follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I re-read the OP, GreySaber refers to "textured feel". Are you referring to the very slight wavyness seen only when viewing a reflection closely or at a low angle, or are you looking at the colored/metallic flecks embedded in the paint? The photo posted above clearly shows both... The wavyness in reflections is orange peel, not the colored flecks.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxjap View Post
Over 5 cards were same color code except they had extra letter attached to end to differentiate the variances. I tried to match... Then thought I had better things to do than stare at color cards all day...

THIS!

Colors are sprayed at the factory with the same guns/robots. When there is a change of color, the guns are 'cleaned' out, but residual tones/paint exist which cause slight variations in the color as it is sprayed on several cars.

Also, you (OP) may notice the variation of the 'sparkle' or flakes in multi-tone paint (whiteout, asphalt) when it is sprayed over metal vs. plastic of the bumpers.

The argento/asphalt is the best for dirt over the raven. Do a search of owners driving themselves crazy (or not) keeping the black cars swirl-free.

The biggest difference b/w the twins is the suspesion tuning. This is the first post I have read that expressed these differences, but I haven't read all the posts about this on this site. The FR-S is a bit more stiff, and you just shared to what degree they are different, thanks!

Eric G

and yeah, its orange peel. This excess can be color/wet sanded and buffed out to a mirror finish. While the FA major may help ID'ing different shades/tints/tones, the physics class you took also will come into play when understanding why the same color/tint/shade 'appears' different in different conditions.
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkiisupra For This Useful Post:
sbxjap (05-01-2013), Snoopyalien24 (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiisupra View Post
THIS!

Colors are sprayed at the factory with the same guns/robots. When there is a change of color, the guns are 'cleaned' out, but residual tones/paint exist which cause slight variations in the color as it is sprayed on several cars.

Also, you (OP) may notice the variation of the 'sparkle' or flakes in multi-tone paint (whiteout, asphalt) when it is sprayed over metal vs. plastic of the bumpers.

The argento/asphalt is the best for dirt over the raven. Do a search of owners driving themselves crazy (or not) keeping the black cars swirl-free.

The biggest difference b/w the twins is the suspesion tuning. This is the first post I have read that expressed these differences, but I haven't read all the posts about this on this site. The FR-S is a bit more stiff, and you just shared to what degree they are different, thanks!

Eric G

and yeah, its orange peel. This excess can be color/wet sanded and buffed out to a mirror finish. While the FA major may help ID'ing different shades/tints/tones, the physics class you took also will come into play when understanding why the same color/tint/shade 'appears' different in different conditions.

I love how my customers ask why the bumper doesn't match the body of the car perfectly... I tell them "see... I have this 2013 Subaru BRZ, you probably never heard of it, and it has brand new paint from the factory and it's slightly off. "
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
mkiisupra

Drives: 83 Toyota Supra, 16 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
I think mica paints used mica at one point. Now, I think that it refers to a 'metal flake' type color that isn't simply 'silver' in color. Micas usually have a bit of copper/gold in the flake reflection, rather than the simple silver.

Eric G
mkiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #33
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySaber View Post
The above pic is of an "Asphaut grey" scion. Does the BRZ dark grey use all that flake?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Looks identical to my co-workers '08 WRX and my other co-workers '10 STI.

Or at least I can't tell the difference.
The Toyota, Subaru, and Scion versions are literally made side by side by side in the same factory which belongs to Subaru.
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-02-2013)