follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #3039
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
My Eyo, I just looked back at your last post. If you have 25% STFT you have a large vacuum leak or a sensor is giving your ECU ridiculous readings. Your tuner should look at your logs and be able to tell you very quickly if it is a sensor reading strangely.
Found out what it was. I was watching a real time log today and saw the Delicious flex fuel content analyzer was rapidly toggling between 0-82% ethanol. During idle, the car's shuddering seemed to correlate. I then went back and looked at older logs on my computer and found an instance where a seemingly healthy sensor suddenly went dead. STFT immediately went to +35%. Measured AFR went to 19.99. All of this is consistent with the sensor reporting 0 ethanol content for E82. The ECU would think it has pure gasoline and for a commanded AFR of 14.7, the amount of "gas" (really E82) injected would be about 35% less than required to get a lambda of 1 on E82.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Eyo For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (04-04-2019), Bunsin (04-05-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #3040
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Found out what it was. I was watching a real time log today and saw the Delicious flex fuel content analyzer was rapidly toggling between 0-82% ethanol. During idle, the car's shuddering seemed to correlate. I then went back and looked at older logs on my computer and found an instance where a seemingly healthy sensor suddenly went dead. STFT immediately went to +35%. Measured AFR went to 19.99. All of this is consistent with the sensor reporting 0 ethanol content for E82. The ECU would think it has pure gasoline and for a commanded AFR of 14.7, the amount of "gas" (really E82) injected would be about 35% less than required to get a lambda of 1 on E82.
Where do you see the flex fuel reading? I'm looking at my Ecutek logs and don't see it.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #3041
Mr_Eyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Where do you see the flex fuel reading? I'm looking at my Ecutek logs and don't see it.
It should be selected by default in ProECU. At least it is in mine and for some reason you can't save your log parameter selection between sessions. See required log parameters from DT's site (16th from the top):
https://www.delicioustuning.com/site...Parameters.JPG
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Eyo For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (04-08-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #3042
Mr_Eyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsin View Post
Apparently I am now in this camp. At times the AFR is swinging wildly and I am getting hesitation at even throttle. It comes and goes (e.g car is fine for 15 min then after a hard pull goes to crap). The boost swings as well so I’m betting a vacuum leak in the actuator... there is definitely gunk on the metal rod just inside the housing. What threw me is it was just after switching back to E85 from 93 that it started so I was assuming bad gas. After Another fill up from a different station and getting to about 70% ETOH I’m still having issues.

Someone posted a pinch test on the vacuum line but I can’t find the post for the life of me
If you're in the same camp log the flex fuel ethanol content. See my post up above. If the ethanol content signal to the ECU erroneously drops to 0, then you'd see no issues running on 93, only on E85.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #3043
Bunsin
Car Goes Bang

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
If you're in the same camp log the flex fuel ethanol content. See my post up above. If the ethanol content signal to the ECU erroneously drops to 0, then you'd see no issues running on 93, only on E85.
I’ll take a look. The Bluetooth app is reading 65% continuous, but that could just be lagged from the actual sensor. After seeing how high the AFR was and watching the short term fuel trims (and frankly finding no other vac leak), I figured I would go ahead and do a tear down. The local dealer did the valve spring recall a month ago and apparently reused the intake and exhaust gaskets as well as didn’t torque down the bolt next to the #1 cylinder. There was fouling in the #1 intake plenum that would seem to indicate a problem. Hoewer I’m not really sure that is just it. I’m replacing all the gaskets and the coils as long as I’m in there (plugs were done during the recall) as well as making sure they didn’t screw anything else up. I really think one of my DW700cc fuel injectors might be bad (again maybe #1?), but I’ll wait until I get all the other things in place before swapping out injectors that have less than 20k on them...

What makes me think you are onto something with the ETOH sensor is that this problem started when I switched over. I assumed the actuator leak was then the issue but it was only one of at least two issues. I updated the ProECU software and I now see the ETOH %. - many thanks

BTW I went with IP ignition direct coils which should help with weak spark.

Last edited by Bunsin; 04-05-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Updated software to get ETOH%
Bunsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #3044
Mad-BRZ
Thread Lurker

Drives: 2015 Edelbrock BRZ
I have a question about fitment between the grams 72mm throttle body and the edelbrock SC. I've been told its possible for them to work nicely together however there is some modding required. anyone have experience with these two things?
Mad-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #3045
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-BRZ View Post
I have a question about fitment between the grams 72mm throttle body and the edelbrock SC. I've been told its possible for them to work nicely together however there is some modding required. anyone have experience with these two things?
You'll want to stick to the OEM throttle body. YOu can stretch the Edelbrock hose if you really want to.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #3046
Mad-BRZ
Thread Lurker

Drives: 2015 Edelbrock BRZ
At this point the OEM throttle body is a restriction. Needing a bigger one. However, I ordered the grams 72mm and didn't read that it was not recommended for edelbrock due to it not being a straight bolt on. you have to mod the inlet tube for it to fit.

also, is there a good thread to read up on good internals? I heard manley pistons and rods were good but they lower the compression ratio and I want to keep the compression the same.
Mad-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #3047
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It should be selected by default in ProECU. At least it is in mine and for some reason you can't save your log parameter selection between sessions. See required log parameters from DT's site (16th from the top):
https://www.delicioustuning.com/site...Parameters.JPG
It was named something different from my tuner James at HRI. It was named custom map A result.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #3048
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bought the Supercharger and ordered the ECUTech and tune for delicious. Looking forward to starting the install soonish.

Lucked out and my kit was made this year. It has the V2 surge tank and I hope it has the fixed actuator.
I called Edelbrock to ask about what has changed in the kit over the last few years and they had no idea....
Old 04-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #3049
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
At this point the OEM throttle body is a restriction. Needing a bigger one. However, I ordered the grams 72mm and didn't read that it was not recommended for edelbrock due to it not being a straight bolt on. you have to mod the inlet tube for it to fit.

also, is there a good thread to read up on good internals? I heard manley pistons and rods were good but they lower the compression ratio and I want to keep the compression the same.
How much power are you pushing? CSG has done 500+ on the OEM throttle body and edelbrock kit.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #3050
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

The throttle body is a little bit longer so it will not fit as well with the Edelbrock Supercharger Kit. I think it can but it will not be an ideal fitment.

As Mike @ CSG has stated the stock throttle body works rather well and we have tuned cars well over 500+ hp with the OEM piece.

Cheers,
William Knose
Master Tuner @ Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
shr133 (04-28-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #3051
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
Bought the Supercharger and ordered the ECUTech and tune for delicious. Looking forward to starting the install soonish.

Lucked out and my kit was made this year. It has the V2 surge tank and I hope it has the fixed actuator.
I called Edelbrock to ask about what has changed in the kit over the last few years and they had no idea....
I believe you have already received your initial tune, of you have not please let me know so we can make sure you are taken care of asap.

Cheers,
William Knose
CallmeDave (05-20-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #3052
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
It all depends on what version of RaceROM you are currently on. Version 10 and up support Flex Fuel natively where as the previous versions do not.

Cheers,
William Knose
BirdTRD (04-09-2019)