follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Styx

Drives: Red '12 GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Automatic transmission problem

Okay first of all the car has a Sprintex stage two on and then normal headers with de-cat and then just a normal cat-back exhaust.It has a stage 2 flash from delicous tuning and we have swapped 3 diffrent tunes so we know it is not the tunes.

Now the problem is when i give it the beans,the car seems to select the next gear but doesn't engage it almost like a manual has it's clutch in and revving it.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Z5fGqvOrmjY[/ame]
Styx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
Stock trans? Looks like its got clutch slippage.

Edit: never mind, im clueless......if it was clutches slipping your rpm would still go up......yours seems to get stuck.....perhaps torque converter is locking?

Last edited by WHITE; 06-30-2015 at 05:42 PM.
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE View Post
Stock trans? Looks like its got clutch slippage.

Edit: never mind, im clueless......if it was clutches slipping your rpm would still go up......yours seems to get stuck.....perhaps torque converter is locking?
Agreed. High torque loads on the clutch will cause this. That's why the invented sport clutches.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
1. Check your fluid level
2. Does it do it cold or hot or both?
3. Does it do it in manual or auto mode or both?

If it's engaging the next gear but slow to "take up" it's probably a clutch/plate issue in the oil pump or a sticky solenoid in the valve body.
I'm guessing but that's where I'd start.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Okay first of all the car has a Sprintex stage two on and then normal headers with de-cat and then just a normal cat-back exhaust.It has a stage 2 flash from delicous tuning and we have swapped 3 diffrent tunes so we know it is not the tunes.

Now the problem is when i give it the beans,the car seems to select the next gear but doesn't engage it almost like a manual has it's clutch in and revving it.
My A/T did this with an SBD turbo on only 7 lbs of boost. That's why I sold the turbo. I'm working on a way to rear-mount a used stock Garrett off an R34 Skyline GTR. It's one of those with ceramic blades that people hate because it starts to break blades over 14 PSI. I picked up 2 of them for $50 each. I want to adapt a muffler delete into the turbo hotside inlet, a tailpipe onto the hotside outlet, a cone filter and adapter on the coldside inlet, and a finned tube going to the front into a Phantom electric supercharger. This will give instant boost, yet when the Phantom peaks and starts to drop off, the rear-mounted turbo will fill in. Best of all, this can all be installed on a stock exhaust with all cats installed, so it will still pass DEQ.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I called that symptom, "all-gears mode" when I had my turbo. It seems to only happen under boost. I couldn't shift up or down with the paddles or the floor shift until I let off the gas. This is why I signed up for the Phantom. The boost is only temporary, and it's much lower. I think the transmission has some kind of torque limiter in the shift controller. That's just the kind of thing that makes me want to crack the code and reprogram it.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Kris @SSP has been seeing a lot of A/T failures lately under boost. The bad part is that some of the failing parts aren't available anywhere but from a donor tranny. I have his stage 2 valve body and cooler installed. The clutch plate kit is sitting here ready for when those start to slip. I would ping Kris to see if he has any ideas.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 AM   #8
Styx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post

If it's engaging the next gear but slow to "take up" it's probably a clutch/plate issue in the oil pump or a sticky solenoid in the valve body.
I'm guessing but that's where I'd start.
We already changed the oil 2 times. We think it is electrical but as you suggest it can be a sticky solenoid in the valve body but , wouldnt toyota pick up on that when it was there for the trans problem? It happens very slightly when cold but when hot, it is as aggressive as in the video. And yes it is a stock tranny
Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
onzippy

Drives: 2014 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post

Thought I broke an axle first time it happened to me (cause I just read the broken axle thread.) but the free revving, no power is the same feeling when I hit the rev limiter.

I've got FI AT also and it just doesn't shift as fast as we'd all like I bet. In manual mode, shifting a little sooner and I avoid it. In Auto mode the ECU doesn't make the same mistakes I do when up-shifting.

Styx, You see the same thing when in 'D' ?

----------------------
“The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power station – I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’”

----------------------

Last edited by onzippy; 07-03-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Add something funny.
onzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onzippy For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-17-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
Styx

Quote:
Originally Posted by onzippy View Post
Thought I broke an axle first time it happened to me (cause I just read the broken axle thread.) but the free revving, no power is the same feeling when I hit the rev limiter.

I've got FI AT also and it just doesn't shift as fast as we'd all like I bet. In manual mode, shifting a little sooner and I avoid it. In Auto mode the ECU doesn't make the same mistakes I do when up-shifting.

Styx, You see the same thing when in 'D' ?

----------------------
“The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power station – I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’”

----------------------
It happens in D and in manual mode and it happens only in wot, when in manual or in D between 3 and 4000rpm it shifts fast without any problem
Old 07-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
I wish I could drive the car to see what it feels like its doing. I really think its something torque converter related though. Just seems from the video that when you shift gear it wants to accelerate but its being loaded down by something cuasing rpm to remain stationary, but then when you lift and re apply throttle the load goes away and it accelerates like normal then.

This is just from what I'm seeing and hearing though, its hard to give definite diagnoses over the internet. Do you have any way to log or visual see what's going on via a tablet or something?
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
onzippy

Drives: 2014 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
It happens in D and in manual mode and it happens only in wot, when in manual or in D between 3 and 4000rpm it shifts fast without any problem
So if you stay between 3-4k and do WOT shifts does it still slip?

Just trying to get idea if it's only high RPM and WOT = slip.

I dyno'd 250whp on 93 but now with e85 and cranked up boost I don't even know how much power's there but I haven't had any problems except kissing the rev limiter like I said. knock wood..
onzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:18 AM   #13
Styx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE View Post
I wish I could drive the car to see what it feels like its doing. I really think its something torque converter related though. Just seems from the video that when you shift gear it wants to accelerate but its being loaded down by something cuasing rpm to remain stationary, but then when you lift and re apply throttle the load goes away and it accelerates like normal then.

This is just from what I'm seeing and hearing though, its hard to give definite diagnoses over the internet. Do you have any way to log or visual see what's going on via a tablet or something?
We keep our foot planted in the video we never take it off it just engages when it wants too.i do have logs with ecutec software but that is at the guy that does my reflashes.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:20 AM   #14
Styx

Quote:
Originally Posted by onzippy View Post
So if you stay between 3-4k and do WOT shifts does it still slip?

Just trying to get idea if it's only high RPM and WOT = slip.

I dyno'd 250whp on 93 but now with e85 and cranked up boost I don't even know how much power's there but I haven't had any problems except kissing the rev limiter like I said. knock wood..
Normal 3 to 4k driving it doesnt happen only when in wot and in high rpm it does that. The car only puts 158kw too the wheels so i dnt know why its giving us this crap