follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #183
omegared19

Drives: White 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
I can answer one of your questions. I replaced cigarette lighter port in the armrest console with this extension cable that has both USB and 3.5mm auxiliary plugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAIEAUM

It has a 3 foot cable, which was enough to reach to the back of the Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 head unit. This is where I have my USB flashdrive plugged in.
Funny you should show this. I found the exact same thing I put into my wish list on Amazon as I went down an accessory rabbit hole last night.
omegared19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omegared19 For This Useful Post:
Nails (02-24-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #184
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
I can answer one of your questions. I replaced the cigarette lighter port in the armrest console with this extension cable that has both USB and 3.5mm auxiliary plugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAIEAUM

It has a 3 foot cable, which was enough to reach to the back of the Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 head unit. This is where I have my USB flashdrive plugged in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
Funny you should show this. I found the exact same thing I put into my wish list on Amazon as I went down an accessory rabbit hole last night.
If you connect this cigarette lighter USB/aux adapter to the head unit, what do you do with the OEM USB/aux connectors in the center console below the radio? Are they no longer connected?

I ask because after having the AVH-ZL5150 for some time now, I realize how annoying it is to not have wireless CarPlay. I was hoping to find some way to run something like this USB/aux adapter to the cigarette lighter in the glove box and connect a wireless CarPlay adapter. I would like to retain functionality of the OEM aux port and still be able to use the OEM USB plug for power, but I am not sure if this is possible.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #185
Nails

Drives: 2016 FR-S (Halo MT)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
If you connect this cigarette lighter USB/aux adapter to the head unit, what do you do with the OEM USB/aux connectors in the center console below the radio? Are they no longer connected?

I ask because after having the AVH-ZL5150 for some time now, I realize how annoying it is to not have wireless CarPlay. I was hoping to find some way to run something like this USB/aux adapter to the cigarette lighter in the glove box and connect a wireless CarPlay adapter. I would like to retain functionality of the OEM aux port and still be able to use the OEM USB plug for power, but I am not sure if this is possible.
I ended up removing the OEM USB connector in the center dash after moving the USB port to the armrest console and I filled it with a blank plate. Here is different thread that shows what that looks like:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...6&postcount=10

Since the AVH-ZL5150 only has one USB connector at the back of the head unit, it didn't make sense to me to retain OEM location since it no longer functioned. Now, if you got a new head unit with two USB ports, you could do exactly what you want by having it go to both the stock location and the glovebox. I think I did some research on splitting one USB connection to two locations, but came to the conclusion that it was a bad idea.

For your situation, if you move the USB connection to the glovebox, you could add a USB charging adapter to the center armrest so that you could still charge your phone.
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nails For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #186
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
This is the blank part from toyota that supposedly fits the usb/aux spot.
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/...3952060B0.html

I have not tried but plan to when/if the head unit I want ever comes back in stock.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Mike_ZN6 (02-25-2022), Nails (02-25-2022), omegared19 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 12:12 PM   #187
omegared19

Drives: White 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
So in searching for the AVH-ZL5150BT, there's nothing for sale on places like Amazon/EBay, or anywhere domestically. I've found it in Australia and Malaysia. Does any one have any leads on where to buy? Or is there an updated model that'll have the same functionality?
omegared19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #188
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
So in searching for the AVH-ZL5150BT, there's nothing for sale on places like Amazon/EBay, or anywhere domestically. I've found it in Australia and Malaysia. Does any one have any leads on where to buy? Or is there an updated model that'll have the same functionality?

Here:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car

Personally, I would stay away from Pioneer head units right now since they were bought out by a Chinese company a few years ago.

Fortunately, the one I purchased last year was manufactured prior to the buy out and was still made in Japan.

It may be a better idea to see what Sony, Kenwood Ecxelon or Alpine may have to offer until we hear about the quality of the new geration of Pioneer units.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (02-26-2022), sato (08-05-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 06:59 PM   #189
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Here:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car

Personally, I would stay away from Pioneer head units right now since they were bought out by a Chinese company a few years ago.

Fortunately, the one I purchased last year was manufactured prior to the buy out and was still made in Japan.

It may be a better idea to see what Sony, Kenwood Ecxelon or Alpine may have to offer until we hear about the quality of the new geration of Pioneer units.

The reason people want this head unit is the 200mm form factor. There are very limited options in this size. I don't think Sony or Alpine offer anything in 200mm. Kenwood has a few units, but they are designed for RHD markets and the buttons are on the wrong side.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #190
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
2022 bump! Still have the head unit in my car, still love it.

