follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
chotemaamu

Drives: DGM LTD 6MT, Honda
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackseed View Post
The default stereo system has bluetooth leashing, microphone and is perfectly capable of handling your music needs.

Save your money and find a nice 3rd party unit if you really want something over the stock unit - I don't have the BeSpoke but I've seen enough of them on other cars locally and none of the users were really impressed with it.

Enjoy your car once you get it though!
Thanks dude. I already ordered one so I'll talk to the dealer and see if I can change my order.
Is the sound any better with Bespoke unit?
chotemaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
chotemaamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlu View Post
Dealers would be absolutely overjoyed to install the add-ons for you. When I was searching for my FR-S (also in the Bay Area), I waited for 7 or 8 months trying to find one stock (although I did turn down two stock Firestorm ones). If I wanted to add on BeSpoke and exhaust, it would have been a much shorter wait.

Although I did end up adding on BeSpoke and leather seats, so I guess the dealer won in the end and I'm an idiot for waiting so long. Asphalt is such a great color though.
How's your experience with BeSpoke so far? Is it worth it?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chotemaamu View Post
Thanks dude. I already ordered one so I'll talk to the dealer and see if I can change my order.
Is the sound any better with Bespoke unit?
Not necessarily, and if it is its only marginal. I remember reading that the HU can do maybe 50 watts more than stock but either way thats not the limiting factor. I don't know how hands on you are but for the 900 dollars that you would be paying for your HU upgrade you can basically buy the OEMAudio+ System 400 from TRDsparks which will give u amazing sound. Assuming you can install it. Or a really amazing headunit with navigation and all the bells and whistles (a lot of android ones coming out).

OEMAudio+ link if you are interested: http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=4425
I plan on getting this system soon. The install is a 6 or so hour job but I have heard amazing things from the people on the forum.
(install video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytAyXbgS5w"]Scion FR-S | System 400+ Installation - YouTube[/ame])
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks campy. If I replace the stock headunit with the stereo of my choice, that would void the warranty too, correct?
It will only void the warranty if they are certain the problem was caused by the aftermarket headunit. For example if your only mod is the stereo, and the engine starts knocking, it will still be covered under warranty. If you blow a speaker or your bluetooth microphone stops working, they probably won't cover it.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
panoy86

Drives: FR-S, e36 M3 (all stock)
I unfortunately did not have any good experience with both Dublin and San Bruno Scion dealerships, they put in add-ons (that in my calculations were worth less than 1K) and were asking roughly 6K above MSRP. I ended driving 120 miles north to Santa Rosa, got my FR-S in MSRP price, the salesman was great, the finance lady was a bit pushy on the 100k maintenance, I didn't budge though. Before I bought my FR-S, I also read quite a bit on the Bespoke unit, and most agreed it wasn't worth the price, and the iOS maps integration was just horrendous.

I have an older e36 M3 whose PO worked in a "sound company" and he put in some serious sound system in that car. I've to say the base FR-S stereo isn't bad, there's this one company that already has a custom speaker set (pretty pricey at above 1K) but it integrates well and looks very stock. The name escapes me at the moment, sorry. Other FR-S owners have started dynamat-ing their cars to remove the "tinny" sounds from the stock bass and speakers.
panoy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panoy86 For This Useful Post:
chotemaamu (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
chotemaamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofan View Post
I agree. This is probably the most economic way. The 2 jobs should be relatively easy. If you do a little bit of homework I would say you can have them done in one afternoon.~
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Are you sure you want the bespoke system? I think the people who get them generally aren't super happy with them.

The stereo headunit is installed at the dealerships. The cars arrive with just a hole in the dash. You could also install the exhaust yourself, but I can't promise you that the dealership will cover it under warranty if you do it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypm View Post
The BeSpoke and exhaust are both fairly easy for you to install yourself and save some $$$. I believe the radio has a MSRP of $850.00 and the exhaust around $1200.00. Many people are selling their BeSpoke in the forum for sale section for around $500.00. You can sell your base radio for $150.00-175.00. You can buy the TRD exhaust from some dealers for less than $1000.00 and also install it yourself. There is a Do It Yourself section on the forum that provides a step by step install process.

Good luck on your purchase.
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I already ordered one with a BeSpoke unit and TRD exhaust, so unless the dealer agrees to change my order I don't have much choice Unless of-course I put another order in place with a different dealer.

