follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Interested in purchasing a FR-S. Warranty and Service question

Hey everyone. I am interested in trading in my Corolla for a FR-S. This is gonna be my first manual car also.

I was looking over the Service and Protection stuff on the website, and was wondering if any of those are worth the money, beside GAP, since I'm gonna get it regardless. I don't live in a place where I have a garage also, if that helps. So DIY might be limited. And no prior DIY or general car knowledge and never drove stick shift before.

What are the opinion on

Vehicle Service Agreement
and
Scion Service Boost Plus

Is it worth it?

Thanks!
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
did you search?

this has been covered so many times in many other forum.
are you going to mod? are you willing to fight dealership when dealership said your mod cause the problem? yes? then get extended warranty.

I wouldnt get it though
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFury View Post
Hey everyone. I am interested in trading in my Corolla for a FR-S. This is gonna be my first manual car also.

I was looking over the Service and Protection stuff on the website, and was wondering if any of those are worth the money, beside GAP, since I'm gonna get it regardless. I don't live in a place where I have a garage also, if that helps. So DIY might be limited. And no prior DIY or general car knowledge and never drove stick shift before.

What are the opinion on

Vehicle Service Agreement
and
Scion Service Boost Plus

Is it worth it?

Thanks!
HELLO @xFury and WELCOME to ...... The Forum.......

CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to purchase a FR-S, it's a fine machine.....

Personally, I do not buy into the extended warranties on anything ...... especially an automobile.

The FR-S (unmolested) has shown to be a fairly reliable vehicle and if you take care of it, with regular maintenance, it will take care of you.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
congrats on such a fun car and surprisingly good storage room

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
HELLO @xFuryThe FR-S (unmolested) has shown to be a fairly reliable vehicle and if you take care of it, with regular maintenance, it will take care of you.

humfrz
I don't know about the reliable part to be honest .. i feel like this car has a lot more problems than i had originally anticipated
Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
congrats on such a fun car and surprisingly good storage room

I don't know about the reliable part to be honest .. i feel like this car has a lot more problems than i had originally anticipated
Well, I surmised that xFury sounded like the kind of guy who is gentle on a car and wouldn't track it much or get into power mods or tuning.

I kind of get the idea, from this forum at least, that most folks have dependability "challenges" because they have messed with the car.

However, the only thing I know for sure is that my FR-S has been trouble free for the last 2 years and 15,000 miles ....

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #6
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, I surmised that xFury sounded like the kind of guy who is gentle on a car and wouldn't track it much or get into power mods or tuning.

I kind of get the idea, from this forum at least, that most folks have dependability "challenges" because they have messed with the car.

However, the only thing I know for sure is that my FR-S has been trouble free for the last 2 years and 15,000 miles ....

humfrz
ive never tracked my vehicle or any real mods (drop in filter lol) and ive seen a fair share of problems already
ive had this car since 2012 June and I still remember all the silly shenanigans ..
from missing grommets,annoying weather strips visible on our windows, rusting between the black accent (between the glass) and the metal, leaky seals in lights (replaced in warranty), crickets (now deemed normal?), coolant evaporating, gears grinding tranny (ive had mine replaced warranty at 15k), and now im gettin ignition coils at high rpm shifts 6-7k at 37k miles. etc

not to mention the horror stories like steering wheel losing power while driving on the freeways, blown motors (granted Many are from FI, a few were still NA), bad rods, etc. :/

but its still an interesting car .. i have a hard time seeing my car go beyond 150k miles
Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #7
humfrz

Quote:
ive never tracked my vehicle or any real mods (drop in filter lol) and ive seen a fair share of problems already
ive had this car since 2012 June and I still remember all the silly shenanigans ..
from missing grommets,annoying weather strips visible on our windows, rusting between the black accent (between the glass) and the metal, leaky seals in lights (replaced in warranty), crickets (now deemed normal?), coolant evaporating, gears grinding tranny (ive had mine replaced warranty at 15k), and now im gettin ignition coils at high rpm shifts 6-7k at 37k miles. etc

not to mention the horror stories like steering wheel losing power while driving on the freeways, blown motors (granted Many are from FI, a few were still NA), bad rods, etc. :/

but its still an interesting car .. i have a hard time seeing my car go beyond 150k miles
YIKES ....... @Bonburner, sounds like your car has/had more than its fair share of problems ......

See,....... they all started when you "messed with it" by putting in an aftermarket air filter .......

(jest ah messen wich ya.....)

As far as my car going past 150,000 miles ...... I figure it will last me until mrs humfrz slips me into a Buick ...... or a Hoveround ........

Either way, like you say ...... it's an interesting car .....

humfrz
Old 10-22-2015, 01:23 AM   #8
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
It's all relative. I can live with some of these fit and finish issues. My last car ate 3 water pumps, had the pressure plate fail, and the windows would randomly stop working in its first 30K miles. All of those were considered normal-ish problems for that model.

Fingers crossed, my BRZ should be less interesting in comparison.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #9
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
It's all relative. I can live with some of these fit and finish issues. My last car ate 3 water pumps, had the pressure plate fail, and the windows would randomly stop working in its first 30K miles. All of those were considered normal-ish problems for that model.

Fingers crossed, my BRZ should be less interesting in comparison.
did they ever fix the passenger's window not scrolling down/up? it happens like 5/10% of the time for me
Old 10-22-2015, 02:01 AM   #10
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
did they ever fix the passenger's window not scrolling down/up? it happens like 5/10% of the time for me
It wasn't an 86, and no.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the info everyone, I do plan on adding some mods for it after a while, since it my first manual, I wanted to make sure stuff that needs to be fixed or replace after a while gets fixed properly, so I can use the extra $$$ to put in mods and other stuff to make it my own. It is a sports car lol.

Such a tough choice lol.
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote