follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #99
lionbacker54

Drives: 2013 WR Blue 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is nothing wrong with RWD cars in the snow! Do people truly believe we used nothing but sleds and 4x4s until the 80s when FWD and AWD became a thing? RWD is every bit as easy to drive in the snow as FWD. It is just different not worse.
the driving is not the problem. i got snow tires on my brz, and it drives just fine in snow and ice.

the problem is ground clearance. when there is deep snow, and your tires are riding into the ruts, the front bumper acts like a snow plow and scrapes all the snow and ice in front of it. that is why i use a winter beater
lionbacker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lionbacker54 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #100
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionbacker54 View Post
the driving is not the problem. i got snow tires on my brz, and it drives just fine in snow and ice.

the problem is ground clearance. when there is deep snow, and your tires are riding into the ruts, the front bumper acts like a snow plow and scrapes all the snow and ice in front of it. that is why i use a winter beater
Ha ha ha ! You're telling me! Lowered 1 1/2 inches. Yep, she plows snow great and I never had an issue even when some AWDs were struggling. I drive almost 4000 miles a month so need the reliability and peace of mind of a new car. I also will trade every 4 years and get rock bottom price due to mileage anyway so trying to save it by having a beater just doesn't work for me. Besides I would only get to drive it about half the year and that would make me sad.
Attached Images

Annahra (03-07-2015), lionbacker54 (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #101
Big D Design

Drives: FRS RED - 12 Roush RS3 - 92 Maxima
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RWD and snow debate

I will agree that RWD can be driven in the snow without much problem. A nice set of snow tires can make things doable.

I just moved 5 years ago from the Northeast to Florida, so I know how to drive in the snow. I'm 58 now (old jokes are coming) and have driven in many a blizzard. I lived at the Coast most of my adult life and I lived on a barrier island. It was 1100ft from the ocean to the bay. So when it snowed the winds would whip sometimes with 40mph sustained winds. Snow drifts were aplenty and when the giant snow removal trucks would come by and clear out the main roads, there would be giant mounds of snow you would have to crash thru on the side streets to get anywhere. Yes that was me heading into a 2ft wall of snow at 20mph and blowing thru the stop sign. If you didn't have a raised truck, you couldn't get around town during a blizzard. This is a small town, so my chances of getting hit are very slim blowing thru a stop sign in a major blizzard or just when the snow stopped falling. These mounds of snow on the side streets were just insane to blow thru. I have been known to be insane as well. Did I mention that I had Dunlop extreme performance tires on the car most of the time in winter? But I had a '92 Maxima with limited-slip differential FWD MT.

So here's where I make my point about where FWD limited-slip is just better. Too bad car companies didn't put out more cars that way. I wasn't saying RWD is not impossible. When plowing thru snow with FWD like I have on my Maxima the power wheels are the closest to the snow bank when busting thru it. This gives it an advantage of pulling the rest of the car with it. I apologize to anyone that I hurt their feelings. I keep forgetting that my car had the limited-slip advantage when discussing the FWD to RWD debate. I bought that Maxima way back in '91 when they came out. It was my second one with that body style. Had the '89 too when that body style came out. It was called the "4 Door Sports Car". When they revised the car for '92, it really was the "4 Door Sports Car". To this day it is one of my best cars to drive at high speeds. I can't sell the thing. It goes thru pouring rain at 100mph like you were doing 50mph (yes that was in Mexico).

The engineer in me comes out sometimes. If you have read this far... thanks. I hope Spring comes for all up North, so you can drive like the car should be driven (like you stole it).
Big D Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big D Design For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #102
Big D Design

Drives: FRS RED - 12 Roush RS3 - 92 Maxima
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I ADMIRE YOU

@Tcoat. You are amazing for doing the FRS in winter up there. That is so cool. You only live once, you might as well have no regrets. I can't believe you lowered the car. Wow, you are one snow plow with the FRS design of the front. Props.
Big D Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #103
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D Design View Post
I will agree that RWD can be driven in the snow without much problem. A nice set of snow tires can make things doable.

I just moved 5 years ago from the Northeast to Florida, so I know how to drive in the snow. I'm 58 now (old jokes are coming) and have driven in many a blizzard. I lived at the Coast most of my adult life and I lived on a barrier island. It was 1100ft from the ocean to the bay. So when it snowed the winds would whip sometimes with 40mph sustained winds. Snow drifts were aplenty and when the giant snow removal trucks would come by and clear out the main roads, there would be giant mounds of snow you would have to crash thru on the side streets to get anywhere. Yes that was me heading into a 2ft wall of snow at 20mph and blowing thru the stop sign. If you didn't have a raised truck, you couldn't get around town during a blizzard. This is a small town, so my chances of getting hit are very slim blowing thru a stop sign in a major blizzard or just when the snow stopped falling. These mounds of snow on the side streets were just insane to blow thru. I have been known to be insane as well. Did I mention that I had Dunlop extreme performance tires on the car most of the time in winter? But I had a '92 Maxima with limited-slip differential FWD MT.

So here's where I make my point about where FWD limited-slip is just better. Too bad car companies didn't put out more cars that way. I wasn't saying RWD is not impossible. When plowing thru snow with FWD like I have on my Maxima the power wheels are the closest to the snow bank when busting thru it. This gives it an advantage of pulling the rest of the car with it. I apologize to anyone that I hurt their feelings. I keep forgetting that my car had the limited-slip advantage when discussing the FWD to RWD debate. I bought that Maxima way back in '91 when they came out. It was my second one with that body style. Had the '89 too when that body style came out. It was called the "4 Door Sports Car". When they revised the car for '92, it really was the "4 Door Sports Car". To this day it is one of my best cars to drive at high speeds. I can't sell the thing. It goes thru pouring rain at 100mph like you were doing 50mph (yes that was in Mexico).

The engineer in me comes out sometimes. If you have read this far... thanks. I hope Spring comes for all up North, so you can drive like the car should be driven (like you stole it).
Ha Ha Ha! I am only a couple of years off you and agree with what you have said. My argument is that RWD in general is no harder to drive in the snow but once you get talking about specific cars that can change. The police don't pack up their RWD Crown Vics (those that remain) every time is snows and RWD pickups can be the go to vehicle for some people in the winter.
Take a FWD car and give it the weight, balance, clearance height and over steer of an 86 and its going to be far worse in the snow then your Maxima. Then there is the whole tire thing since so many try to get away with the wrong tires and then blame the car when they have issues (see that on here all the time). I love the looks I get when I am in my low, light and flashy sports coupe and drive by some guy in an AWD car with "all season" tires that is stuck in the snow.
I guess my point is that it is the overall vehicle characteristics that make them good or bad in the snow not just what wheels propel them.

Oh, and about 70% of the people on here are engineers or techs of some kind so it leads to some interesting debates!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #104
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishand View Post
those are cheap, and kind of a downgrade. fwd 1.6l? i'd keep the frs. I also agree on the lease.

no thanks mate. cheap toys :p i'd keep my frs. s2000 is way too impractical. im looking for an upgrade
selling your s2000?
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #105
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiichiro View Post
selling your s2000?
Old 03-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #106
lionbacker54

Drives: 2013 WR Blue 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ha ha ha ! You're telling me! Lowered 1 1/2 inches. Yep, she plows snow great and I never had an issue even when some AWDs were struggling. I drive almost 4000 miles a month so need the reliability and peace of mind of a new car. I also will trade every 4 years and get rock bottom price due to mileage anyway so trying to save it by having a beater just doesn't work for me. Besides I would only get to drive it about half the year and that would make me sad.
wow, 4000 miles a month is intense. as is the picture you posted. i think what you do makes a lot of sense. if you are selling a car with over 150,000 miles, it won't make much difference if the front bumper is scratched up a bit
lionbacker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lionbacker54 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #107
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionbacker54 View Post
wow, 4000 miles a month is intense. as is the picture you posted. i think what you do makes a lot of sense. if you are selling a car with over 150,000 miles, it won't make much difference if the front bumper is scratched up a bit
It is always a blast when I go to trade in a car and the sales person asks year? Ok, writes it down. Model? Ok, writes it down. Mileage? What, puts down pen and stares at me!
Old 03-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #108
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishand View Post
I know most of you guys financed this car, but to those that leased or those that are planning to change their cars soon, what's next ?
I been looking at the M235, Genesis 3.8 ( i know i know..), some lexus (not sure about the model), evo, sti (no more hatch though )..
anyways, im stuck in between.

currently i have the white frs in auto, sadly yes AT, but the next car is definitely MT, and its also one of the reasons im not really considering buying this car at the end of my lease. by the end of my lease, there will be about 15-16k left.

i thought about just getting another frs in mt, but i think i want something different now, perhaps with a little more comfort but still sporty. a tad bid of luxury wouldnt be bad either (leather seats etc.. ), nothing major. any thoughts? im going to 21 when lease is over, going into my 3rd year of college as well.

i should mention, price point for the lease should be well under $500, including tax. im open to buying a car as well
When does the awd focus release? It sounds like it deserves consideration