follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #155
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just made a small batch of honda shifters. Custom 7075 aluminum. If interested in having a batch made , throw a napkin drawing my way and I can CAD something up and let you approve it and make one up for you to try. Just hit me up in PM.

(CNC programmer/machinist)

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #156
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
There are plenty of alternatives if you don't need CAN integration. If you do then there aren't many options at all

ECUMasters EMU Black (https://www.ecumaster.com/products/emu-black/) can apparently do full CAN integration for these cars too. Not sure how much custom work would still be required beyond wiring though.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #157
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
ECUMasters EMU Black (https://www.ecumaster.com/products/emu-black/) can apparently do full CAN integration for these cars too. Not sure how much custom work would still be required beyond wiring though.
From what i can tell they do support it can integration. But still a lot of major wiring stuff will need to be done to get other ACC to work like AC, Push start, (both are can/physical-wire based). And if they did they have no information on how to wire that stuff up. But i highly doubt they have full integration.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #158
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
From what i can tell they do support it can integration. But still a lot of major wiring stuff will need to be done to get other ACC to work like AC, Push start, (both are can/physical-wire based). And if they did they have no information on how to wire that stuff up. But i highly doubt they have full integration.

The ECU being able to support it doesn't mean it's plug and play... the motec that pure automotive is using also supports it, but they to do a ton of work (wiring, firmware, etc) to make it plug and play.

My point was that there is another ECU option if you don't want the motec.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #159
geraldjust

Quote:
The ECU being able to support it doesn't mean it's plug and play... the motec that pure automotive is using also supports it, but they to do a ton of work (wiring, firmware, etc) to make it plug and play.

My point was that there is another ECU option if you don't want the motec.
OHHH that's true. Usually all those plug and play systems work but they are significantly much more expensive than the EMU black.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #160
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Automotive View Post
Another side note, I can assure you that the Plug and Play kit for the K is going to be cheaper! The harness is a little less involved, so we were able to save a couple bucks there. I'm hoping, and can't be sure, but I'm HOPING, that the K series Plug and Play will be closer to $5200 as opposed to the normal $5995 standard price on the other 2. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, MoTeC pricing is firm and cannot be discounted per their policy, and we put A LOT of R&D into the firmware packages along with support.

I'm local and very interested in the swap, will there be any hope for those of use that want a cable throttle? I fucking hate DBW and don't use TC anyway, although I would like to keep cruise.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #161
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
I fucking hate DBW and don't use TC anyway, although I would like to keep cruise.
That is interesting. Why do you hate DBW?
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #162
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
I'm local and very interested in the swap, will there be any hope for those of use that want a cable throttle? I fucking hate DBW and don't use TC anyway, although I would like to keep cruise.
There is zero advantage to a cable with this ecu. We switched our drag car to DBW even. The idle control alone is worth it
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (03-12-2019), Tcoat (03-12-2019), wparsons (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #163
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
That is interesting. Why do you hate DBW?

Rev hang and a noticeable disconnect between the gas pedal and what the gas pedal controls. I've driven both and I've never driven a DBW that wasn't noticeable worse than a throttle cable, even when that throttle cable is on a 1995 Isuzu trooper. Still better than the BRZ, even with the BRZ tuned.

Compared to my wifes '05 S2k? Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
There is zero advantage to a cable with this ecu. We switched our drag car to DBW even. The idle control alone is worth it
Can I bring my wifes S2K by for a back to back comparison? I want to believe because easy mode, but... that's just not been my experience.* I also want ITB's

*I've never experienced a Motec car either for what that's worth.

Last edited by s0sl0w; 03-12-2019 at 10:33 AM.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #164
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
Goes back a ways but there was a day I would have killed for DBW tech!
Probably have 100 hours or more of my life tied up in adjusting cables and linkage.

wparsons (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #165
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
OHHH that's true. Usually all those plug and play systems work but they are significantly much more expensive than the EMU black.

The motec ECU alone is about $2200, the EMU Black is about $1200, but the wiring/ECU package with the motec is likely going to be in the $5200 range. If someone were to sell the same kind of package (or if you're DIY on the wiring), but with the EMU black it could save about $1000.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #166
geraldjust

Quote:
The motec ECU alone is about $2200, the EMU Black is about $1200, but the wiring/ECU package with the motec is likely going to be in the $5200 range. If someone were to sell the same kind of package (or if you're DIY on the wiring), but with the EMU black it could save about $1000.
Well i just did a quick search from the EMU Black product and they removed any mention of the BRZ/GT86 in the changelog and there current posted software doesn't support it yet. For the EMU your kinda on your own when it comes to wiring. They dont have a plug and play kit for our cars either. I agree is someone could make a wiring kit it could probably be cheaper then then the motec option. But if you want peace of mind i think the motec is your best bet. I tried to contact EMU guys if they want to work with me to further their integration with out car. And they just brushed me off saying they have "full can integration" Even though some systems of the cars are not can controlled or are a hybrid of can/physical wires.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #167
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Well i just did a quick search from the EMU Black product and they removed any mention of the BRZ/GT86 in the changelog and there current posted software doesn't support it yet. For the EMU your kinda on your own when it comes to wiring. They dont have a plug and play kit for our cars either. I agree is someone could make a wiring kit it could probably be cheaper then then the motec option. But if you want peace of mind i think the motec is your best bet. I tried to contact EMU guys if they want to work with me to further their integration with out car. And they just brushed me off saying they have "full can integration" Even though some systems of the cars are not can controlled or are a hybrid of can/physical wires.

Motec doesn't have a plug and play option either? That's what pure automotive is making (wiring and firmware).

Interesting that they pulled the 86 support from the change log, wonder if it was leaked early or something?
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #168
geraldjust

Quote:
Motec doesn't have a plug and play option either? That's what pure automotive is making (wiring and firmware).

Interesting that they pulled the 86 support from the change log, wonder if it was leaked early or something?
No i don't think it was leaked, it was in earlier ver. of their change log. So they edited it. Or maybe it reflects what the software is right now. I would like to make someday a plug and play for the EMU but they did not seem to embracing in working with me about that so i moved on. They also confirmed the 86/BRZ compatibility though email. So my best guess is they probably told everyone that have full integration But did not. And ran into a issue and had to pull the feature for now?

Oh and yes! that a mistake in my part. I meant to say Pure Automotive Plug and play package. Not directly from motec themselves.
wparsons (03-13-2019)