follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #43
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
No it's not
cubing something is raising it to the third power. 3 would be the exponent you use. growing exponentially is what happens when you use exponents...unless that wink is inferring some sarcasm that im missing because i refuse to read the previous posts...i guess that last statement is whats wrong with forums
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #44
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Uh, sorry, that is pretty incorrect. The wink was just, random.

Exponential relation means it's of the form a^x. Or functionally, f(x+y)=f(x)f(y). Am I seriously having to clarify this? -_-

Example of exponential relation: The charge in a capacitor discharging into a resistor over time. Exponentially decaying.
Example of cube relation: Power due to fluid resistance as a function of speed. Water pump in your engine falls into this category. Aerodynamic drag falls into this territory.
Example of square relation: The force due to fluid resistance as a function of speed. Another would be force vs. distance a spring is stretched.
Example of linear relation: Frictional force as a function of force against the surface. In your transmission, valves, bearings you lose to friction energy proportional to the force on the surfaces.

Typical "force relations" are 1st or 2nd degree polynomial functions, and acceleration, momentum, blah blah are all defined as derivatives/integrals of motion so you typically do not see "exponential growth" in this context.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #45
Yenadar
Rotorhead

Drives: 2005 WWP RX-8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'll edit my post if it will help...
Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #46
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Uh, sorry, that is pretty incorrect. The wink was just, random.

Exponential relation means it's of the form a^x. Or functionally, f(x+y)=f(x)f(y). Am I seriously having to clarify this? -_-

Example of exponential relation: The charge in a capacitor discharging into a resistor over time. Exponentially decaying.
Example of cube relation: Power due to fluid resistance as a function of speed. Water pump in your engine falls into this category. Aerodynamic drag falls into this territory.
Example of square relation: The force due to fluid resistance as a function of speed. Another would be force vs. distance a spring is stretched.
Example of linear relation: Frictional force as a function of force against the surface. In your transmission, valves, bearings you lose to friction energy proportional to the force on the surfaces.

Typical "force relations" are 1st or 2nd degree polynomial functions, and acceleration, momentum, blah blah are all defined as derivatives/integrals of motion so you typically do not see "exponential growth" in this context.
you managed to explain exponential growth mathematically but cube relations contextually. excuse me if my math skills are rusty since its been the better part of a decade since i took a math class but if exponential growth is a^x and a cube relation is a^3, how is that not also exponential growth?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #47
DMDZK

Drives: 2007 Cayman
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
you managed to explain exponential growth mathematically but cube relations contextually. excuse me if my math skills are rusty since its been the better part of a decade since i took a math class but if exponential growth is a^x and a cube relation is a^3, how is that not also exponential growth?
a is the constant x is the variable.

the cube relation would look like x ^3
exponential growth appears as 3 ^x

the variable that changes must be the exponent, that is what makes it exponential growth.
DMDZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #48
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #49
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDZK View Post
a is the constant x is the variable.

the cube relation would look like x ^3
exponential growth appears as 3 ^x

the variable that changes must be the exponent, that is what makes it exponential growth.
okay i get what you are saying and you did specify that you were knit picking. i was just pointing out that no matter where you put constants and variable, the relation between the input and out put is exponential.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #50
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
okay i get what you are saying and you did specify that you were knit picking. i was just pointing out that no matter where you put constants and variable, the relation between the input and out put is exponential.
No, I didn't say I was nitpicking, I said small detail. It is not exponential, if the input is x, then exponential relation means the output is k*a^x where k, a are constants. There's no other interpretation, that's what it is.

If we accept your "definition", then any "power relation" (including squaring) would be "exponential". But we use the word exponential to describe what I just said, not any class of function with derivative non-constant.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #51
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Who do brakes reduce wheel HP?
frictional drag and inertial loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Wow, glad to see someone in here understands what's important
amen!! I'm anxious to see that torque curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenadar View Post
I love curves. In all their forms.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
4 pages and no dyno sheets

fail
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #53
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When you guys say bigger brakes reduce Hp (dyno results) do you actually mean bigger rotors? If not, I don't understand how brakes affect anything other than adding a little weight. Obviously im still learning the basics.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #54
jlevy

Drives: 07 Mini Cooper S
Any dyno that measures torque as the car is accelerating sees an increase in rotational mass as a decrease in torque. There is no actual loss of torque, but the dyno will incorrectly show it as such.

-JL
jlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #55
Crashoverride
here, there, any where

Drives: FR-S SOON!!!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't think you will see dyno till the months that it gets released to be honest.
Crashoverride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #56
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
So it's going to take more power for a 600hp motor to turn a drivetrain than a 300hp motor because the 600hp motor is going to rev faster? Conceded. I still don't think it's going to be anywhere near a fixed percentage that people swear by though. If you use the internet standard 15% for manual transmissions, it takes 90hp vs 45 to turn the same transmission, driveshaft, diff, axles, and wheels. I'll stick with my fixed number, even if it's a little inaccurate.