follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2016, 02:55 AM   #71
ithinkimcrashing_

Drives: 91' 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I'll not say to you to not buy it, but I'll make a dump question. Do you know to drive? It is not a good idea to learn driving on this car. Maybe use your dad's old corolla for some years and learn to drive first ...
I mean if u count practice ya, but when I do drive it before I get my license, it'd be in a empty parking lot. there's lots of empty lots here that I could practice on, not like I'm gonna go on a hwy or be in stop and go traffic yet, but once I get my permit from school this year, then comes all of that
nikitopo (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #72
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like a pretty clean car from what I can see. Make sure to check it's history, etc., maybe have a subaru/scion (basically 86er shop) check it out for you ahead of time. But yeah, looks great!
FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:02 AM   #73
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
No disrespect meant to nikitopo, as that advice is actually good advice overall.

I just have a bad experience with that advice. I learned to ride motorcycles on the V-Rod. My instructors all were adamant I needed to get a smaller, less powerful bike first, because you just don't learn on a V-Rod.

Well, if I'd had the ability, I probably would have done what they said, but for my own reasons, I needed to learn on this V-Rod and a different bike wasn't an option.

It worked out great, but I never forgot that one wrong move and it would throw me down and stomp the shit out of me.

Same with this car.

Learning on a more advanced car takes more patience, concentration, and the stakes are higher, no doubt.

So, I agree and disagree. If you can, learn on a cheaper easier car. If not, be careful and respectful and you can learn on this car too.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:10 AM   #74
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
No disrespect meant to nikitopo, as that advice is actually good advice overall.

I just have a bad experience with that advice. I learned to ride motorcycles on the V-Rod. My instructors all were adamant I needed to get a smaller, less powerful bike first, because you just don't learn on a V-Rod.

Well, if I'd had the ability, I probably would have done what they said, but for my own reasons, I needed to learn on this V-Rod and a different bike wasn't an option.

It worked out great, but I never forgot that one wrong move and it would throw me down and stomp the shit out of me.

Same with this car.

Learning on a more advanced car takes more patience, concentration, and the stakes are higher, no doubt.

So, I agree and disagree. If you can, learn on a cheaper easier car. If not, be careful and respectful and you can learn on this car too.
Ya ill see if I could get in touch with any of the professionals out here to check it out, but ya the stakes are a lot higher with a newer fancier car. My dad and i talked a while back about getting a super cheap miata or Honda just to practice manual on for the time being
nikitopo (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #75
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Speaking of Miata's, their manuals are super easy to learn. Also, the type of car they are is similar to an FR-S in some ways, so a Miata is a good choice, in my opinion.

At least my FRS wouldn't be an easy manual to learn on...it's temperamental a bit in first and second gear if you're trying to go slow (or normal speed).
Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 AM   #76
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Speaking of Miata's, their manuals are super easy to learn. Also, the type of car they are is similar to an FR-S in some ways, so a Miata is a good choice, in my opinion.

At least my FRS wouldn't be an easy manual to learn on...it's temperamental a bit in first and second gear if you're trying to go slow (or normal speed).
Ya and even better that you can find one for like 1k or less as a beater. Ur transmission thing I think is a common issue, when I was researching the MT, I would hear the 1st and 2nd would be tough to get into when the car would be cold and especially under 4k rpm, but some just changed their Trans fluid and it was fine after that.
FNCrazy (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 04:06 AM   #77
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimcrashing_ View Post
Ya and even better that you can find one for like 1k or less as a beater. Ur transmission thing I think is a common issue, when I was researching the MT, I would hear the 1st and 2nd would be tough to get into when the car would be cold and especially under 4k rpm, but some just changed their Trans fluid and it was fine after that.
It's not so much hard to get into, it just doesn't want to feather the same, very particular about the gas pedal position.

I put in Motul, (who knows what they had before, I just bought my 2013 used a couple months ago almost). Helped quite a bit, but it definitely likes to have moderate amounts of the go pedal when in first and second, even still. Much better though.

By the time you get to drive these cars, you'll be a pro!
Old 08-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #78
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
It's not so much hard to get into, it just doesn't want to feather the same, very particular about the gas pedal position.

I put in Motul, (who knows what they had before, I just bought my 2013 used a couple months ago almost). Helped quite a bit, but it definitely likes to have moderate amounts of the go pedal when in first and second, even still. Much better though.

By the time you get to drive these cars, you'll be a pro!
Haha thanks, but ya from what I've seen the MT in these is either hit or miss
Old 08-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #79
i_deecee

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Same with this car.

I actually disagree. The FRS is one of the slower, more balanced RWD cars available, which makes it easier to learn the behavior of RWD cars. Not counting the fact that this isn't the easiest car to learn stick in, it is a pretty good car to get into RWD. My friend had an AT Mustang GT, and lost control countless times because there was too much power on tap. That's not gonna happen in this car.
i_deecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #80
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_deecee View Post
I actually disagree. The FRS is one of the slower, more balanced RWD cars available, which makes it easier to learn the behavior of RWD cars. Not counting the fact that this isn't the easiest car to learn stick in, it is a pretty good car to get into RWD. My friend had an AT Mustang GT, and lost control countless times because there was too much power on tap. That's not gonna happen in this car.
Ya for sure, I hear everyone say the car is rly easy to learn manual on, it's just some of the MTs have problems sometimes

Last edited by ithinkimcrashing_; 08-20-2016 at 06:30 PM.
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote