follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #99
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Velox Motorsports Air Oil Separator - Information and Release

I think I got this rattle resolved. I didn't have any of the lines going to the aos tied down and I think the vibration in the line going to the pcv was causing it to rattle at certain rpm. That's the only explanation I can think of but once I tied everything down I haven't heard it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TruRace; 08-27-2017 at 08:33 PM.
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruRace For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (08-27-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #100
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just installed my AOS in the OEM/NA config.

After starting my car, I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. I'm assuming this isnt normal. What do I do?!

Stock PCV valve is installed on AOS.

Left Side: Intake manifold -> Inner Left (Stock PCV Valve installed on AOS) -> Outter Left -> Crankcase (supplied 1/2" nipple installed on crankcase)

Right Side: Nipple under the AC compressor -> Outter Right -> Inner Right -> Intake tube nipple

NOTE: I did accidentally install the AOS kit with both provided nipples. Meaning, I didn't install the stock PCV valve on the AOS. Is it possible I flooded my intake/engine with oil or something?! I noticed some oil on my exhaust tips as well. Where do I go from here?

Update: Reverted back to stock, and I still have smoke
ULTRA UPDATE:

Turns out I did flood my intake manifold with oil. I let the car sit and took it on the highway. Once I hit operating temps I just kept it in a lower gear to sit at 5k. Kept going up and down the highway just feathering the throttle keeping it at high rpms till I didn't see any more clouds of smoke behind me.

Sucks that I botched the install initially, but good thing I left the AOS and all that in there, reinstalling tomorrow when it's cooled off should be quick and easy.

Last edited by Jo0; 09-22-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #101
Jo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruRace View Post
I think I got this rattle resolved. I didn't have any of the lines going to the aos tied down and I think the vibration in the line going to the pcv was causing it to rattle at certain rpm. That's the only explanation I can think of but once I tied everything down I haven't heard it since.

I'm getting slight rattles as well. I've tightened all the button heads on the back of the AOS and tightened the bracket down. When I tap/bang on the top of the AOS I hear a rattle, but I can't pin point where it is. I'll give tying down the hoses a shot.

Update: Rattles normally happen off throttle or on idle for me. Sounds like some washers moving around, but everything was still tight when I rechecked after a trip to the gun range today.

Last edited by Jo0; 09-23-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #102
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Velox Motorsports Air Oil Separator - Information and Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
I'm getting slight rattles as well. I've tightened all the button heads on the back of the AOS and tightened the bracket down. When I tap/bang on the top of the AOS I hear a rattle, but I can't pin point where it is. I'll give tying down the hoses a shot.

Update: Rattles normally happen off throttle or on idle for me. Sounds like some washers moving around, but everything was still tight when I rechecked after a trip to the gun range today.

Mine hasn't gone away completely unfortunately. Tying down the hoses has helped a lot but it's still there. It only happens at idle when the car is cold, and eventually go away completely when warmed up. I'm pretty sure mine has something to do with the pcv.

TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #103
ReeceR34

Drives: 2014 whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Mine hasn't gone away completely unfortunately. Tying down the hoses has helped a lot but it's still there. It only happens at idle when the car is cold, and eventually go away completely when warmed up. I'm pretty sure mine has something to do with the pcv.

I have the same rattle as well noticeable from the cabin of my car.
Mine happens upon decel and sounds like brake lines tapping or something if I could describe the sound. Also the sound happens if I tap the aos enough to make it vibrate.
ReeceR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #104
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceR34 View Post
I have the same rattle as well noticeable from the cabin of my car.
Mine happens upon decel and sounds like brake lines tapping or something if I could describe the sound. Also the sound happens if I tap the aos enough to make it vibrate.
Could it be the PCV valve itself? It is a valve, with movable parts in it.

I used it on our shop car in NA config before going turbo and do not remember a noise but I also lived in a very hot climate and the valve was basically brand new.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #105
Jo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Could it be the PCV valve itself? It is a valve, with movable parts in it.

I used it on our shop car in NA config before going turbo and do not remember a noise but I also lived in a very hot climate and the valve was basically brand new.

Thanks,
Eric
Sounds plausible.

Also should I go ahead and clamp all the hoses down on the AOS, the hose at the intake manifold, and the house under the intake manifold?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #106
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
Sounds plausible.

Also should I go ahead and clamp all the hoses down on the AOS, the hose at the intake manifold, and the house under the intake manifold?
If your NA, it isn't necessary. There should be no pressure in any of these lines.

If your FI, the AOS is not pressurized enough to necessitate the use of clamps.

You're welcome to do so though, it won't hurt anything that is for sure.

Our shop car runs no clamps on any of the AOS pieces and hits 14 PSI almost daily.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #107
METAL_SU-37

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow
Garage
Just bought one of these, most important thing on my shopping list was the sticker!

For the longest while I was trying to find an AOS that had a good drain back location. I don't like Crawford's because they removed the clean air intake to the block for the PCV system, which basically continues to dump un-burnt contaminants into the engine without a "clean" source. (to my understanding)
but once I found the drain back I was sold.

I was also thinking about using KillerB's FA20 centrifugal AOS but i didn't want to have to modify stuff before install

Since my car is without any power adding components (for a good while)
I have read the install manual and I have once question for you. Would you recommend either plunging one side of (inlet and outlet) of the AOS, OR doubling up the filter process IE: split the pcv valve into both inlets and take both outlets and splice into the intake manifold hook up?
hopefully that makes sense.
METAL_SU-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #108
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Will this fit with the Edelbrok SC? It's an awesome looking piece of kit.
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #109
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL_SU-37 View Post
Just bought one of these, most important thing on my shopping list was the sticker!

For the longest while I was trying to find an AOS that had a good drain back location. I don't like Crawford's because they removed the clean air intake to the block for the PCV system, which basically continues to dump un-burnt contaminants into the engine without a "clean" source. (to my understanding)
but once I found the drain back I was sold.

I was also thinking about using KillerB's FA20 centrifugal AOS but i didn't want to have to modify stuff before install

Since my car is without any power adding components (for a good while)
I have read the install manual and I have once question for you. Would you recommend either plunging one side of (inlet and outlet) of the AOS, OR doubling up the filter process IE: split the pcv valve into both inlets and take both outlets and splice into the intake manifold hook up?
hopefully that makes sense.
I do not understand your question. Sorry I missed these questions, sometimes tapatalk does not update me when a post is made. Please e-mail us; sales@verus-engineering.com, for questions and we will get back to you quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman5 View Post
Will this fit with the Edelbrok SC? It's an awesome looking piece of kit.
Yes, we have it on multiple Edelbrock kits.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 07-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #110
cjopant

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
Yes, we have it on multiple Edelbrock kits.

cjopant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjopant For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #111
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopant View Post

Thank you sir! Hope you are enjoying it!
Old 04-08-2019, 02:01 AM   #112
dave-

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Has this been confirmed or updated to be suitable for RHD?

Can it be configured to vent to atmo? My car is track only and boosted, have found my current tiny mishimoto can with the outlet plumbed back to inlet infront of the turbo is sucking the oil out of the can?

The drain option would be really good too

Last edited by dave-; 04-08-2019 at 02:14 AM.
dave- is offline   Reply With Quote