follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #183
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys, here is my question regarding headlights:

I have a 2013 FRS I am restoring. I purchased a 2013 Series 10 front clip (without knowing it) and was pleasantly surprised to have it with perfect condition lights. I am installing these on the 2013 car (along with the foglights) and have already repinned the 6/8 pin connectors. The headlights work, the DRL turns on the led strips, and headlights turn on as they should ( I think?). I have seen multiple threads mention tapping the #6 white wire into the green resistor box wire.. when this is done, am I just literally running a wire between the resistor box to the pin 6 wire? Do I need to splice it in or do I need to remove to original source for ths pin and feed in just the green resistor box wire?

Also, I see that there is also a 3-pin triangular connector on the back of the light.. what is this plug supposed to do? i can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Ideally, I think I want the led running light to turn OFF when the headlights are on and only be on when the DRL's are on, is this resistor box green wire supposed to accomplish this? Or do I need to set up a relay to get this accomplished?

I think for the foglights I am all set, I just need to get the factory switch and get those wired in separately.

Thanks for any help in advance.
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #184
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
Hey guys, here is my question regarding headlights:

I have a 2013 FRS I am restoring. I purchased a 2013 Series 10 front clip (without knowing it) and was pleasantly surprised to have it with perfect condition lights. I am installing these on the 2013 car (along with the foglights) and have already repinned the 6/8 pin connectors. The headlights work, the DRL turns on the led strips, and headlights turn on as they should ( I think?). I have seen multiple threads mention tapping the #6 white wire into the green resistor box wire.. when this is done, am I just literally running a wire between the resistor box to the pin 6 wire? Do I need to splice it in or do I need to remove to original source for ths pin and feed in just the green resistor box wire?

Also, I see that there is also a 3-pin triangular connector on the back of the light.. what is this plug supposed to do? i can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Ideally, I think I want the led running light to turn OFF when the headlights are on and only be on when the DRL's are on, is this resistor box green wire supposed to accomplish this? Or do I need to set up a relay to get this accomplished?

I think for the foglights I am all set, I just need to get the factory switch and get those wired in separately.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Remove the DRL resistor all together and just splice into the green power wire. Run directly to DRL+ pin on the headlight. This is the easy way out. However, your High Beam Deflector will always be triggered during DRL mode.

The better way is to splice into HiBeam Power upstream of the headlight into the DRL+ pin. You can read about it here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135275

In both cases, you should have one unused wire (Parking Power).

----

The 3 pin connector is for the HID leveler.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
aemravan (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #185
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Remove the DRL resistor all together and just splice into the green power wire. Run directly to DRL+ pin on the headlight. This is the easy way out. However, your High Beam Deflector will always be triggered during DRL mode.

The better way is to splice into HiBeam Power upstream of the headlight into the DRL+ pin. You can read about it here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135275

In both cases, you should have one unused wire (Parking Power).

----

The 3 pin connector is for the HID leveler.
Thank you for the response, just want to clarify a couple of things really quick:

-to "properly" get it wired in, the DRL relay and diode is something additional that needs to wire into the car, correct?
-the LED power will come up-stream from the Hi Beam+
-the green resistor wire will trigger the relay which will trigger the LED bar as a running light.
-the led running light will turn off via relay when the regular lights come on
-the led bar will come on along with the high beams as well.

is all of the above that I am getting at correct??

And one last question.. regarding the 3-pin leveling connector.. the base model obviously doesn't have this plug readily available to plug into the light...is that correct?? I thought it was there, but it turned out to be the turn signal connector which happens to be exactly the same.. I have a harness from the series 10 front clip that the lights came off of, so I'm sure I can get the connectors, so is this something that also needs to be wired up or is this something that can just be left unplugged?
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #186
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
Thank you for the response, just want to clarify a couple of things really quick:

-to "properly" get it wired in, the DRL relay and diode is something additional that needs to wire into the car, correct?
-the LED power will come up-stream from the Hi Beam+
-the green resistor wire will trigger the relay which will trigger the LED bar as a running light.
-the led running light will turn off via relay when the regular lights come on
-the led bar will come on along with the high beams as well.

is all of the above that I am getting at correct??

And one last question.. regarding the 3-pin leveling connector.. the base model obviously doesn't have this plug readily available to plug into the light...is that correct?? I thought it was there, but it turned out to be the turn signal connector which happens to be exactly the same.. I have a harness from the series 10 front clip that the lights came off of, so I'm sure I can get the connectors, so is this something that also needs to be wired up or is this something that can just be left unplugged?
No. All you need is:
  1. A wire splice from HiBeam 12V Power to DRL+ Pin
  2. To remove the DRL Resistor
If you do this, as you mentioned, DRL will work like from factory and come on with HiBeams. You don't have to do anything with the Resistor circuit other than remove the DRL Resistor itself. You don't need a relay or diode at all unless want to install an always-on module.

No, the base model doesn't have an HID leveler. It's not just a connector, it's a whole assembly with a sensor. It's a nice to have (keeps the lights from bouncing too much and getting in the way of other drivers), but not required. Just make sure your lights are pointed properly
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
aemravan (07-09-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #187
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone,

I have a 2019 86 with full LED headlights. I was wondering if theres a way to keep the DRL Bar illuminated while the blinker is on. Right now the DRL will turn off when I turn on the blinker on each side. I also think it only does this when the low beams are off.
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #188
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I have a 2013 10 series and am installing baja designs squadron pro foglight and I have a eudm stalk coming to run them. My question is what oem parts can I get to make it as plug'n'play as possible? It looks like the fuse block is prewired. How much of the car is set up to run foglights?
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #189
MasterBandit

Drives: Scion 2015 FR-S
Halo

Hello everyone,

I bought a FRS 2015 and it already had switchback halos installed on it. When I signal to the left, my halo switches to amber. The halo on the right side does not change color at all.

Is it possibly a wiring issue or the bulb is out?
MasterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #190
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBandit View Post
Hello everyone,

I bought a FRS 2015 and it already had switchback halos installed on it. When I signal to the left, my halo switches to amber. The halo on the right side does not change color at all.

Is it possibly a wiring issue or the bulb is out?
Could be either but if it's staying on I might lean towards wiring.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #191
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter X View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 2019 86 with full LED headlights. I was wondering if theres a way to keep the DRL Bar illuminated while the blinker is on. Right now the DRL will turn off when I turn on the blinker on each side. I also think it only does this when the low beams are off.
Yeah it's a DOT rule
https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-moder...hen-1792394567

Not sure if you can rewire it?

Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #192
mintyfresh
LA Bron

Drives: ‘15 WRB BRZ
Hey guys, I just bought 2017 BRZ lights for my 2015 BRZ..
How many things do I have to adjust?
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #193
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
Hey guys, I just bought 2017 BRZ lights for my 2015 BRZ..
How many things do I have to adjust?
It may be plug and play. Take a picture of the connector on the back of the headlight

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeresMyMind For This Useful Post:
mintyfresh (12-14-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #194
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
Yeah it's a DOT rule
https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-moder...hen-1792394567

Not sure if you can rewire it?

Diode dynamics should make an always on harness for it

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:33 AM   #195
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got a headlight or foglight question? ASK here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
Diode dynamics should make an always on harness for it

-B

I checked their page and it's only up to 2016 models. I also DM'd them on IG and yeah they don't have anything for the 2017+ headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Drifter X; 12-13-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #196
mintyfresh
LA Bron

Drives: ‘15 WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
It may be plug and play. Take a picture of the connector on the back of the headlight

-B
https://imgur.com/a/dNukAr1
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote