follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #113
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OFT Review (Vishnu Tuning Tablet first impressions)

It seems this thread has become the place to write a review or at least share your thoughts, so here we go.

It's been about a week since I received my open flash tablet and it's been absolutely amazing. I'll start out by saying that as far as I can tell, this is the bargain of the century. Not only does shiv and his team provide amazing consumer service and product support, he and his team also find time to keep improving what they have to offer through their tablet, which has graciously remained the same price. Best part is all these improvements and new tunes are 100% FREE! I'm pretty astounded at how they are able to juggle so many things successfully without some strange voodoo or wizardry involved. So kudos for that.

Also, considering everything you get, including a physical tablet, I'm astounded that it's not more expensive. In a day and age where non-resellable software is more and more abundant, it is humbling to make a tuning purchase that will have potential future resale value if I ever decide to sell it (but let's be honest, why would I ever do that).

-stage 1 tune-

For the first hour after getting my OFT I ran the stage 1 turn on 93 octane. That was a week ago and from what I remember the engine felt more aggressive, but at the same time more refined. The first few times idling at a stop light I had to double check to make sure my car was on because the idle was so smooth. Driving around town, up to 3k felt pretty much the same ( although I didn't give the ecu much time for learning). And I was ok with that as the car had decent torque from 2.5-3.5 k for stock. However even with just the stage 1 tune the torque dip is pretty much nonexistent. There is this nice growl right at 4k which leads into the sound of the engine opening up. I was pleasantly surprise with the nice kick that the car now had at 4k. The way I drive when I'm daily driving is to rev up to around 3.5 to 4k, which on the stock tune left me wanting more. I never liked the feeling of ending the current gear in the torque valley. It always left me feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere and made the lack of torque even more noticeable. The stage 1 tune in itself is worth if for that reason alone. Also The upper range of rpms has a nice kick to it.

-E85 tune-

As for the e85 tune, oh boy does it improve this car. Pretty much the reason I bought the OFT. My car is bone stock and this to me was the best $$ deal for drivability and power without being loud, which is my personal preference (although I still plan on getting the OFH to throw on the stock exhaust). The torque down low is plenty. It feels like it pulls as hard from 2.5 to 4k on e85 as it did from 4.5 to redline on the stock tune. About 4 years ago a friend of mine owned an s2000 and one day he let me drive it around all day . This was before I learned how to drive stick. Comparing that to the frs on shivs e85 tune it feels as fast if not faster than the s2000(I've always considered the s2000 my personal benchmark for this car). Day 2! Of running the tune, after about 60 miles of learning, I did a pull coming onto the highway. I went through 1-2-3-4th gear and I was really surprised. It just kept pulling. It was relentless. 3rd and 4th seemed to pull as strong as 2nd did. It was a pleasant surprise. Also, coming out of a corner you've got a lot more confidence. Most corners I go around in city and county driving I come out of with my rpms around 3k or so in second gear. With the added torque throughout the rev range you've got a lot more confidence coming out of those daily driving corners whereas before on the stock tune you had a bit before things started to pickup. And with spirited driving its even better. Even with daily driving and needing to pass someone or accelerating from a stoplight, everything seems very effortless now. It's no supercharger, but for me it's plenty to keep me satisfied for street use.

I'd also like to mention I had my first cold start this morning with a temp of 27. It was 40 and 50 all last week and my car started up no problem. This morning however was a bit rough. It did start on first try however it sputtered for about 10-15 seconds before it finally settled down. Not too bad, I was expecting it to be more difficult.

I'm thinking about posting a video up soon with me driving around so anyone interested can hear some of the new sounds the engine makes and I'll probably give a few impressions too

I hope this will help anyone who is interested!

Last edited by Kronos; 02-27-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:
Garrett@Openflash (02-27-2014), krulux (02-27-2014), Shiv@Openflash (02-27-2014), Sonolin (02-28-2014), unsurety (06-08-2014), zinzan (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #114
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
It seems this thread has become the place to write a review or at least share your thoughts, so here we go.

It's been about a week since I received my open flash tablet and it's been absolutely amazing. I'll start out by saying that as far as I can tell, this is the bargain of the century. Not only does shiv and his team provide amazing consumer service and product support, he and his team also find time to keep improving what they have to offer through their tablet, which has graciously remained the same price. Best part is all these improvements and new tunes are 100% FREE! I'm pretty astounded at how they are able to juggle so many things successfully without some strange voodoo or wizardry involved. So kudos for that.

Also, considering everything you get, including a physical tablet, I'm astounded that it's not more expensive. In a day and age where non-resellable software is more and more abundant, it is humbling to make a tuning purchase that will have potential future resale value if I ever decide to sell it (but let's be honest, why would I ever do that).

-stage 1 tune-

For the first hour after getting my OFT I ran the stage 1 turn on 93 octane. That was a week ago and from what I remember the engine felt more aggressive, but at the same time more refined. The first few times idling at a stop light I had to double check to make sure my car was on because the idle was so smooth. Driving around town, up to 3k felt pretty much the same ( although I didn't give the ecu much time for learning). And I was ok with that as the car had decent torque from 2.5-3.5 k for stock. However even with just the stage 1 tune the torque dip is pretty much nonexistent. There is this nice growl right at 4k which leads into the sound of the engine opening up. I was pleasantly surprise with the nice kick that the car now had at 4k. The way I drive when I'm daily driving is to rev up to around 3.5 to 4k, which on the stock tune left me wanting more. I never liked the feeling of ending the current gear in the torque valley. It always left me feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere and made the lack of torque even more noticeable. The stage 1 tune in itself is worth if for that reason alone. Also The upper range of rpms has a nice kick to it.

-E85 tune-

As for the e85 tune, oh boy does it improve this car. Pretty much the reason I bought the OFT. My car is bone stock and this to me was the best $$ deal for drivability and power without being loud, which is my personal preference (although I still plan on getting the OFH to throw on the stock exhaust). The torque down low is plenty. It feels like it pulls as hard from 2.5 to 4k on e85 as it did from 4.5 to redline on the stock tune. About 4 years ago a friend of mine owned an s2000 and one day he let me drive it around all day . This was before I learned how to drive stick. Comparing that to the frs on shivs e85 tune it feels as fast if not faster than the s2000. Day 2! Of running the tune, after about 60 miles of learning, I did a pull coming onto the highway. I went through 1-2-3-4th gear and I was really surprised. It just kept pulling. It was relentless. 3rd and 4th pulled seemed to pull as strong as 2nd did. It was a pleasant surprise. Also, coming out of a corner you've got a lot more confidence. Most corners I go around in city and county driving I come out of with my rpms around 3k or so in second gear. With the added torque throughout the rev range you've got a lot more confidence coming out of those daily driving corners whereas before on the stock tune you had a bit before things started to pickup. And with spirited driving its even better. Even with daily driving and needing to pass someone or accelerating from a stoplight, everything seems very effortless now. It's no supercharger, but for me it's plenty to keep me satisfied for street use.

I'd also like to mention I had my first cold start this morning with a temp of 27. It was 40 and 50 all last week and my car started up no problem. This morning however was a bit rough. It did start on first try however it sputtered for about 10-15 seconds before it finally settled down. Not too bad, I was expecting it to be more difficult.

I'm thinking about posting a video up soon with me driving around so anyone interested can hear some of the new sounds the engine makes and I'll probably give a few impressions too

I hope this will help anyone who is interested!
Thank you so much for the great review! We love getting feedback like that from our customers
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Kronos (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #115
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kronos you are lucky. St Louis is only a couple hours from me. Your temp this morning was 27. Mine was 5… :-( That's the only thing that has kept me from trying the E85 map, how damn cold it has been here.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #116
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yeah I second this e85 makes this car quick bone stock. It added 5 mph to my trap speeds.

My mpg went to 20 though and the inconvenience of driving 15 miles to get gas made me switch back to stage 1. I miss it already
stevo585 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevo585 For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (02-27-2014), Sonolin (02-28-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #117
DanielC

Drives: 04 4Runner V8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So is it OK to run the E85 tune with no other mods? Intend to get the OFT off the bat, but still not sure about running a catless header on a new vehicle.
DanielC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #118
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
So is it OK to run the E85 tune with no other mods? Intend to get the OFT off the bat, but still not sure about running a catless header on a new vehicle.
Yes, not problem running the E85 OTS tune on an otherwise stock car. Although you will see significantly more gains/performance with our OFH since that was what the mapping is intended for.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #119
ShadowSeraph
Tech Master / Car Geek

Drives: 2013 AT Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Kronos you are lucky. St Louis is only a couple hours from me. Your temp this morning was 27. Mine was 5… :-( That's the only thing that has kept me from trying the E85 map, how damn cold it has been here.
^^

I was hesitant to run the e85 stage 2 tune at first in the cold, but it has started up right away. Around temps < 12 ish degress F, I have noticed the engine sputter a little for less than 5 seconds. Tonight will be the real test as it will be a low of -12 actual temp and wind chills around -20.
Hyper Black ROTA T2R 18x9.5, DSS CF Shaft for AT

-= OFT - Stage 2 UEL E85 - fine tuned by me. =-
ShadowSeraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #120
Kronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Thank you so much for the great review! We love getting feedback like that from our customers

It was my pleasure. In my opinion, what you are offering here is a real game changer. Enough to shake up the market and to make some changes in the industry you are in.

Also very empowering for people like myself who know very very little about this stuff. It makes the whole tuning thing a lot less scary and it's an awesome learning tool as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #121
J.C.

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the thorough review @Kronos. I just placed my order for the tablet today and feel confident about my purchase. I'm actually hoping to pick it up in person next week. When's the new batch coming in @shiv@vishnu?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J.C. For This Useful Post:
Kronos (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #122
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Okay, all this high praise for the OFT is really piquing my interest.

I'm still a newb to the OFT though, my understanding is that buying the OFT comes with a couple/few FREE tune files for stock and some-what modified vehicles.

I'm planning to stay NA for the foreseeable future, but I do already have the TRD Intake and Exhaust (likely will eventually get the OFH) and over here in the NJ area we have 93 octane readily available (I'm not planning to use E85).

Are there included tune files that will work well with my config?

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #123
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Yep, your modifications would be a stg1 off the shelf tune (works 91-93 oct). Later when you get OFH it would be stg2 UEL header tune (91-93). Both free tunes.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Insano For This Useful Post:
Namuna (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #124
Sniper2606

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anybody tried the tune for the SC kit yet?

Waiting on my OFT to try it out.
Sniper2606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #125
krulux

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
(although I still plan on getting the OFH to throw on the stock exhaust)
DOO EEET!!! OFH really lets the horses run!

Pushing a map to our cars with the OFT is like going out on a date with a beautiful girl. You can't wait to take her out and see how much she can handle.

Pushing that stage2 map with the OFT and listening to that rumbling OFHeader is like taking that beautiful girl out for the second date - you know how much she can handle... but now you have to start asking yourself how much can YOU handle

Enjoy!
krulux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krulux For This Useful Post:
Kronos (02-27-2014), Namuna (02-27-2014), toysub (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #126
Kronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by krulux View Post
DOO EEET!!! OFH really lets the horses run!

Pushing a map to our cars with the OFT is like going out on a date with a beautiful girl. You can't wait to take her out and see how much she can handle.

Pushing that stage2 map with the OFT and listening to that rumbling OFHeader is like taking that beautiful girl out for the second date - you know how much she can handle... but now you have to start asking yourself how much can YOU handle

Enjoy!

Haha this made me smile. The more I read stuff like this the more I want to get it!!!

It's about time I start a header fund!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:
krulux (02-27-2014)