follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #15
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rek07 View Post
Makes sense, I didn't think that through properly.

Considering wheel speed is about 18 revolutions per second, I would say that it is closer to that than 72 revolutions per second (driveshaft speed).
You got it. I'll defer to the other guys regarding alignment & wheels.

Here's what I would never recommend doing. I would never lift the rear end on jack stands and idle the engine with it in gear.

Then I would definitely recommend against watching and feeling for wobble and uneven wear in the wheels/tires.

Don't do that.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #16
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

At some point I will put the stock wheels back on to completely eliminate the wheels/tires as the root cause.
I would always start with this. Or even rotate front to back, see if the vibration moves to the steering wheel.
Just because it was balanced, doesn't mean it was balanced, if you follow.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
D-rek07 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
How do warped rotors play a roll unless you're braking?
Because with disc brakes there is usually some amount of friction between rotor and pad whether you are braking or not. You might not feel it at lower speeds, or unless you are actually braking, but at 80+ mph it might be felt.

This is probably not the cause of vibration, but if you rule out everything else, it's worth considering.

Without inspecting the vehicle or knowing more details, it's gonna be tough to figure this out, so I'm just throwing out ideas that haven't been mentioned yet.

EDIT: Your hubcentric rings could also be the cause. Are they plastic or metal? You said you track your car, it's usually not advised to track a car with plastic hubcentric rings. They expand and can melt with the heat so this alone could be the cause of the issue. Hell, even metal rings can have this problem. They can expand/contrast/warp/etc etc. It's worth removing them and making sure you center your wheel correctly with the lug nuts and then seeing if the vibration is gone.

As long as your using the correct lug nuts, you really don't need the rings.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:37 AM   #18
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Because with disc brakes there is usually some amount of friction between rotor and pad whether you are braking or not. You might not feel it at lower speeds, or unless you are actually braking, but at 80+ mph it might be felt.

This is probably not the cause of vibration, but if you rule out everything else, it's worth considering.

Without inspecting the vehicle or knowing more details, it's gonna be tough to figure this out, so I'm just throwing out ideas that haven't been mentioned yet.

EDIT: Your hubcentric rings could also be the cause. Are they plastic or metal? You said you track your car, it's usually not advised to track a car with plastic hubcentric rings. They expand and can melt with the heat so this alone could be the cause of the issue. Hell, even metal rings can have this problem. They can expand/contrast/warp/etc etc. It's worth removing them and making sure you center your wheel correctly with the lug nuts and then seeing if the vibration is gone.

They are aluminum. If I try the stock wheels and it goes away, I’ll add this to the list of things to check.
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-rek07 For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 01:39 AM   #19
D-rek07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You got it. I'll defer to the other guys regarding alignment & wheels.

Here's what I would never recommend doing. I would never lift the rear end on jack stands and idle the engine with it in gear.

Then I would definitely recommend against watching and feeling for wobble and uneven wear in the wheels/tires.

Don't do that.
Definitely have never done that. I’ll make sure to avoid that. That would be terrible if I accidentally do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-rek07 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (08-30-2018), Ultramaroon (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I beg to differ.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #21
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
I beg to differ.

I'm not here to argue with you, but there are lots of people all over the internet who back up my claims.

We'll start with our own forum:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23877

and now we'll move onto others;

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...y/13593/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...m/85470/page1/

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=336496

a guy in this thread had the rings fuse to his wheels:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1522131

Now, i'm not trying to say you shouldn't run them. That's totally your choice. But they are really only used to center the wheel on the hub when you tighten your lug nuts. Most aftermarket wheels are lugcentric, so as long as your using the correct lug nuts and you installed the wheel correctly, you shouldn't have any issues.

We are trying to diagnose a vibration issue, so I suggested something that other people have had issues with in the past.

I don't have any on my car, and it drives smooth as butter at 100+ mph.

So you can beg to differ all you want, but nobody else suggested it so I did. It's easy enough to check and see if the rings are causing the problem.

