follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #883
arvidj

Drives: '93 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As I mentioned earlier, I took the car into the dealer with the idle issue. They had the car two days and it still idled poorly when I picked it up. Here are the details from the paperwork:

------------------
Diagnosis:

Customer states vehicle is idiling (sic) veru (sic) rough.

CHK and REPORT.

Verified idle drops to 530RPM then jumps up to 1000RPM.
Verified with another vehicle that concern is a normal characteristic of vehicle. TAS Case #........ Vehicle is operating as designed. No repairs made.
------------------

The dealer gave me an 800 number to call to escalate the issue. I will attempt to explain to the customer support people the difference between "consistently wrong" and "normal".

Arvid
arvidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #884
arvidj

Drives: '93 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well the call to Scion Customer Service suggests they are impotent.

They "do not have the authority to override the dealerships determination that the condition is 'normal'".

This is an interesting 'catch-22'.

After speaking with the dealership about service work, Toyota only gives them two options ... They must either resolve the issue or determine that the issue is normal. Those are the only two 'service work results' available to the dealer from Toyota.

The dealers ability to resolve the issue is limited to checking the ECU to ensure it has the most recent software and then escalating to the next level technical support line to see if any other remedies are available. It appears as though the next level technical support does not have a resolution to the problem, therefore the dealer can not resolve the issue.

Given that it is impossible for the dealer to resolve the issue the only other option they have for the 'service work result' is to call it 'normal'.

And we are then back to "Scion Customer Service" can not override the dealers determination.

In short, if the dealer says that "an documented idle that varies between 530 and 1000 RPM continuously over a 15 second interval" is normal because Toyota does not offer any remedy ... i.e. "2 + 2 = 5" ... and they have multiple instances of vehicles that exhibit this behavior ... i.e. writing "2 + 2 = 5" on the black board 1000 times ... then indeed, it is "normal" and 2 + 2 really does equal 5.

The options offered by Scion Customer Service were "take it to another dealer" ... which smacks of the 'stupidity by doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result' paradigm ... or to look in the back of the owners manual under the "Warranty Arbitration" section.

I'm off to read that section of the manual.

Arvid
arvidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #885
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This may not be the best place to ask but can OFT users chime in if they still have this issue. @Shiv@Openflash

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #886
nunonuna

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
This may not be the best place to ask but can OFT users chime in if they still have this issue. @Shiv@Openflash
Still does that with mine with AC on, but not as many times as before the tune. Also it seems happening more often with high ambient temperature.
nunonuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #887
VeezyF

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
funny i just got a brand new FRS a/t 2015 -- my second day i went over 100 miles. when i got back home from driving .. in park the idle rpm kept reving and dipping to where it almost stalled (with or without a/c on)

i hope they didnt put cheap gas in my new car. It had 20 miles when i picked it up. =(
VeezyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 AM   #888
MrPantyDroppa

Drives: Crystal Silica Black
Anyone got any more info on this? My BRZ has been doing this for well over 10k miles. I'm sitting at 26k and it still happens regularly.

As someone said in a few posts up, it seems to happen more in warmer air. My car would actually die on deceleration during the summer months. I can't go to the dealer cus of the turbo :/ Increased idle speed from the tune seemed to help a bit but the problem still persists.
MrPantyDroppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 AM   #889
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPantyDroppa View Post
Anyone got any more info on this? My BRZ has been doing this for well over 10k miles. I'm sitting at 26k and it still happens regularly.

As someone said in a few posts up, it seems to happen more in warmer air. My car would actually die on deceleration during the summer months. I can't go to the dealer cus of the turbo :/ Increased idle speed from the tune seemed to help a bit but the problem still persists.
My engine is still stock but it went away for me after I put a drop in filter in it 3000mile down the road. The Funny thing is that it actually started doing it again when I has to reset the battery. Its like the ecu learned to drop idle again......
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #890
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
From reading parts of this thread it sounds like something my Yaris and some other new Toyotas do supposedly for emissions purposes, ie it goes as low as it can then jumps to 1000 rpms and hunts back down.

I am surprised you couldn't use a tune and raise the idle a bit, for me in my Yaris an intake and pulleys changed things enough so that it doesn't rpm hunt any more. Maybe the other thing to try is these throttle bodies have tiny screws set into them, usually totally covered with paint if they haven't been touched, and they can vary the idle by tiny amounts so you could raise it just high enough to stop it from rpm hunting.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #891
P5yk0t1c

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post

My car used to do this all the time as well. With my OFT tune I do not have those rev dips any longer. With or without A/C on.

I used to have a 2013 had idle dip after about 100miles, took into the dealership to have it looked at, they said everything was fine....they needed to see a CEL before they would do anything. About 500 miles later, I got the CEL took it in and they cleared the code...did this about 5 times in the next month. After the last time I took her out for a rip and toasted the motor. Fought with Scion and they gave me a new 2014. Drove it for 100miles same idle dip....got an OFT, never looked back. Car runs 10x better than before.
P5yk0t1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #892
D5teph
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Zenki 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
My engine is still stock but it went away for me after I put a drop in filter in it 3000mile down the road. The Funny thing is that it actually started doing it again when I has to reset the battery. Its like the ecu learned to drop idle again......

Is your motor still doing that low drop idle from time to time?
Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #893
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D5teph View Post
Is your motor still doing that low drop idle from time to time?
Mine was doing it for 25000 miles (and almost 3 years). Now it finally decided to raise P0017 error. Car is in dealer's shop now. They said that camshaft sprocket has to be replaced. Part is out of stock in local distribution center (NJ) and has to be ordered. It will take few days. Good thing is that dealer offer free of charge rental.
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote