you.

Huge dedicated shop and certifications with various tuning lines, HKS master shop etc.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrath007 View Post
I feel that it is partially my fault as I may have gotten carried away with the "enthusiastic" driving in the back roads once I got back home.

Don't beat yourself up about it, unless you mechanically overspun it by shifting in a too-low gear, you just had terrible luck that's all.

I don't think it's pointless to get a used junkyard engine. You can get a low mileage one for ~2.5k, and even if you decide to go FI, most people run FI on an otherwise stock motor. I'd get the junkyard motor and save the rest for a good header+tune and some sticky tires.

Good luck!
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry for the bad luck. Your acceptance of maybe being part of the cause is admirable on your part but stuff happens. Though not last owners fault he should buy some lottery tickets cause he sold at the perfect time.
best of luck

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Don't forget, IAG and MAperformance sell built blocks and will take your engine core!! Bad luck is an opportunity to build the car right, from your first month of ownership!

The silver lining is very tough on this one, it's unfortunate that the car had met its demise. In the future, be sure to change all the fluids as soon as you get the car home, so in your ownership, you know exactly hat's in it, how much, and when it was last changed
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If you want to go FI, get a longblock from a well known builder and drop it in. If you just want to enjoy your car NA, get a junkyard motor. Hop over to the 86ONE Facebook group, there were two motors for sale just last month.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, rebuild