follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD GT86/AERO Specifications

Hey guys,

I've been reading around the forums lately, I'm getting two different answers for my question. I'm looking to get a TRD GT86 Body Kit, but I live in the United States and TRD Body Kits are illegal to have from what I heard, but you can ship them out and put them on yourself.

Also, I heard you can't get them in the United States, but there's a US version of the TRD Kit, is it exactly the same model as the GT86 TRD Kit just renamed?

Also, I heard the kit wasn't a bolt on it was like glued on on both sides. I just wanted my answers to be clear.

If you have a TRD US Verison Body Kit can you please post your pictures, it would help me alot ot decided what to get.
1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Midarete

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1904 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been reading around the forums lately, I'm getting two different answers for my question. I'm looking to get a TRD GT86 Body Kit, but I live in the United States and TRD Body Kits are illegal to have from what I heard, but you can ship them out and put them on yourself.

Also, I heard you can't get them in the United States, but there's a US version of the TRD Kit, is it exactly the same model as the GT86 TRD Kit just renamed?

Also, I heard the kit wasn't a bolt on it was like glued on on both sides. I just wanted my answers to be clear.

If you have a TRD US Verison Body Kit can you please post your pictures, it would help me alot ot decided what to get.
You can totally get the Japan TRD parts its not illegal just cost a crap ton since it needs to be shipped from japan. Look for some vendors on the forum they sell them.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
T_Scott

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I would fire your informant. You can definitely get the kit! Just check some of the vendors out
Old 11-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #4

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
foreals though, so mad
1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Illegal? lol
Old 11-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
Noz

Drives: Ultramarine Blue FR-S
I think you're talking about the Euro Toyota aero kit, which is also know as the "Nur Spec" or "GTS" kit.

It is possible to get it out here and is not illegal. I currently have this kit on order through @nigel-jdmparts.

The TRD kit is different. Looks sorta similar, but not. Especially the rear. The TRD rear lip is made for quad tip exhaust.

Noz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
khan

Drives: FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz View Post
It is possible to get it out here and is not illegal. I currently have this kit on order through @nigel-jdmparts.
Nice. Mind if I ask how much it was? You can pm me too if you rather not publicly write it. Thanks.
khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1904 View Post
Hey guys,

Got mine thru Carson Toyota in LA area. Shipped all the parts to me. Got them painted and installed locally...they are a combination of tape and bolts. Ran $2-3 grand total for all the parts I think...been a year ago. Luis at Carson helped me with it. I've seen the same pieces on japanparts.com too. You might even be able to buy some of them painted in white, black or red, but don't quote me on that.

The US TRD body kit is "similar" to the JDM TRD kit but not the same at all. Right now the JDM kit is probably easier to get than the US kit since the ReleaseSeries 1.0 is brand new.

None of it is cheap, but it does make for a distinctive ride. To complete the look you'll need the TRD quad-tip exhaust.
Attached Images

Last edited by cfordart; 11-05-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: photos added
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
Noz

Drives: Ultramarine Blue FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordart View Post
Got mine thru Carson Toyota in LA area. Shipped all the parts to me. Got them painted and installed locally...they are a combination of tape and bolts. Ran $2-3 grand total for all the parts I think...been a year ago. Luis at Carson helped me with it. I've seen the same pieces on japanparts.com too. You might even be able to buy some of them painted in white, black or red, but don't quote me on that.

The US TRD body kit is "similar" to the JDM TRD kit but not the same at all. Right now the JDM kit is probably easier to get than the US kit since the ReleaseSeries 1.0 is brand new.

None of it is cheap, but it does make for a distinctive ride. To complete the look you'll need the TRD quad-tip exhaust.
Just to clarify, there's no difference between the US TRD kit and JDM TRD kit. There's only 1 TRD kit. As I mentioned above, the other Toyota kit is the Euro GTS kit. And the release series 1.0 is similar to the TRD kit, but is entirely different. So it won't affect the availability of the TRD kit.

This is the release series 1.0 kit.

Noz is offline   Reply With Quote