follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #2689
Laloosh

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If anybody cares I did some testing today with HR 5mm spacers. I just wanted to confirm you need to install longer studs to run these spacer...and you do. On the stock setup I get about 10.5 rotations unill the lug is torqued. Add the 5mm spacer and I get 6.5 full rotations. The minimum recommended is 8 turns so proceed at yor own risk but I am going to install the longer studs that came with the spacers.
2014 BRZ C-Street #11 245/40/17 RE71R's, Camber Bolts, Koni Shocks, Perrin 19m Bar, 5mm Spacer/Longer Studs, Berk Track Pipe, KNN Drop In, Fancy alignment
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #2690
Cueman

Drives: In Perfect Control At All Times
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloosh View Post
If anybody cares I did some testing today with HR 5mm spacers. I just wanted to confirm you need to install longer studs to run these spacer...and you do. On the stock setup I get about 10.5 rotations unill the lug is torqued. Add the 5mm spacer and I get 6.5 full rotations. The minimum recommended is 8 turns so proceed at yor own risk but I am going to install the longer studs that came with the spacers.
I just did this on the weekend. I paid big $$ for the H&R's because the came with longer studs. The studs are MAAAYBE 5mm longer than the stock studs. My calipers measured 4.5mm. I was pretty disappointed.

With my Technocast wheels I get 9 turns... that's supposed to be enough, but I wish I bought ARP studs that are actually a useful length.

The stud swap is pretty easy though. Someone advised me that I'd have to remove the hubs to get the studs in and out, but that certainly was not that case.
Cueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #2691
Laloosh

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Big money? It was 120 bucks for all 4. I didn't think that was bad. As long as I get 8 turns I'm happy.
2014 BRZ C-Street #11 245/40/17 RE71R's, Camber Bolts, Koni Shocks, Perrin 19m Bar, 5mm Spacer/Longer Studs, Berk Track Pipe, KNN Drop In, Fancy alignment
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #2692
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The ARP studs are worth it. I run an 8mm spacer right now and have room to go longer if I want. They also have a tapered section at the end with no threads that makes it extremely difficult to cross thread a lug - one of those things you don't realize how nice it is until you have it.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 PM   #2693
SVLTE

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I did the ARP studs this weekend as well. Nothing too difficult, but not exactly a fun install either. Impact wrench was a big help in using the washer method for installing the new ones, which I did with the front hubs on and rears off (rears are way easier to remove anyway). Great peace of mind knowing that these will stand up to tons of wheel swaps and accommodate whatever spacers I need to get max track width.

SVLTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:15 AM   #2694
Cueman

Quote:
Big money? It was 120 bucks for all 4. I didn't think that was bad. As long as I get 8 turns I'm happy.
I paid 180. There are generic 5mm spacers at my local shop for $40/4. Not a huge loss I agree, but I regret my choice and will be ordering ARP with my next set of wheels.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:32 AM   #2695
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:

12x1.25 stud would give you 10mm of engagement for 8 turns. You should ideally have 12mm or more for maximum strength. I've never measured stock studs, now you've got me curious.

Mark
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #2696
Cueman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
12x1.25 stud would give you 10mm of engagement for 8 turns. You should ideally have 12mm or more for maximum strength. I've never measured stock studs, now you've got me curious.

Mark
It's been my thinking as well that thread engagement should be at least the same as the bolt gauge. H&R thinks 8 turns (10mm) is enough.

I believe the stock studs with stock wheels get that 10 turns (12mm)
Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #2697
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
At a pro solo, protests must be delivered in writing to the impound worker, usually within 30 minutes of results being posted for that heat, and the protest fee paid ($100, plus the whatever cost may be needed to check the part in question - if you protest someone's pistons, prepare to pay for an engine teardown). At that point the chief of protest assembles a protest committee (PC) to hear the protester's claim of which rule was broken and the protestee's defense to why said rule wasn't broken. The PC then deliberates privately with each other before returning a verdict. If successful, protester gets their full fee and bond money back. If not, they're out of luck.

If found non-compliant, the PC has wide latitude in selecting a penalty - everything from "no penalty" (some dumb appearance mod) to "disqualified" is possible. The the losing side can appeal this decision ($200 fee) and have the national office take a look at it within a week.

thank you for this.

so if no protests were made at your event, even though you made it known to your competitors, is this a precedent that you could use at future events? Is this a precedent I could use in Canada?

when do you think the dust will settle on this issue, or is it going to be one big unknown for the next 2-3 months?

our first regional in early May, so I have a month to decide if I want to start an arms race up here. Since our main series is essentially just one big PAX championship, a lot of people are going to be getting cheeky with me if I follow through.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #2698
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
thank you for this.
so if no protests were made at your event, even though you made it known to
your competitors, is this a precedent that you could use at future events? Is
this a precedent I could use in Canada?
No, I don't think it would be precedent. "They were too indifferent to protest it at El Toro" or "I heard a couple guys got away with it" doesn't sound convincing. Now, if someone had protested them, and the protest got fully denied, bond and fee forfeited, then you would have some precedent. Pretty strong, but still not iron-clad, though.

Canadia?

Quote:
when do you think the dust will settle on this issue, or is it going to be one
big unknown for the next 2-3 months?
Letters were sent in by probably at least a few folks looking for an official ruling on this. That's the answer you can bank on. Could be settled for the season in time for the next FasTrack. Mayyyybe the one after that.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #2699
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
No, I don't think it would be precedent. "They were too indifferent to protest it at El Toro" or "I heard a couple guys got away with it" doesn't sound convincing. Now, if someone had protested them, and the protest got fully denied, bond and fee forfeited, then you would have some precedent. Pretty strong, but still not iron-clad, though.

Canadia?

Letters were sent in by probably at least a few folks looking for an official ruling on this. That's the answer you can bank on. Could be settled for the season in time for the next FasTrack. Mayyyybe the one after that.
I'm hoping for sooner rather than later. Buying the TRD springs tonight, off a guy who just listed them in the classifieds.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #2700
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I'm hoping for sooner rather than later. Buying the TRD springs tonight, off a guy who just listed them in the classifieds.
Make sure the part numbers are on the springs and sways! GL!
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #2701
MPot

Drives: SSC #79
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post

The SEB call is typically before the end of the previous month, then anything discussed is printed in the next Fastrack around the 20th of the month. So any decision would be based on what information they had before the end of March. Based on what I've seen, it would not surprise me that they announce the parts legal for the 2014s & 2015s only.
Mike
MPot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #2702
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
Make sure the part numbers are on the springs and sways! GL!
Well I can only see the PNs on two of them in the pic, but I'm assuming they're on the others too.

Edit: The springs are brand new, never installed. Guy bought them, got bigger wheels (which filled out the wheel gap enough for him) and is apparently in need of money; which is why he's selling the springs.

Last edited by Shark_Bait88; 04-01-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Shark_Bait88 is offline   Reply With Quote