follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Whoaaaa there. I don't know about all that. Installing a 4-link in anything is not something a parts changer should tackle without help from a seasoned body guy who knows how to fabricate and weld. Contrary to popular belief, a 4-link will never bolt right in. There will be cutting and shimming. Also, a shade tree mechanic probably won't be cutting the floor for subframe connectors.

Oh, and a DSE front subframe starts at $6,500 dollars with basic nonadjustable shocks. The Quadralink starts at $3,000 with basic shocks and before even thinking about a 9". Detroit Speed suspension stuff is top of the game in the pro-touring world. Might not be handfabbed unobtanium, but it might as well be for the money.

On the other hand, this is a car local to me that actually was built by a shade tree mechanic. Warmed up small block with a TKO, multileafs and Panhard in the rear, springs and control arms in the front, shocks all around, seats, American Racing T70Rs, and an NJMP Thunderbolt tech sticker. Because racecar.
First off, were four of the same exact photos really necessary? It is a pretty sick car though.

I've known plenty of "shadetree" mechanics that can install a 4-link within a few days. Just because they might be classified as a "shadetree" mechanic does not mean they can't cut, weld, or shim.
Wes B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes B. View Post
First off, were four of the same exact photos really necessary? It is a pretty sick car though.

I've known plenty of "shadetree" mechanics that can install a 4-link within a few days. Just because they might be classified as a "shadetree" mechanic does not mean they can't cut, weld, or shim.
They weren't. I only wanted to post one, but every time I posted the link into the img tool, nothing showed up. For some reason I couldn't see the other 3 links when I went to edit them out.

Your and my definition of shadetree mechanic differs. Shadetree mechanics, in my mind, do not have the skills to work professionally. If they have those skills, what separates them from the folks at DSE who build these things for a living, besides job title?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Quote:
They weren't. I only wanted to post one, but every time I posted the link into the img tool, nothing showed up. For some reason I couldn't see the other 3 links when I went to edit them out.

Your and my definition of shadetree mechanic differs. Shadetree mechanics, in my mind, do not have the skills to work professionally. If they have those skills, what separates them from the folks at DSE who build these things for a living, besides job title?
A different career separates them from the folks at DSE. The guys who I work with on certain projects all have other careers (as do I), but we all love working on cars whether it be swapping engines, transmissions, solid axles or extensively modifying and hot-rodding.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Quote:
A different career separates them from the folks at DSE. The guys who I work with on certain projects all have other careers (as do I), but we all love working on cars whether it be swapping engines, transmissions, solid axles or extensively modifying and hot-rodding.
So, like I said. Job title.

This is about as crazy as I'll get under the shade of this tree. That bolts back in. Welding and fabbing is where I draw the line.

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 12-08-2012 at 11:53 AM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
I have to admit, that's pretty sweet. Simple and clean with attention to detail.

And @LSxJunkie , welding and fabrication is now possible for "shade tree mechanics."
Who now work from garages.
I laugh but it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I have to admit, that's pretty sweet. Simple and clean with attention to detail.

And @LSxJunkie , welding and fabrication is now possible for "shade tree mechanics."
Who now work from garages.
I laugh but it's true.
Honestly, the only reason why this Mustang is such a hit is because of it's natural simplicity and insane attention to detail.

Indeed, it is! That's why I have a welder in my garage.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #21
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Honestly, the only reason why this Mustang is such a hit is because of it's natural simplicity and insane attention to detail.

Wouldn't exactly call that motor 'simple'...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #22
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Engine: Ford/Lotus 250 c.i. Quad Cam Indy Car V8 bored and stroked to 292 c.i. -- 426 hp @ 6,900 rpm and 300+ (max of 362) ft/lbs of torque from 3,000 thru 7,000 rpm.

I also love Martini livery.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
It's simple compared to a lot of the engines we have nowadays.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #24
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
It's simple compared to a lot of the engines we have nowadays.
I believe, in the case of this motor, you are confusing the word 'simple' with the word 'epic'.

Look closely at the ITBs/velocity stacks. How does the intake porting run?

Because titanium.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Quote:

I wouldn't say only. Choice of motor (unconventional size, layout, heritage) is a big one. The suspension is par-for-course big dollar professional pro-touring build. DSE has pages of cars they've built like this, and just take a gander around Lateral-G.net to see more. The race-car design slant? The following car is less striking because of boring choice of motor (with awful intake design) and 69 Camaro. However, it's certainly a big enough hit to get a spot in Hot Rod.

"A welder and metal fabricator by trade, he constructed the rollcage, dash, and interior panels. Carefully studying the current hot setups in SCCA production racing, Scott designed and built a three-link suspension package to support the 9-inch Ford rearend."

Having professional tools and skills elevates you beyond shade tree, IMHO. This car was a garage build by a semi-pro.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Having professional tools and skills elevates you beyond shade tree, IMHO. This car was a garage build by a semi-pro.
The difference being a professional with tools versus just a guy with professional tools.

Quote:
Mechanically not so much. There was probably a good deal of work mechanically and especially fabbing the mounts for the subframe like LSXjunkie said. But compared to some cars these days it's incredibly simple, especially electronically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
The difference being a professional with tools versus just a guy with professional tools.

Mechanically not so much. There was probably a good deal of work mechanically and especially fabbing the mounts for the subframe like LSXjunkie said. But compared to some cars these days it's incredibly simple, especially electronically.
LSXjunkie pointed out the fabwork is not simple, and though putting in the motor may have been one of the less difficult things physically, I was/am pointing out that it is an old-timey motor with complex fueling (I'm assuming mechanical injection for the ITBs rather than carbs given the original application) and the fact that it has vertical intake ports. Awesome, yes. Simple, no. Plus finding one likely isn't a simple task either. Heh...

So nothing simple at all, really.

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (12-09-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Quote:
LSXjunkie pointed out the fabwork is not simple, and though putting in the motor may have been one of the less difficult things physically, I was/am pointing out that it is an old-timey motor with complex fueling (I'm assuming mechanical injection for the ITBs rather than carbs given the original application) and the fact that it has vertical intake ports. Awesome, yes. Simple, no. Plus finding one likely isn't a simple task either. Heh...

So nothing simple at all, really.
Eh, I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Tags
4 speed, indy car, kumho, mustang, v8 engine