He tracks his car so his metal rings could of very well fused to his wheels, and might be creating a small amount of friction with the wheel/hub that is only noticeable at higher speeds.

OP: Please keep us updated! I'm curious to what is actually causing the vibration.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #22
D-rek07

Quote:
He tracks his car so his metal rings could of very well fused to his wheels, and might be creating a small amount of friction with the wheel/hub that is only noticeable at higher speeds.

OP: Please keep us updated! I'm curious to what is actually causing the vibration.
They're not fused to the wheels. Last time I rotated my tires, they fell out. Obviously, I put them back in.
JeremyR (08-30-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #23
D-rek07

Weekend synopsis.

Definition;
Original condition: Aftermarket wheels in the orientation that was causing the original vibration.

Action 1: Jacked up car and made sure aftermarket wheels were seated properly. No abnormal wobble was observed when wheels were rotated.

Action 2: Put stock wheels back on. Drove it up to 85mph. Smooth as butter.

Action 3: Put aftermarket wheels on except put back wheels on front and front wheels on back. If the rear wheels were out of balance, the vibration would migrate to the steering wheel. Vibration was much less than original condition, almost entirely gone. There was still a decent amount of vibration above 90mph.

Action 4: Rotated wheels again, back to original condition. Vibration was the same as after Action 3. Vibration did not migrate, wasn't as bad as original condition, and decent vibration above 90mph.

Hypothesis: I don't think its the wheels, given the above conditions. Would the wider wheels and tires amplify an issue with alignment? Since the stock wheels showed no vibration, maybe the alignment isn't that bad but with the wider wheels and tires maybe I'm able to observe it better?

Any other thoughts? Might try different hub rings.
Clipdat (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #24
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I run MPSS on 17x9 with the same problem. Alignment is spot on but unlike you I haven't had my wheels balanced.

Is there play in your hood? My hood moves a bit and I'm thinking that may be contributing to it but not sure.
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #25
D-rek07

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetsdownlow View Post
I run MPSS on 17x9 with the same problem. Alignment is spot on but unlike you I haven't had my wheels balanced.

Is there play in your hood? My hood moves a bit and I'm thinking that may be contributing to it but not sure.
No play in my hood
Old 09-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #26
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sounds like the vibration follows the vehicle speed and not the engine speed...?
If so, your engine should be fine. Everything after the engine (clutch, transmission, drive shaft, etc..) could be the reason. Seems like some imbalance somewhere is coincident with the resonance. Since the OEM wheels are smooth as butter, maybe it's your aftermarket wheels/tires/spacers.
Anyway, unless the aftermarket parts are from a top tier OEM supplier with high Quality Control standards, ALWAYS stick with OEM.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #27
D-rek07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
Sounds like the vibration follows the vehicle speed and not the engine speed...?
If so, your engine should be fine. Everything after the engine (clutch, transmission, drive shaft, etc..) could be the reason. Seems like some imbalance somewhere is coincident with the resonance. Since the OEM wheels are smooth as butter, maybe it's your aftermarket wheels/tires/spacers.
Anyway, unless the aftermarket parts are from a top tier OEM supplier with high Quality Control standards, ALWAYS stick with OEM.
Wheels are Gramlights, tires are Michelin PSS, hubcentric rings are Muteki. Muteki is the only brand I don't know. Gramlights aren't an OEM supplier but definitely a top tier manufacturer. This also has started recently and haven't smacked the wheels at all to throw them out of shape.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #28
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Wheels are Gramlights, tires are Michelin PSS, hubcentric rings are Muteki. Muteki is the only brand I don't know. Gramlights aren't an OEM supplier but definitely a top tier manufacturer. This also has started recently and haven't smacked the wheels at all to throw them out of shape.
Who mounted & balanced the wheels? You may have already done this, but have you tried a different shop for re-balancing? I know for one that the Belle Tires near us doesn't do very high speeds
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote