follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #71
babylobster

Drives: Firestorm Red 2013 Scion FR-S 6Spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gost View Post
just drove in today's storm, if the road isn't plowed, and theres snow there, the stock bridgestones are completely useless. You'll get stuck. really woulda gotten into an accident if it wasn't for the traction control.
What if you had one of those traction board things? No idea if that's what they're called but it's like those foldable boards you can put under the wheels if you do get stuck.
babylobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #72
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have not read everything in this thread nor do I intend to. However, I hope that folks heed this advice.

To Coaster's advice, summer tires should not be used under 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes, you can still drive on them. However, grip will be severely compromised. If you are driving on all seasons, this will be better than summer tires. However, winter tires will offer superior grip in snow or ice conditions.

Note: I say grip not traction. Traction control on our cars help help keep you from overpowering your tires, it doesn't actually improve your tire's traction. It simply limits your car's acceleration to the traction level of your tires. The only way to maximize your vehicle's winter performance is to provide your traction control with more grip to work with by using tires specifically designed for your driving conditions.

I hope people understand that tires are the best investment you can make on a car to improve overall performance.

This has already been proven from road and track when they threw on stickier tires on the FR-S.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...transformation

This same concept applies to winter tires. Tires are the things that give your car grip. Without proper grip, all other parts on the car don't matter. You can have the best brakes, best suspension, etc. However, if you cannot grip the road, none of this matters.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your car. Do what you feel is necessary. However, I hope people are more informed and hopefully everyone's car will be intact and safe come spring.

Cheers!

Last edited by engee; 12-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to engee For This Useful Post:
babylobster (01-03-2014), fx35s (01-21-2014), mjh712 (12-20-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #73
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylobster View Post
What if you had one of those traction board things? No idea if that's what they're called but it's like those foldable boards you can put under the wheels if you do get stuck.

bad experience with those boards. Used one on an M3 before, put it on the rear tires, and when my friend went to accelerate out of the ditch he was in, the car stayed in place, the board flew backwards and hit some woman in the knee. bruised her up pretty bad but good thing she didn't file anything against my friend for it. I work in medical so I went and got supplies out of my car and bandaged everything up.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #74
FiReStorm2013
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcars View Post
Thanks for the input. I have a set of Blizzak LM-60s on a different set of wheels sitting in my parents garage. I just didn't expect it to snow this early and got caught off guard. Good to know the BRZ is fine with the right tires.
Here in Syracuse, we unfortunately get one of the top most snow falls. I just got my frs and was looking to get a set of Blizzaks. You guys think these snow tires will help me stay on the road (is there better tires ppl have come across?). Plan on putting the stock tires in the truck and backseat for extra weight. I'd hate to borrow my parents camry until late March to help me get to work.
FiReStorm2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #75
mjh712
BRZilla

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Limited MT
Drove to work with my Michelin X-Ice xi3, spun the tires a few times, but night & day vs. the primacy hp, I probably had traction the same ratio of time with the xi3 where I had traction verses the time I didn't have traction with the HPs. But remember to go slow, low rpms, & avoid hills. Snow tires aren't miracle workers, they're just better in the snow.
mjh712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #76
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
I've driven the stock tires/stock suspension through 4 snowstorms now.. plowed and unplowed roads, uphill, downhill, etc. I was JUST out driving in this snowstorm in NJ and didn't get stuck. I have yet to have even a close call.

If you know the limits of the car, and you don't push it past those limits - it really isn't bad. Obviously it spins from a stop a good bit, and you need to be more cautious with braking and smooth with the gas pedal, especially when changing lanes or turning..
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
woode is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woode For This Useful Post:
babylobster (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #77
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I love snow driving (and spinning out when appropriate). But it's true, these tires blow for winter and summer...
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #78
Steve201brz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yesterday I had my first official experience in real snow. Never driven RWD in the snow before so I drove around for a few hours trying to get comfortable with how it feels/acts. I have Blizzak LM60's

All in all I was pretty surprised how easy I was able to get around. Never got stuck or had any close calls

That being said, I was driving slow and cautious since it was my first time in the snow. Overcame a lot of huge hills and completely un-plowed roads.
Traction control went off a bunch but to be fair most of the time it was when I was making a turn while stopped. Was giving it extra gas on purpose to get used to the point where it loses traction and what it feels like (within reason when no one was around).

Overall? Wasn't as worried as I thought I'd be. Was actually a lot of fun being out there around all the SUV's and here I am trucking along and looking good.
Winter tires are HIGHLY suggested. Slow/steady inputs are key, imo.

TL;DR - You can get from point A to B no problem it will just be much easier for those with experience. The better the driver is the better this car is inthe snow. If you can take off in 2nd gear I highly recommend it
Steve201brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve201brz For This Useful Post:
babylobster (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #79
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
+1 for taking off in second
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #80
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Even with snow tires... Physics still will win on hills. I dont mean those baby 1-2% inclines. Last year I got stuck because I couldn't time the light at a top of a hill correctly and someone in front of me got stuck. I had to turn around. Luckily I knew the area and knew how to get to the one road that didn't have a steep hill to get home, haha.

Just have to use your head and play it safe.
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #81
CB390248

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
I have a stock FRS with OEM size Blizzaks.

I survived driving through Philly last night at Midnight in the recent snowstorm and went 30 miles only needing a good push uphill once by a friendly stranger in a forester (thank you!) after what I assume was snow freezing between the tread on the tires as it got progressively worse with what appeared to be same road conditions. I assume this because my wipers were clear to begin and developed tennis ball sized ice chunks during the hour or so of driving. I can't compare them to anything else (only snow tires used to date) but it appeared my car was doing better than the average heavy FWD sedan with likely all seasons. I definitely fish tailed a lot especially up hill but braking was superb and handling also excellent.
CB390248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #82
babylobster

Drives: Firestorm Red 2013 Scion FR-S 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gost View Post
bad experience with those boards. Used one on an M3 before, put it on the rear tires, and when my friend went to accelerate out of the ditch he was in, the car stayed in place, the board flew backwards and hit some woman in the knee. bruised her up pretty bad but good thing she didn't file anything against my friend for it. I work in medical so I went and got supplies out of my car and bandaged everything up.
So maybe accelerate slower and make sure nobody is behind the car? I saw one on amazon and it seemed to have worked for some people.
babylobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #83
raptor87

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rocking Blizzak WS70's I pushed snow with my bumper the whole way to work this morning. Nobody showed up so I went home at lunch but the roads were plowed by then.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #84
mjh712
BRZilla

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Limited MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor87 View Post
Rocking Blizzak WS70's I pushed snow with my bumper the whole way to work this morning. Nobody showed up so I went home at lunch but the roads were plowed by then.
I too was first to work on Friday. I got crazy stares from co-workers. Only had two tire spins coming in (red light & separate turn lane that is apparently seldom used) Going to lunch was fine, but leaving.... The place I work is behind a development (that im pretty sure was plowed at some point) but when I left it was like 3 inches of choppy snow (not powder or compacted on the ground) & that's by far the worst snow to drive through. Hit some at right hand turn (separate lane w/ barrier) & saw AWD cars struggling with traction, took it slow & carefully, & manage not to cross the dividing yellow line merging into the lane.
mjh712 is offline   Reply With Quote