I updated the OP as AHH (AutoHarnessHouse) has updated the website to include a 2016-2017 Canadian BRZ specific harness on their direct-wire harness product page to alleviate the possibility of ordering an incorrect harness. This is because Canadian cars kept the original FujitsuTen Nav until 2017, whereas American BRZs got the newer Starlink unit from 2016 onwards.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:38 PM   #191
jredders

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Does your AHH harness have the steering wheel controls on an 8 pin harness, where only 5 wires are connected?

If so, this is because AHH provides that small 8 pin harness for PNP operation with a Maestro SW (which you won’t need with your pioneer harness).

Wire up your pioneer harness like so, based on that 8 pin harness:
Pin 21 - SW1 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 22 - SW2 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 23 - SW Ground on the Pioneer harness
I finally bought a used one of these radios off eBay for my 2017 BRZ and I have everything but the steering wheel controls working using the AHH harness. What is this Pioneer harness that you're talking about? Is it a 3.5mm plug with labeled wires or something else? The radio was originally in a Toyota, so I had to buy a new 28 pin harness. There was a 3.5mm plug wired into the Toyota one and I reused that plug and based my wiring off your pictures and how it was wired on the Toyota, but the radio has the SWC menu grayed out.

Edit:
I did some more hunting and found what I needed, so I can hopefully fix this tomorrow:
Pin 21 - SW1 = Tip of 3.5 mm plug
Pin 22 - SW2 = Ring of 3.5 mm plug
Pin 23 - SW Ground = Sleeve of 3.5 mm plug

Edit 2:
Nope, no go. When I first power up the receiver after installing and re-connecting the battery, I see the Steering Wheel Controls menu item and can go into it, but none of the buttons will learn. After that, it's grayed out. I've tried soldering the cable a couple of times. It tones out just fine on my multi-meter, so assuming the above is the correct wiring, I'm stumped why it doesn't work.

Last edited by jredders; 04-17-2023 at 10:21 PM.
jredders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 10:29 PM   #192
jredders

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I also picked up a CD-MC20 AutoEQ mic off eBay. After running the auto-eq, is it normal for the rear speakers to be set to -21/22 dB while the fronts are -1/-2? This is with the Front Left setting enabled. It basically kills what little base is available (I have no Subwoofer) by only using the front speakers. Also, going much over 18-19 on the volume sounds like it's clipping the AMP to the front speakers. Android Auto is so nice, but I'm starting to question the whole purchase otherwise.
jredders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 02:37 PM   #193
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredders View Post
I also picked up a CD-MC20 AutoEQ mic off eBay. After running the auto-eq, is it normal for the rear speakers to be set to -21/22 dB while the fronts are -1/-2? This is with the Front Left setting enabled. It basically kills what little base is available (I have no Subwoofer) by only using the front speakers. Also, going much over 18-19 on the volume sounds like it's clipping the AMP to the front speakers. Android Auto is so nice, but I'm starting to question the whole purchase otherwise.

Okay, we need to back up and get a little more information from you. Do you have a build thread of your system? If you do, can you post the link to the thread and I'll go over it with you to see if we can figure this out.

I'm suspecting that you just need to adjust the gains on your amp(s).
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #194
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredders View Post
I finally bought a used one of these radios off eBay for my 2017 BRZ and I have everything but the steering wheel controls working using the AHH harness. What is this Pioneer harness that you're talking about? Is it a 3.5mm plug with labeled wires or something else? The radio was originally in a Toyota, so I had to buy a new 28 pin harness. There was a 3.5mm plug wired into the Toyota one and I reused that plug and based my wiring off your pictures and how it was wired on the Toyota, but the radio has the SWC menu grayed out.

Edit:
I did some more hunting and found what I needed, so I can hopefully fix this tomorrow:
Pin 21 - SW1 = Tip of 3.5 mm plug
Pin 22 - SW2 = Ring of 3.5 mm plug
Pin 23 - SW Ground = Sleeve of 3.5 mm plug

Edit 2:
Nope, no go. When I first power up the receiver after installing and re-connecting the battery, I see the Steering Wheel Controls menu item and can go into it, but none of the buttons will learn. After that, it's grayed out. I've tried soldering the cable a couple of times. It tones out just fine on my multi-meter, so assuming the above is the correct wiring, I'm stumped why it doesn't work.
The pins and wiring look to be correct - I remember the SWC menu being fairly funky for mapping, IIRC you may need to have the car stopped with the ebrake up in order to actually adjust them - but I can take a look at my car later today and update you.