Regarding the DIY route, I am little nervous about that because I don't have much experience working with tools and I don't want to experiment with my new car, if you know what I mean. But I'll definitely check out DIY threads and if there's something I can do myself.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just my .02 - I got the bespoke audio system installed in my car, and its by far the worst audio system I've had/used in a car. That being said, I do enjoy the calling features & bluetooth.

If I could do it again, I'd do without bespoke. But as it is, its not "worse" than stock in my eyes as it does add a few extra features.

And the damn thing doesn't even display the current song playing (and I have a Droid, which its said to support)...
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Thanks campy. If I replace the stock headunit with the stereo of my choice, that would void the warranty too, correct?
No.

And the stock speakers are junk. No bass at all and its muddy and absolutely disgusting. But, the head unit does handle my media needs.

Id suggest upgrading the speakers and adding a sub - theres no need to change the head unit out unless youre wanting something high fidelity and greater adjustability. Itll stream bluetooth at high bitrates and does not introduce a garbage signal like an aux input will.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
jlu

Drives: Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
How's your experience with BeSpoke so far? Is it worth it?
From a $850 standpoint, there are better units available (even if you include the installation price as part of the $850). From a pure functionality standpoint, I've had no problems whatsoever with Bluetooth, touchscreen performance, iPod syncing, and everything the BeSpoke is advertised as being capable of.

As I have an iPhone 5, I don't have much experience with the actual app but I've heard it's not very good.

I do plan on swapping out for another head unit with navigation when I upgrade my sound system - however, if there's some way to modify the BeSpoke to project Google Maps or another map app from my phone onto the BeSpoke screen, I'm just going to keep it. I know people have already gotten backup cameras to work with the unit.
jlu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
chotemaamu (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
chotemaamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlu View Post
From a $850 standpoint, there are better units available (even if you include the installation price as part of the $850). From a pure functionality standpoint, I've had no problems whatsoever with Bluetooth, touchscreen performance, iPod syncing, and everything the BeSpoke is advertised as being capable of.

As I have an iPhone 5, I don't have much experience with the actual app but I've heard it's not very good.

I do plan on swapping out for another head unit with navigation when I upgrade my sound system - however, if there's some way to modify the BeSpoke to project Google Maps or another map app from my phone onto the BeSpoke screen, I'm just going to keep it. I know people have already gotten backup cameras to work with the unit.
That's good info. Ability to use Google Maps would be reaaally cool.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
chotemaamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Not necessarily, and if it is its only marginal. I remember reading that the HU can do maybe 50 watts more than stock but either way thats not the limiting factor. I don't know how hands on you are but for the 900 dollars that you would be paying for your HU upgrade you can basically buy the OEMAudio+ System 400 from TRDsparks which will give u amazing sound. Assuming you can install it. Or a really amazing headunit with navigation and all the bells and whistles (a lot of android ones coming out).

OEMAudio+ link if you are interested: http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=4425
I plan on getting this system soon. The install is a 6 or so hour job but I have heard amazing things from the people on the forum.
(install video:
)
Thanks for the youtube link. But I'm not that hands on and would be really apprehensive with testing my 'skills' with my new car. Plus this doesn't really provide any improvement to the navigation capabilities.

Last edited by chotemaamu; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #26
chotemaamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Just my .02 - I got the bespoke audio system installed in my car, and its by far the worst audio system I've had/used in a car. That being said, I do enjoy the calling features & bluetooth.

If I could do it again, I'd do without bespoke. But as it is, its not "worse" than stock in my eyes as it does add a few extra features.

And the damn thing doesn't even display the current song playing (and I have a Droid, which its said to support)...
How are the maps though? Does it use the phone for that?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #27
chotemaamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
No.

And the stock speakers are junk. No bass at all and its muddy and absolutely disgusting. But, the head unit does handle my media needs.

Id suggest upgrading the speakers and adding a sub - theres no need to change the head unit out unless youre wanting something high fidelity and greater adjustability. Itll stream bluetooth at high bitrates and does not introduce a garbage signal like an aux input will.
Thanks @supramkivtt2jz How do you feel about navigation? Is it any good?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Navigation doesn't really work. It does speak it through the speakers (using bluetooth), but apparently the stock system supports bluetooth as well...

To my knowledge, there's no navigation button and no display for the navigation either. There might be a way to hack that functionality into it though, but I haven't gotten around to looking into it.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote