follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is nothing wrong with starting in second as long as you are doing it in moderation. In fact, when there is snow/ice on the ground I recommend starting in second sometimes so you avoid wheel spin and getting stuck.

But you definitely want to continue practicing first gear. So much of this is muscle memory with the gas, clutch, and your foot. The more you do it, the easier it will get
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
This car has such a small engine I really recommend you not start off in second gear unless traction is very low. This is especially the case if you are just learning to shift manually. Your clutch just isn't intended for that level of wear.

The factory clutch pedal height is too high off the floor, everyone who drove my car for the first time stalled it, including me. Every one of those drivers had over 100,000 miles of experience shifting a manual, most had considerably more experience. The Subaru clutch engagement point is also too high off the floor.

Adjust both the pedal height and the clutch engagement (bite) point so that the bottom edge of the pedal is no more than 5 inches off the floor, measured at approximately 90 degrees from the the pedal to the carpet under the pedal, (meaning from the ideal to where it reaches the floor) and the pedal free play amount remains the same. Total Pedal stroke has to be between 4.25 inches and 4.5 inches to ensure clean shifting.

My dealer did this as a free warranty adjustment at the first oil change at 2,000 miles (6 months for me). I sent my dealership the the link to the excellent video and still photo clutch adjustment thread on this site to assist their mechanics after I was told the clutch bite point isn't adjustable, which is true. Actually you are just moving the clutch engagement point in the pedal travel. The actual clutch operation isn't changed and is not adjustable, only the pedal can be adjusted.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I have never stalled my car. I have found the manual and clutch in this car to be one of the smoothest I have ever owned. And I have owned lots.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Try to get the car going without any gas first. You need to find the 'catch' point of the clutch and once you get that position memorized, it makes getting the car rolling that much easier.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This was a bit of a paradigm shift for me when I was first learning a few months back:

1) learning clutch grab point is important but I would argue learning the feel of the accelerator to feather at ~800-1K RPM is just as if not more important for a beginner

2) clutch to the floor, feather to ~800RPM (you can pre-empt this when at intersections so that you don't have too slow of a start)

3) slowly release clutch until grab point while feathering, clutch will catch - hold it at catch point for half a second or so, then let out clutch all the way while adding gas above and beyond feather point of ~800 - I try to be around 1.5K RPM when foot is completely removed from clutch.

When transitioning from first to second:

1) foot off accelerator, clutch in to the floor
2) shift first to second
3) before easing clutch back out, add a bit of gas (same pressure as if you would while feathering ~800RPM) and hold briefly at catch point, as you release clutch, add gas as you would when going 0 --> 1st
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've started in 2nd on accident a couple of times. Don't think it'll hurt much as long as you're gentle.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
R3d

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
there's only 2 ways to approach this problem!

1- take the pill and be a man and keep trying, if its not easy it means your still getting better at it (witch is a good thing)!
2- use second gear and put off learning until chicken have teeth !
R3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Great input guys. I'll have to do the clutch adjustment when I get a chance because I tried driving a friends civic today, and I had a significantly easier time getting into first. I'm just dreading the job as I already have a bad back ; _ ;
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Tgionet
SPACESHIP

Drives: BRZ Ltd 6MT WRB
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Total Pedal stroke has to be between 4.25 inches and 4.5 inches to ensure clean shifting.

My dealer did this as a free warranty adjustment at the first oil change at 2,000 miles (6 months for me). I sent my dealership the the link to the excellent video and still photo clutch adjustment thread on this site to assist their mechanics after I was told the clutch bite point isn't adjustable, which is true. Actually you are just moving the clutch engagement point in the pedal travel. The actual clutch operation isn't changed and is not adjustable, only the pedal can be adjusted.
Service manual says 4.125 to 4.25" iirc. There are also full instructions in it for adjusting the clutch so don't let dealers give you bull.
Tgionet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tgionet For This Useful Post:
Suberman (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Figure it out.. 1st gear is there for a reason.. Learn how to drive a stick and use it. Takes practice to get it right.. Slipping 2nd gear is dumb.
By an automatic if you can't figure it out..
buy*
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
hiroanz

Drives: 2014 BRZ SportTech White Satin Peal
Think of 2nd gear starts as the manual transmission version of the "Snow mode".. and should only be used as such.
hiroanz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hiroanz For This Useful Post:
Suberman (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgionet View Post
Service manual says 4.125 to 4.25" iirc. There are also full instructions in it for adjusting the clutch so don't let dealers give you bull.
Thanks for that correction. I didn't have the exact numbers in front of me and I didn't want to err on the wrong side.

My dealer didn't bull me, the clutch bite point isn't adjustable at the clutch which, technically is where the bite point happens. Once the mechanic got the links he understood I meant only to adjust the pedal height and the pushrod length together. They did a great job for me.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
SoCal909

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Hey bro just wanted to let you know that we're in the same boat! I just got my BRZ Sun night and I stalled the shit out of it and couldn't even drive it that night, had to get my mom to drive it home LOL (got it from Clint, and the truck dropped it off @ a big parking lot).

Then on Mon I was a lot better - I think I stalled 3 times but had many successful starts, although I would say around half of them were a little rough and 10% of them were very rough.

Then today I was driving around my neighborhood again and I only stalled when I was practicing starting on a hill (on my driveway, which is pretty damn steep).

What I realized I was doing wrong, was not taking my time letting off the clutch. Coming from an automatic, the way I think of it is that instead of the gas controlling the gar, in a manual the clutch controls the car.

I'm still not confident enough to take it too far yet, I know my reaction time if I have to move out of the way quickly or whatever would be quite slow and I don't want to get into an accident xD
SoCal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Definitely, I made the mistake of making a commute out to Temecula, (coming from my work, about 60 miles) during rush hour traffic. After having my car for one day. Ironically, I didn't stall on the freeway. It was only at the light on my exit where I had real issues.

I plan on doing that clutch adjustment everyone's been going on about, because apparently it drastically changes the feel of the clutch. I'd rather fix it and adjust to it now than to get comfortable with how it is, and then have to relearn it all over again.
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote