follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #15
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
BTW, I've been running these CASCAMs on my car for over a year, and have not had ANY issues like the ones you are experiencing. I'd be looking to other suspension components first before the CASCAMs.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:12 AM   #16
Deraj

Drives: '14 Asphalt Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also had a clunking noise - on stock suspension plus Raceseng cascams dialed for max camber. I contacted Raceseng and they said they had a production run of bolts (the 3 top mounting bolts) that were too long. As a result, the spring perch was hitting up against the bottom part of the bolt and causing the clunk. I should mention that Raceseng was very responsive and sent out replacement bolts and spring perches the same day. I would measure one of those bolts and shoot it over to Raceseng to see if that's your problem.
Deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deraj For This Useful Post:
Raceseng (05-26-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #17
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
This. If the bolt holding the endlink to the swaybar or the bolt holding the endlink to the strut/coilover is loose, you'll get clunking when there is an uneven load on the swaybar. A case where this can happen is when you are entering a driveway and one side of the front suspension becomes loaded while the other is not. In this case there is the most extreme load on the front swaybar and if the endlinks aren't REALLY tight, you can get clunking. I've encountered this problem more than once on my car. It is a good idea to check the nuts on the endlinks from time to time as they may come loose even if you tightened them properly during the initial install. I've also found that depending on which endlinks you are running, it may be necessary to put a 3/8" fender washer on both sides of the mounting point for the endlink to get them to snugly tighten up.
It cant be this. I tightened with hex key and wrench. The next time i used an impact wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj View Post
I also had a clunking noise - on stock suspension plus Raceseng cascams dialed for max camber. I contacted Raceseng and they said they had a production run of bolts (the 3 top mounting bolts) that were too long. As a result, the spring perch was hitting up against the bottom part of the bolt and causing the clunk. I should mention that Raceseng was very responsive and sent out replacement bolts and spring perches the same day. I would measure one of those bolts and shoot it over to Raceseng to see if that's your problem.
i had a problem getting 2.6 camber in my alignment and it was because of that issue. I too got replacement bolts. I dont know if maybe something else could have got damage during the alignment as they were trying to set it. I doubt it but i am not sure what to look at.

I check every bolt. Next day off i guess i will swap on oem top mount and see for sure...
Old 05-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #18
Raceseng

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
This damage is from the bolts that were too long. We will gladly replace the spring perch, please send me an email and we will get it shipped out.

It sounds like we eliminated the spherical bearing from the equation.

Please do the same check on the radial bearing in the spring perch. Make sure it moves smoothly and does not have any play.

If we eliminate both of components, the next thing to address is installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I disassembled the passenger side today. Took the whole thing out.

Bearing moves smoothly. No play. No noise. Reassembled everything, new blue loctite on fasteners.

Sound is still there. Occurs much more when single wheel is driving over bumps, not much if any when both wheels go over something, like an expansion joint.

I noticed this damage to the spring perch. It may be from an incorrect bolt on initial install which has since been replaced but I can't be sure.

Raceseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #19
Raceseng

We already cleared this up with him but thank you for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj View Post
Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #20
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had some weird noises after my install, and luckily it was just the strut bar was torqued too high....

Good luck with your fix OP
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #21
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Ugh sry no update. Today my day off and absolutely pissing rain. Ill try get up early tomorrow and hope it stopped and do some more investigation.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #22
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
As Jarrett, said earlier, its probably that the bearing has play. Mine started making a noise and Raceseng replaced it all for me. New part is installed and no more clunking.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Might be fixed? Going to test drive tonight and tomorrow ~50 miles to NYC and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranatsu View Post
As Jarrett, said earlier, its probably that the bearing has play. Mine started making a noise and Raceseng replaced it all for me. New part is installed and no more clunking.
When I removed everything there didn't seem to be play. If I have to tomorrow I will reinstall OEM top hat and see. I don't want to just throw new parts at it as I'll still be frustrated if they don't work.

Crossing my fingers for the test dive tonight.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 AM   #24
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Sorry no update for while, been busy with some other stuff haven't even drive the car until a few days ago.

I guess it has to be the bearing as there is really nothing else it could be. I just did a track day Friday and car drives fine. I don't know but I'm not going to waste any more time trying to hunt it down lol

Anyway I would like to hit up @Raceseng for those replacement top mounts if its not too late. Maybe I should just buy a replacement bearing and see what happens.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #25
Raceseng

Send me an email with your shipping address and what side bearing housing you need, we will get it shipped out same day.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Sorry no update for while, been busy with some other stuff haven't even drive the car until a few days ago.

I guess it has to be the bearing as there is really nothing else it could be. I just did a track day Friday and car drives fine. I don't know but I'm not going to waste any more time trying to hunt it down lol

Anyway I would like to hit up @Raceseng for those replacement top mounts if its not too late. Maybe I should just buy a replacement bearing and see what happens.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #26
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Got the replacement bearing Friday. Did not receive the spring perches. But I was excited because I knew immediately the bearing would fix it.

I guess I couldn't tell because I had no comparison but when I removed the parts last time the bearing moved freely. This new one I couldn't even move.

Anyway, I installed it seems to fix problem. But I only drove a couple miles and my car is going into shop for some unrelated issues. Will do extensive test drive and track time when I get it back.

Thanks @Raceseng for superb customer service