follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Reggaeboyz

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ vs Mazdaspeed3

Just want you guys opinion. What would you rather a BRZ limited or a Mazdaspeed3 with the tech package? Reason I'm asking is they're both new "sport-ish" cars, same average MPG and priced around the same 27k.
Reggaeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
deange

Drives: Black 2013 BRZ Limited Automatic
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Would we rather... get hit by one when walking across the street?

I only ask because obviously everyone on this forum would have preferred to buy a Mazdaspeed3 but the allure of waiting, dealing with dealer markups, and the initial difficulty of finding a BRZ was just a lot more fun.
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deange For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-18-2013), Lonewolf (07-18-2013), monkeedoo (07-18-2013), onefitz (07-18-2013), TeamZleep (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
The forum will be bias so execpt it

I would deff look at the st as well cause it really is a good car that's a good mix to sport and useability

Frs brz remind me of the 90s and all those fun cheap rwd cars I miss
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
pmdc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've driven about 500km in a ms3, and have put 1100km on my frs since I bought it, so my experience is somewhat limited.

The ms3 is much more practical as a dd. If you have kids or tend to drive more than 1 person around, you want the ms3. If you want straight line speed, get the ms3. That said, I have a lot more fun in the frs, and it isn't even broken in yet. It's more enjoyable to drive. Driving position and bucket seat are more comfortable. Handles better and corners flatter (particularly useful for not terrifying your passenger). Looks a hell of a lot better, and I'm partial to rwd.

The two cars are completely different, and, in my opinion, should appeal to different people. Other posters aren't wrong tho.. The focus is probably the better buy as far as hot hatches go.
pmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
My Mazda 3 hatchback (not even a Speed 3) was one of the funnest cars to drive I have ever owned.

That was before I bought my FR-S though.

So depends on why your buying.

For more than just you (and maybe one other) to get in I say Mazda. For just pure fun to drive I say BRZ all the way.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I traded my SmileSpeed3 for my BRZ. The Smilespeed3 is so ungodly faster in feel, more than the specs would indicate even. It's actually competent in nearly any other respect, handling, practicality etc...

But it's not as precise as the BRZ, and it's not RWD. The torque steer is something you can get used to but it's also no joke. The clutch on the MS3 is also... challenging.

I think on a track day or as a highway cruiser I would take the MS3. As an in town daily or autocrosser I would take the BRZ. Either is pretty awesome though .
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ubersoph For This Useful Post:
Reggaeboyz (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
If you need practicality, the Mazdaspeed3 is a great car. They're also selling for way less than MSRP. Several years ago when I was in a position to buy it was coming down to a Genesis Coupe or a MS3, heavily leaning toward the latter after test drives. Stuff happened and no purchase was made. Then the twins came out.

I haven't driven the BRZ but have driven the FR-S. On pure driving experience, the twins would be my choice. We have a Camry, so practicality beyond "a back seat just in case" isn't really necessary.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Reggaeboyz (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Reggaeboyz

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
First I want to say thank you guys I appreciate everyone's feedback. Second, it may sound weird but did you guys fall in love with the twins when you first drove it? Reason I'm asking is cause when I finally got to test drive one the whole time I felt a lack of power, and I didn't get to test the fun factor out since I drove a mile or two in the city.
Reggaeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggaeboyz View Post
First I want to say thank you guys I appreciate everyone's feedback. Second, it may sound weird but did you guys fall in love with the twins when you first drove it? Reason I'm asking is cause when I finally got to test drive one the whole time I felt a lack of power, and I didn't get to test the fun factor out since I drove a mile or two in the city.
I did love it, in fact. But that's relative for everyone. What are you driving now? What are your plans for the vehicle?

Like I said, I DD a Camry at the moment, 4 cyl. So it doesn't take a whole lot to be faster and more exciting. I've owned a very quick car in the past so I know what that feels like, but it's also been over 12 years, so I don't remember it as plainly as I used to.

There are always cures to make a car faster. With enough money you can turn anything into a bullet. Where the twins shine is the chassis. It's much harder to improve an inferior platform than it is to add power, imo.

Do yourself this favor. Go find a new Mustang GT or Camaro SS and drive it. Even if you're not considering one. Try to take a few corners, onramps, whatever, and see if you can really feel the weight of the vehicles too. If the feel of the added weight doesn't matter to you and the acceleration instantly makes you feel like you'd regret getting the FRS/BRZ, and you don't have plans to add a significant amount of power to it, it just might not be the right car for you. And regardless what anyone tells you there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own preferences, and in the end its your money that you're spending and nobody else's. If you're happy with what you buy that's really the only thing that should matter.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
xia

Drives: 1995 Supra TT & 2013 FRS
I went into the dealership ready to buy a Prius but came out with a FRS. First drive sold me.
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xia View Post
I went into the dealership ready to buy a Prius but came out with a FRS. First drive sold me.
not to hijack the thread..
Did you drive the Prius? We were looking at one, a IV I think, to trade the Camry for, and it was actually a well sorted car with a pretty nice interior. That electric motor gives it a decent bit of grunt off the line too.

That said, good choice. Definitely FRS > Prius.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Prior GenWon owner...still very active in my local NATOR DC mazdaspeed crowd. I've turn just about every bolt on those cars and know them inside and out. So a quick sum up of the MS3.

1. Torque....erry where
2. Lots of space...awesome DD
3. You get a lot of car for the $$$
4. Bitches love turbowagons!

On a last note… as much as I LOVED my MS3…I enjoy driving my twin more.

Good to see so many turbowagon owners on here....tho this place is no MSF...lol
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leon78 For This Useful Post:
Reggaeboyz (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I had a 2007 MS3 with about 90,000 miles on it when I traded it for my FRS. No regrets.

1. When I first drove the MS3 (263 hp), it had scary amounts of power for someone coming from a 2003 Honda Civic (127 hp D17). I learned to manage it and it was a blast to drive, but I was always wary of corners. Even though I had it lowered 1.5 in front and 1" in back, I still felt way. Understeer is noticeable (and so is the torque steer, but you get used it to ), but is expected for a high power FWD car. But man, did it haul ass on the freeway and it was pretty nimble for a hatchback (which is what I wanted at the time). The interior did not feel cheap and I could show it off to more than 1 person at a time. I took it on several trips and learned to love my "Betty". I saw one in Sky Blue that I almost melted when I saw because it was so beautiful.

It all depends on what you are looking for. A 4 door turbo hatch is much different than a 2 door lightweight NA sports car. If you are really worried about power, just turbocharge it! I feel that they are both great cars (although I think the new MS3's are a bit overstyled), it just depends what you what to do with!

Good luck and happy trails!

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrangeJuleas For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (07-27-2014)
Old 07-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
There's something to like about the way a Prius drives, they're fairly cheap to afford new or used, they're reliable, and the car is efficient and doesn't blow hot exhaust everywhere in the middle of traffic - one of my biggest wishes that the BRZ had was a start-stop technology.

On to the MS3, a neighbor got one and I got to check his brand new 2013 MS3 yesterday. I really liked the engine sound, it was more bassy and pretty refined. Hopping into the driver's seat it was very comfortable, felt like I was closed in and encased more in the car, more than my BRZ which feels more open and airy in the interior, and I really liked how soft the shifter bushings were. Shifter sits closer to the driver so it's a more comfortable position. I kind of started to regret my decision on getting my car, but the BRZ has it's own magic to it that brings you back around to love it, things like better MPG's, the sexy body, and RWD!
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote