follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List
Clash0901

Old 10-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #183
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Drives: Nike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
I wasnt really talking about what you were saying i was talking about the other guy..... I was actually agreeing with you and yes actually i have priced all this out and not for window shopping i have a full quote for every part and installation for this swap bc Im currently gathering parts to do it.
Sorry I didn't mean anything by my misinformation comment. I was just being direct and not trying to be rude but I like to stick with facts. A full quote is one thing, but beware of hidden charges. I too have known people who *thought* they were going to get away with it for less (and they definitely didn't), but I don't comment on their experiences as facts because it wasn't my own personal experience. Take everything I say as truth to my own experience. If somebody believes they can do it for less with the same resources I had, they may just be wrong. However, if somebody gets automotive discounts on parts or has better resources than me, then it can definitely be done for less. My information is just a solid number to base other builds off of. More or less spent than me, it doesn't matter. I was the only one to do the spreadsheet and I hope enough people can get some help and information from it. I also labeled everything nicely so somebody can see what everything will cost THEM respectively.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #184
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I don't have to go skydiving to say that you can jump out of a plane and land safely on the ground. I have but that's besides the point.

I have done engine swaps before and quit frankly, you're simply full of shit. Just because you over paid and assume others will have to also doesn't mean shit.

Plenty of others have swapped 2j's into this platform for a LOT less than you.

Personally, I don't want a 2j in this platform so I'm not going to PROVE you wrong.

I will eventually be doing another swap in the 86 but I've got other fish in the fryer right now.

Jaden
I could not have been more transparent with my experience. I posted a spreadsheet of what I paid for my stuff. The prices are there for anybody to see. I did this to try and help people that are considering doing this swap in the same manner as myself, properly and without the help of a shop or discounts. Also, you are incredibly immature and it obviously shows. I would appreciate if you kept your ignorance off of my post and made your own post moving forward. Thank you and good luck with everything.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #185
Greenbean

Drives: 2017 series yellow BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post
I could not have been more transparent with my experience. I posted a spreadsheet of what I paid for my stuff. The prices are there for anybody to see. I did this to try and help people that are considering doing this swap in the same manner as myself, properly and without the help of a shop or discounts. Also, you are incredibly immature and it obviously shows. I would appreciate if you kept your ignorance off of my post and made your own post moving forward. Thank you and good luck with everything.
I think you are really confused on what i was trying to say... all i was trying to say is you can get a 2jz, do all of the basics for less than 15k, so idk where you are seeing ignorance or childish anywhere. GL with the rest of the build lol.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #186
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
I think you are really confused on what i was trying to say... all i was trying to say is you can get a 2jz, do all of the basics for less than 15k, so idk where you are seeing ignorance or childish anywhere. GL with the rest of the build lol.
I never called you ignorant or childish, that was directed towards Jaden...

And I agree, if you didn't do any of the head work I did and just took a 2jz gte vvti in stock form and put it in with a cd009 trans, single disk clutch, kept the twins, you can get away with it for a whole lot less. Just to get a basic 2jz/cd009 combo even with a Motec from Pure, you may be able to do it for like 15-20k. If you kept it auto, didn't want the motec and used the factory 2jz ecu that came with it, and wanted to lose all Canbus functionality you can probably have a 2jz swapped brz for under $10k.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #187
Greenbean

Quote:

And I agree, if you didn't do any of the head work I did and just took a 2jz gte vvti in stock form and put it in with a cd009 trans, single disk clutch, kept the twins, you can get away with it for a whole lot less. Just to get a basic 2jz/cd009 combo even with a Motec from Pure, you may be able to do it for like 15-20k. If you kept it auto, didn't want the motec and used the factory 2jz ecu that came with it, and wanted to lose all Canbus functionality you can probably have a 2jz swapped brz for under $10k.
for sure keeping certain functionality is the expensive part, After talking with multiple shops, one shop was more expensive on labor but they would get discounts on parts and bc they were making so much in labor they were telling me they could get me parts for dealer prices like the MOTEC. Granted the build will still cost between 37-45k depending on problems but those are expected. Just to see the cost difference of LS and 2jz I also got a quote from an extremely reputable shop, for 35k(LS) and that is with a t56 and ford 8.8 rear end. this is using a junkyard motor getting sent to the machine shop so that cost can go up a few thousand easy but it just shows how much cheaper an LS COULD be for those wondering.

Edit: Also read the wrong quote before, sorry about that.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #188
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
for sure keeping certain functionality is the expensive part, After talking with multiple shops, one shop was more expensive on labor but they would get discounts on parts and bc they were making so much in labor they were telling me they could get me parts for dealer prices like the MOTEC. Granted the build will still cost between 37-45k depending on problems but those are expected. Just to see the cost difference of LS and 2jz I also got a quote from an extremely reputable shop, for 35k(LS) and that is with a t56 and ford 8.8 rear end. this is using a junkyard motor getting sent to the machine shop so that cost can go up a few thousand easy but it just shows how much cheaper an LS COULD be for those wondering.

Edit: Also read the wrong quote before, sorry about that.
Hey, no worries. And i'm glad you mentioned the LS. I totally can see that and honestly from my experience, the rebuilt junkyard 5.3 would be better bang for your buck. Not only do you spend less overall, but you have the t56 (arguably better than cd009), and a ford 8.8 rear end which is definitely the better rear end. But you have limitations to power. If goals are around or below 500 whp then the 5.3 swap would make way more sense! And who knows, for a little more maybe you can throw a turbo kit on it? I'm not positive, just hypothesizing.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #189
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
How hard was that.

Quote:

Was it that hard to admit it isn't going to cost 60K to do a 2j swap? There was nothing childish about what I was saying.

You posted a price list and then said if someone else did it, it would cost them 15K more than you. It's not my fault that you weren't initially all that clear on it being if you had a shop do it the same way YOU did at the same prices you paid.

It gets old hearing people say it would cost way more to do a swap than it actually does.

Many people would like to be able to do a swap affordably and then build it up over time. You just chose to do it all at once. Nothing wrong with that.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #190
Stevemode

Drives: "Baby Gurl" of FBM
I've found this build incredibly detailed and helpful throughout my own build. How much more time should someone spend detailing their build for others to research?
I've also found entertainment in others bickering about things they haven't done, won't be attempting anytime soon, but for some reason think they know better. This thread was better without that comedy...

IG: Stevemode62
Stevemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #191
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemode View Post
I've found this build incredibly detailed and helpful throughout my own build. How much more time should someone spend detailing their build for others to research?
I've also found entertainment in others bickering about things they haven't done, won't be attempting anytime soon, but for some reason think they know better. This thread was better without that comedy...
Hey, I totally agree. I am not going to entertain anymore of it... I put this build thread up to be helpful to others and I get literally no gain from having done so. If the shitshow continues, i'll have it locked or just remove the thing entirely. I don't need some of the moronic comments that have come through as of late. It's a distraction from the topic at hand!
Old 11-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #192
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A great way to overcome all the pointless bickering is just to post some updated pics/videos - especially now that it's being driven already.
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WC-BRZ For This Useful Post:
Zer0 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #193
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I was going to leave it alone...

Quote:
Hey, I totally agree. I am not going to entertain anymore of it... I put this build thread up to be helpful to others and I get literally no gain from having done so. If the shitshow continues, i'll have it locked or just remove the thing entirely. I don't need some of the moronic comments that have come through as of late. It's a distraction from the topic at hand!

It's not a shit show nor moronic or any of the sort. You showed what you spent which was an extensive show of what someone who wants to make sure they have supporting mods for the ability to make substantial power down the road.

You followed it up with saying that someone else would have to spend what you spent on top of the cost of the car which made no sense. Especially considering we have vendors here that do the swap that qualify it being able to be done for 25K and there have been several people who have done the swap for 10-15K.

I called you out on making that statement when it has been shown that that is not the case many times.

You called me childish and moronic for calling you out on the above.

Then you pm me with some bullshit about staying out of your thread and threaten to have the thread closed? What? Sounds like you're a butt hurt little kid who can't stand having his feelings hurt.

All I did was ask for qualification on the 40K plus car comment when what you posted stood in the face of that.

Your reaction to that is what turned this into a shit show.

BTW, I'll comment in whatever the fuck thread I want to saying whatever the hell I want to within forum guidelines.

If you can't handle the fire, stay out of the kitchen.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Clash0901 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #194
Greenbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
It's not a shit show nor moronic or any of the sort. You showed what you spent which was an extensive show of what someone who wants to make sure they have supporting mods for the ability to make substantial power down the road.

You followed it up with saying that someone else would have to spend what you spent on top of the cost of the car which made no sense. Especially considering we have vendors here that do the swap that qualify it being able to be done for 25K and there have been several people who have done the swap for 10-15K.

I called you out on making that statement when it has been shown that that is not the case many times.

You called me childish and moronic for calling you out on the above.

Then you pm me with some bullshit about staying out of your thread and threaten to have the thread closed? What? Sounds like you're a butt hurt little kid who can't stand having his feelings hurt.

All I did was ask for qualification on the 40K plus car comment when what you posted stood in the face of that.

Your reaction to that is what turned this into a shit show.

BTW, I'll comment in whatever the fuck thread I want to saying whatever the hell I want to within forum guidelines.

If you can't handle the fire, stay out of the kitchen.

Jaden
No vendor can do this swap for 25k if they keep the CANBUS functionality....... I can 1000% stand by this statement because I have priced out the swap with the supporting mods to hold power, If you do the bare minimum and keep CANBUS your spending at least 30k
Old 02-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #195
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh man, gotta be honest, reading through this thread it's almost heartbreaking to go over OP's comments regarding regrets and just starting with a faster car from the beginning.

All this time, money and effort only to hear that at the end is tough.

What makes it worse is all the Mr. Know-it-all's who haven't ever come close to doing something like this but sure do have their stupid ass opinions.

OP, are you able to share any updates?
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #196
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Oh man, gotta be honest, reading through this thread it's almost heartbreaking to go over OP's comments regarding regrets and just starting with a faster car from the beginning.

All this time, money and effort only to hear that at the end is tough.

What makes it worse is all the Mr. Know-it-all's who haven't ever come close to doing something like this but sure do have their stupid ass opinions.

OP, are you able to share any updates?
No real updates at this time. The car runs, and it runs great. It's incredibly quick on 93 and low boost. I have some parts to add in the next coming months and then tuning for proper e85/flex fuel. On high boost and e85 I'm hoping to make north of 700whp. It will be a badass car but I still wish I would have went with a different platform. However, it wasn't JUST the BRZ specific stuff that made this cost so much. The reality is, building something with 700+whp and a 2jz is just not cheap in general. An LS swap would cut a lot of costs down on this. Assuming you don't go the turbo route. Probably an easy $10k less than what I have into this car. My main regret is just not buying an MK4 Supra (which I definitely could have afforded). The Supra would have held value and maybe even risen in value in these past 2 years.

My personal regret should not deter others, I just want to be transparent with everyone that may share my concerns.

I will post updates once it warms up in Michigan and I start working on the car again. Thanks for tuning in!