follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #23591
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm at the dealer getting my car serviced. It's going to take 2 hrs what to do ?
Also asked about my fuel pump getting replaced and they said it would be a 6 hr wait for them to inspect it. Fuck.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #23592
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Hydraulics are pretty much the same, right?

Any way we could tie in vacuum assistance like brakes, for certain applications? If high velocity is detected (pressure based?) we could use vacuum to balance it, creating less proportional damping (which is just pressure differential and flow control?) in that case, possibly regressing the normal curve?

Hmmm... 5 question marks in one post. Out of my comfort zone knowledge-wise. Heh...
I fear the size of the diaphragm that would be required to be able to combat the forces on a wheel would be prohibitively large.

I envisioned what your were talking about being implemented with hydraulics originally. My guess is that at those tubing lengths the compressibility of a gas would slow the reactions too much. Pneumatic controls work well in high capacitive system because the system doesn't change fast enough for the slow reaction time of the control signals to matter. (in fact if you know what you're doing you can use that damping) Controlling a ships shaft speed with pneumatic controls works because the flywheel effect of the five or six tons or rotating shafts and gears makes that system very slow to react. Even driving 15,000 hp though the system and having the prop come out of the water,(HUGE change in resistance) pneumatics can respond fast enough to keep the shaft from over speeding. But reacting to the tiny motions and relatively fast speed of a suspension isn't something I'd want to tune with pneumatics.

Now the non-compressible nature of hydraulics, the efficiency of power transmission through the fluid, and the speed of sound in it should work well with distances.

I got my final marks back today, I finished with an 87.7 average, second overall in the class.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Dimman (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #23593
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
I'm at the dealer getting my car serviced. It's going to take 2 hrs what to do ?
Also asked about my fuel pump getting replaced and they said it would be a 6 hr wait for them to inspect it. Fuck.
Test drive an FRS?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
sklimo (04-25-2014), ZOMFGAARON (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #23594
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I fear the size of the diaphragm that would be required to be able to combat the forces on a wheel would be prohibitively large.

I envisioned what your were talking about being implemented with hydraulics originally. My guess is that at those tubing lengths the compressibility of a gas would slow the reactions too much. Pneumatic controls work well in high capacitive system because the system doesn't change fast enough for the slow reaction time of the control signals to matter. (in fact if you know what you're doing you can use that damping) Controlling a ships shaft speed with pneumatic controls works because the flywheel effect of the five or six tons or rotating shafts and gears makes that system very slow to react. Even driving 15,000 hp though the system and having the prop come out of the water,(HUGE change in resistance) pneumatics can respond fast enough to keep the shaft from over speeding. But reacting to the tiny motions and relatively fast speed of a suspension isn't something I'd want to tune with pneumatics.

Now the non-compressible nature of hydraulics, the efficiency of power transmission through the fluid, and the speed of sound in it should work well with distances.

I got my final marks back today, I finished with an 87.7 average, second overall in the class.
Yeah, I meant most of the programming is similar. Shocks are hydraulic, but we have vacuum (pneumatics, sort of) available on a car to do stuff with. I've got to go a bit deeper into both to grasp things better...

Oh, order and read this book, Calum.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0760331405?pc_redir=1398328309&robot_redir=1"]Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible (Motorbooks Workshop):Amazon:Books[/ame]

With your hydraulics background you should be able to get more out of it than me. And maybe design some killer shocks after.

Because titanium.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #23595
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Welp,I'm a moron.
The tires were fine when I got to the car, when I got home,I realized one of the tires was flat. Stinkin' trucks losing their loads on the freeway...
Was scary as fuck though, when going on an on ramp 3 stories tall, the car kept moving side to side.

Also,had a job interview today.
Was really happy and the owners of the store were the ones holding the interview. They kept looking at me the most, I was the best dressed and made them laugh a lot. Here's hoping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyFRZ For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-25-2014), M-17 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #23596
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Yeah, I meant most of the programming is similar. Shocks are hydraulic, but we have vacuum (pneumatics, sort of) available on a car to do stuff with. I've got to go a bit deeper into both to grasp things better...

Oh, order and read this book, Calum.

Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible (Motorbooks Workshop):Amazon:Books

With your hydraulics background you should be able to get more out of it than me. And maybe design some killer shocks after.
After the courses I just finished, I want to shoot myself for wanting to buy that. The first page of text shows an impulse input into a control system...

Got any more books like that one, if I group them I can get free shipping.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #23597
Eg0

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S AT - Asphalt
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It's hot as hell in the desert. Who would've thought?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #23598
ProTekk

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Hey guys, please don't hate me. I love my FR-S as anyone who has met me from these forums knows but I'm moving on. Things are starting to progress in my personal life and my 86 isn't the most practical car. Anyways, I just put a deposit down for a 2015 WRX STI launch edition! I'm going to be losing my ass on the 86 but I guess I have to chalk it up to one of those life lessons learned the hard way. I'll be putting the FR-S back to stock so if anyone wants some aftermarket parts give me a shout!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #23599
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
After the courses I just finished, I want to shoot myself for wanting to buy that. The first page of text shows an impulse input into a control system...

Got any more books like that one, if I group them I can get free shipping.
[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/185960644X"]Competition Car Suspension: Design, Construction, Tuning:Amazon:Books[/ame]

Actually, the whole 'Competition Car' series that this one is from is pretty good.

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #23600
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTekk View Post
Hey guys, please don't hate me. I love my FR-S as anyone who has met me from these forums knows but I'm moving on. Things are starting to progress in my personal life and my 86 isn't the most practical car. Anyways, I just put a deposit down for a 2015 WRX STI launch edition! I'm going to be losing my ass on the 86 but I guess I have to chalk it up to one of those life lessons learned the hard way. I'll be putting the FR-S back to stock so if anyone wants some aftermarket parts give me a shout!

Are you willing to ship parts?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #23601
ProTekk

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
Are you willing to ship parts?
Yupp. Everything is going minus wheels/tires.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #23602
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
omg I thought this thread had died lol!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
M-17 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #23603
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
WHOAz.

Welcome back. For now.
I still lurk every once and a while. Ever time some one close gets an FRS/BRZ I come back around and lurk. I hate it.. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Migrated... but still lurk from time to time.
Migrated?! How could you disrespect the BRZerhood?

...yeah I lurk the VW forums now as well...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (04-29-2014), M-17 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #23604
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Pulling together ideas for costuming for comic-con season really makes me wish I had artistic talents.
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?