follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #1
Suzuyans
Something something

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Vortech), 1993 R32 GT-R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any experience with Godspeed coilovers?

So, these coilovers seem -ALMOST- too good to be true. I was literally about to buy some Tein Flex Z but then I came across these coilovers.

I did a bit of research and I THINK (in other words I dunno if this is true) and they're manufactured by Bor Chuann who actually does stuff like HKS coilovers?

The only thing that honestly concerns me is that super stiff spring rate. Which is like...extremely high.

Apparently they're very well known among the Honda community though?

I checked their Facebook and they even have coilovers installed on an M4.

https://shop.redline360.com/products...3-2018-mss0133

630 USD for adjustable damping along with CAMBER ADJUSTMENT for that price point. Like. Wow. That value is so good.

But, yeah the question is - does anyone actually have these coilovers or can vouch for the brand? They don't -really- look like garbage eBay coilovers. If these are rebranded HKS coilovers with stiffer springs I'm probably going to pull the trigger.

Also I'm not using these things for tracking. Just checking for reliability and such.
Suzuyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Run far away. 8kg/mm all around on cheap valving is going to ride like garbage.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
We don't sell tein, bc, godspeed, or hks. I'll start with that.

Tein and HKS are of at least reasonable quality, ranging to pretty good stuff for the higher end Teins. I don't know nor do I care who makes Godspeed or HKS, but they're not the same thing. Bor Chuan does manufacture a lot of coilover brands but they're not all the same. Some of it is garbage.

It really doesn't matter if anyone put Godspeeds on an M4. It doesn't mean they're any better than the OEM BMW shocks. Even OEM Subaru shocks are better than the shocks in some aftermarket coilovers. Also doesn't really matter that they're well known in the Honda community. Lots of things are really well known in the BRZ community, and some of it is garbage.

The most important part of a coilover is what's inside. Camber plates, shiny colors, number of adjustment clicks advertised, even the spring rates...these are less important than the actual valving of the damper. And this is the part that's hardest to see or advertise.

Dampers are more complicated than just "stiff" and "soft". It's the hardest part to get right and it's why the really good stuff is more expensive. You can spend 10 grand on shocks without springs or camber plates if you like (though you probably shouldn't).

Many of the low end brands don't always use valving specific to the car. I've seen the same shock labeled for 3 completely different cars. This is for a brand that is well known and made by BC. It's...not ideal.

The adjustable damping feature doesn't matter too much if you're adjustment range is from crappy and soft to crappy and stiff.

So how do you know what's good and what's garbage? That's a good question. We can't all be shock nerds reading shock dyno plots for fun, but learning a little bit goes a long way. I've been doing this for 15 or so years and I'm still learning new things. Do some reading (with a skeptical eye, because not everything you read is true) and figure out your goals. Talk to the pros, maybe more than one. This community is fortunate to have a couple of good suspension tuners with plenty of experience with this platform. We are just one of them. Get your suspension parts from a suspension tuner that knows what they're doing.

I also think what opens a lot of people's eyes is ridealongs in GOOD cars so you have a point of reference. It's good that you're skeptical of the value and price point of these, but take that a little further and be skeptical of some of the gossipy so and so said X is good because Y community likes them and they're actually made by Z company. What matters most is suspension travel, valving, and aftersale support. The rest is details....still important but not the most important.

Get your suspension parts from a suspension tuner, or at least get suspension parts specifically designed for this car.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 12-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Calum (12-29-2019), Captain Snooze (12-30-2019), Clutch Dog (12-29-2019), DarkPira7e (12-29-2019), Jmk91 (01-02-2020), RToyo86 (01-02-2020), soundman98 (12-28-2019), Suzuyans (12-29-2019), wparsons (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Contender

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
I have been looking at the Tein Flex Z and Apexi n1 ExV among others...I think I am going with the Apexi n1 ExV s 6k springs front and back and 32 way adjustable damping and camber plates.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I also think what opens a lot of people's eyes is ridealongs in GOOD cars so you have a point of reference. It's good that you're skeptical of the value and price point of these, but take that a little further and be skeptical of some of the gossipy so and so said X is good because Y community likes them and they're actually made by Z company. What matters most is suspension travel, valving, and aftersale support.

- Andrew
I thought Fortune Auto's where good till I rode in a car with the AST 5100's,
and I thought they where good till i rode in a car with MCS's.

but no one has 10k for suspension hahah

( the tarmac 2 from RCE is a good bet. and if that is too much? koni yellow with the RCE spring and get a camber plate)
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (01-03-2020), NoHaveMSG (01-03-2020)
Old 12-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
I thought Fortune Auto's where good till I rode in a car with the AST 5100's,
and I thought they where good till i rode in a car with MCS's.

but no one has 10k for suspension hahah

( the tarmac 2 from RCE is a good bet. and if that is too much? koni yellow with the RCE spring and get a camber plate)

At about 3 grand they should be good lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Contender For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #7
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
thats about what i had. shocks, springs, helper springs, and camber plates
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post

$3k really isn't that expensive for suspension... most people don't realize that new OEM shocks, springs, and upper mounts would be more than most budget coilovers on the market either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-03-2020), strat61caster (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
Contender

Well, I guess I'll find out soon I just ordered the Apexi n1 ExV coilovers.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
I'm guessing this was the black friday sale at 86Speed? That's a helluva great deal for $800 compared to the usual $1100 I believe? I held back and bought a new smartphone instead..lol
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #11
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
I'm guessing this was the black friday sale at 86Speed? That's a helluva great deal for $800 compared to the usual $1100 I believe? I held back and bought a new smartphone instead..lol
Yep 86Speed just got them today. They sure look nice we will see how they ride soon. Not many reviews on them on our platform but for the price I figured what the hell if I don't like them, I am sure I can sell them and not loose to much.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:43 AM   #12
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
I held back and bought a new smartphone instead..lol
Dammit dude lol

OP, if you have to ask if anyone has any experience with a product, then it’s probably best to stay away. If you think something is too good to be true, it is. In this case, just go with something reputable and reliable. There’s plenty of quality products that fit your needs I’m sure. XXR has a GTR with their wheels on their site so don’t let shit like that fool you.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote